bought used premiere 4 can’t use it!

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Todd Alexander, Dec 20, 2020.

1. Todd Alexander

Todd Alexander New Member

Dec 2, 2020

Advertisements

I purchased used Premiere 4 from Ebay, unit in excellent condition. After having no success with imputing the serial number. It would not not accept the number. Called support and After I have the representative the number on device they told me It was no longer useable and deactivated. I then asked what if any functions could I utilize with the device. They said none. Help!! A4DA9CEB-25EE-4864-8EE2-32E2556232FC.png

2. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Watching telly, drinking wine - Lily Allen TCF Club

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    Following. I know they won’t activate S3s without lifetime, but as far as I was aware Premieres could still be activated.

Todd Alexander likes this.
  3. Todd Alexander

Dec 2, 2020
    I’m going to call again and get a second opinion

4. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    You may want to double check the number. Use a smart phone camera to magnify the label.

5. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area

Advertisements

Double check the number on the back label, Premiere starts with TCD7xx. If its up running, you can see in the System Information, the first 3 of the Tivo service number.

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Last time I checked the terms page, I believe it also said Series 4s could not be NEWLY activated with a service plan. (Existing plans would be honored; just no new service plans.)

edit: Found it, >here<:

TiVo Service Plans and Policies: Essentials

Important: Series1–Series4 DVRs are no longer eligible for new service plans. If you cancel an existing service plan on these DVRs, you will not be able to reactivate them. Series2, Series3/HD and Series4 DVRs with Product Lifetime Service will continue to receive service for the life of the DVR.​

So I'm guessing the only loophole would be buying a Premiere w/ Lifetime service and getting it transferred to your account. (And maybe piggy-backing on the remainder of a existing service subscription as part of a transfer?)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    tommage1 likes this.
  7. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Watching telly, drinking wine - Lily Allen TCF Club

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    Edit date of 11-27 indicates this was a fairly recent change - guess it makes sense given the S4 age - also explains the super low price of un-subscribed S4s on eBay (being valued only a bit higher than an expired transit card and an empty can of coke)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Possibly, yes, but other recent evidence hasn't instilled much faith in me for the "Last Updated" timestamp for online TiVo docs.

tommage1 likes this.
  9. shwru980r

Jun 22, 2008
    Seemed to be much more publicity when we couldn't purchase a new subscription on an S2 or S3. The change to the S4 seemed to fly under the radar. Seems like they went to significant effort to add commercial skip to the premiere for very little reward. The apps are so so slow on the Premiere that they are probably right to stop selling service on them.

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yeah, seems like it passed unannounced. It would probably make sense to have it posted as a sticky thread, at least until it becomes common knowledge.

cjgadd3 likes this.
  11. Todd Alexander

Dec 2, 2020
    Anyone have a recommendation on what to do with this unit? Macgyver something with it or Target practice?

12. shwru980r

Jun 22, 2008
    You might be able to sell the remote, power supply and hard drive on ebay, or if you buy another Premiere 4 with lifetime service, you can keep this one for spare parts.

13. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    None know exactly what you've purchased other than a 'Premiere' that can't be reactivated. It's been suggested buying a 'LifeTime/All-In' Premiere and use what you've got for spares. That's likely as fine as idea as could be presented. There's very likely many available.
    Maybe you shop 'local' - I've a 2 tuner(OTA/Cable) that I just added a 1TB HDD to w'LifeTime, a Premiere 2XL-1TB w/LifeTime (OTA/Cable) and a Premiere ELITE 4-tuner w/LifeTime (Cable ONLY). If you were 'local' to me I'd be interested in a sale of any of these.

I'm in ZipCode 25414 (DC, NOVA, MD)

Post up your ZipCode and what it is you've actually purchased by model #.

14. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Wow. That is a LOT of issues. Most I think they broke themselves with previous TE3 "updates". But I am confused, it talks about RC42 and even RC18. My Roamios running TE3 are all RC8 (a number of "Basics" and one "Plus".) And are version 4d (after the recent update, still RC8.) Do the RC42 and RC18 refer to TE3 on Bolts only? I have 1 Bolt but it is running TE4 so can't check for 42/18. Maybe the letter after the "4" is what is used now instead of changing the number after "RC"?

15. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Wow, Tivo slipped that in without any sort of notification I know of. I'd return it and buy one with lifetime (probably around $100 or so if you shop around). The seller probably did not even know of new policy, heck I did not know and I keep up with most Tivo policy changes. If seller did not know I feel sorry for them, round trip shipping cost way more than the Premiere is worth.................

16. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Well I "liked" your post as it provides valuable info. However I do "not" like what Tivo did. Even though the Premiere is an older device they should email people about something like this, maybe all Tivo users as anyone could have a Premiere sitting around. Either in the closet or being used on monthly. So if they are currently using and stop for any reason that's it, can never be activated again. And if in the closet they might want to activate so it does not become a brick. I don't consider this a minor policy change, needs to be announced to all Tivo customers BEFORE implementation.

krkaufman likes this.