Bought used Hughes SD-DVR; questions

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by marrone, May 17, 2011.

1. marrone

marrone Phased Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Melbourne, FL
    Since I've been having technical issues with my current Hughes SD-DVR40, I went ahead and bought a SD-DVR80 off of ebay. It will hopefully arrive in a few days, and hopefully it works better than the one I have. This is to REPLACE my current SD-DVR40 (which I'll keep as a spare).

I have two questions

1. My current Hughes has an instantcaked 250gb hard drive, chock full of stuff I don't wanna lose. I intentionally bought the same model DirecTivo (I believe the difference between a 40 and an 80 is just the hard drive, right?). Since it's essentially the same box, shouldn't I just be able to put the 250GB hd in the "new" Hughes, and remove the 80gb drive (I'll probably put that in my old one for safe keeping).

2. Access card: It comes with an access card, though I've heard not to use unknown cards (any way around that? I'll assume it's already married to the box, but for all I know there might be PPVs stored on it that haven't been paid for). How can I get DirecTV to divorce my old card & SD-DVR40 and remarry it to the SD-DVR80? Or do I just have to bite the bullet and pay for a new one? What are the options here?

Thanks
    -Mike

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    1. Yes, you should be able to drop that bigger drive into your new Tivo. Hopefully the "technical issues" are not drive-related. And your old recordings will not be playable on the new Tivo.

2. You probably won't be able to activate with the old Tivo's Access Card. DirecTV will send you a new one for ~$20.

3. marrone

marrone Phased Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Melbourne, FL
    Sorry, I was away from the computer for a few days.

So definitely need new access card. I kinda figured.

Lemme clarify #1. I don't believe the problems are drive based.
    I want to put my currently functioning 250GB drive (with tons of recordings, latest software, etc) in my newly acquired Hughes box that should be identical in hardware, boot it up (with the new access card, of course) and resume as if nothing happened. This will replace the current 80GB in there.

Should I be able to do that?

-Mike

4. DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    Nope. The recordings are encrypted and will only play on the box they were recorded on. You'll have to run Clear and Delete Everything.

Also, I don't remember if the SD-DVR80 is an RID box. If not, I don't think DirecTV will activate any non-RID boxes those any longer. I think they will only re-activate them if they have prevously been on your account. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, though.

5. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    That is correct. But I think that the SD-DVR80 is an RID box.

6. marrone

marrone Phased Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Melbourne, FL
    Yeah, I think it is a RID box.

Man, I was hoping I was doing the right thing by getting the same hardware. What a pain in the neck. There's no reason at all for encrypting it to the box...it's like they went out of their way to prohibit using a new box. I guess it's a drm thing.

The biggest problem I have with starting over again is I have 200 hrs of recordings. I can buy another IDE drive, but I have the LBA-48 issue...my current "new" pc only has SATA, and my older PC can't handle over 137GB. (I used a PC at work to instantcake my current one). At least I still have that instantcake disk and I don't have to fork out $40 for another version of it). Oh well, to the upgrade forum to see if they have any ideas!

-Mike

7. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Oh, yes there is a reason. Otherwise you could duplicate the disk and install copies on other boxes, which would not be good from the content providers' perspective. Yes, it's a form of DRM.

8. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    You may want to try and get the original Tivo working with parts from the recently purchased Tivo to avoid having to pay $20 for a new access card.

9. jonbig

jonbig New Member

Sep 22, 2003
    What are the exact issues with your old DTiVo? If it is only a tuner problem, then just keep the thing for the archived shows, which you can watch without a tuner.

There are SATA to IDE solutions available which would allow you to mount your big drive on your newer PC, either an external eSATA enclosure with an internal IDE interface, or an internal SATA to IDE bridge device.

10. Duffycoug

Duffycoug New Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Yeah, I'd consider replacing all part from newly purchased box to old box and just keep that one going...recordings will still be there and no new access card (although I've never ever had to purchase a new access card once in my life, they have always activated with the ones that came with boxes I bought on eBay).