Bought TiVo with lifetime at Goodwill, can't get in activated on my account

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Bigdude, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Bigdude

Bigdude .

Oct 27, 2002
    Centreville, VA
    Hello,

I purchased a TiVo Premiere4 from Goodwill ($5). No remote, no power cable, not HDMI cable. Those things were not an issue, because I've had extras around the house.

I powered it up and hit the holy grail, in that it had a Lifetime Service on it. I did a "Clear and Delete Everything" and well as several software updates. When that was complete, the TiVo Service Account Status: was still 5: Product Lifetime Service, so I'm the former owner didn't transfer this lifetime service to a different TiVo device.

However, when I've called TiVo and they say they can move the unit to my account with of the previous owners information or case number. How am I suppose to get that or handle this situation?

Thanks,

Bigdude

2. spiderpumpkin

spiderpumpkin Say no to Hydra!

Dec 1, 2017
    Sounds like you need to find the original owner and get their approval.

3. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    TiVo has contact info for the previous owner. Why can't they contact him/her and verify the sale? Or maybe: why won't they?

4. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    No way can they do that, privacy reasons. Won't it still work, connecting using previous owner account.

5. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    It'll work, but can't stream to/from other TiVos on OP's account, so kinda limited. Surely there are methods TiVo CS can apply in cases like this.

dlfl likes this.
  6. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    How does TiVo contacting an account holder for whom they have an email address violate privacy? They wouldn't have to give the previous owner the new owner's personal data, just ask him if he has sold his TiVo and will let it be taken off his account.

Rey likes this.
  7. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Yep, as I said earlier:

8. waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Do you think playing CSR roulette might yield better results?

Do you have a receipt for the purchase of the unit from Goodwill? I would think showing that would be enough to prove legal ownership to TiVo.

9. gthassell

gthassell Active Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Willowbrook, IL
    In the past, once the unit has been connected and running for (depending the CSR) 3 to 7 days, with guided setup run for YOUR zip code (hopefully different from the original owner's), TiVo will accept that as the fact that you are actually in possession of the unit and, as long as it has not been reported as stolen, they should transfer it to your account.

unclehonkey and Mikeguy like this.
  10. pj1983

pj1983 Active Member

Dec 26, 2016
    BFE NoVa
    I can attest that this method worked for me about 2 years ago when I scored a PLS/AIP Roamio off of eBay. However, I picked up two Mini's from eBay surplus/thrift store sellers (i.e., previous owner unknown) over the past 12 months and in both cases TiVo CS required me to provide a proof of purchase. I ended up scanning and emailing the completed auction information and verification of payment, which was apparently enough proof to meet the new (?) policy.

If I had to guess, I would suspect the increased scrutiny is due to occasional issues with Amazon sales as have been reported here from time to time, and an effort to clean up the equipment ownership database after the last two rounds of PLS/AIP transfer offers.

To the OP: I'd leave it plugged in and connected for a few days to see if the PLS/AIP is still there after it phones home a couple of times. It's possible that the TSN was used for the latest AIP transfer deal but the box hasn't updated to reflect the service transfer yet. In the meantime, you might scan and send your Goodwill receipt just to see if that breaks things loose.

11. Bigdude

Bigdude .

Oct 27, 2002
    Centreville, VA
    Thanks pj1983, gthassell, waynomo. I'll try the leave it running method and try CR again. Appreciate the time you took to respond.

krkaufman likes this.
  12. bkc56

bkc56 Designated Grunt

Apr 29, 2001
    Santa Rosa,...
    I too have used this method in the past to get used Tivo's (plural) moved to my account.

13. unclehonkey

unclehonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    Sorry to bump thread but this thread had me intrigued as I picked up 2 Premieres from Goodwill and both had lifetime (assume they both were same account as it showed same zip)

I hooked them up and did a "Clear and Delete Everything" and they have been running and doing updates for about 10 days now. So I decided to call them and see how it went. I explained the situation and the rep took the Tivo #s off the boxes then asked me when I set them up, are they working, and what zip code I have it set for. Note its what zip I have the Tivo set up for not my zip. The zip code 20 miles down the road has the OTA stations I can pick up (I am in a unique location OTA). Once she had that info she said that they could move them over to my account even though I didn't know who had them beforehand.

So moral is...if you get one like this use it for a few days and let it dial in (heck I was doing multiple forced connections daily) so they (Tivo) can see that its in your possession and it's pretty easy then to transfer.

Mikeguy likes this.
  14. unclehonkey

unclehonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    Thanks for this info. I did that (see above post) and had no issues moving them to my account with no info on previous owner.