Bought a used Series 2 with service, When will it end??

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by bhutch, Jan 14, 2012.

1. bhutch

bhutch New Member

Jan 14, 2012
    I got this used Series 2 at a yard sale and it still has service, I guess. It downloaded the guide and works fine recording the basic cable I have it hooked up to. My question is: Is there any way to find out when the subscription will end (or is it Lifetime)?

Under the System Information Screen It says:
    TiVo Account Status 3:Account in Good Standing
    TiVo Service Level C:021012

Was kinda hoping to avoid calling TiVo, as I suppose they would tell me "That account just expired today!" :eek:
    Anyway.... thanks in advance.
    Bruce

2. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    It isn't lifetime so unfortunately your answer is when ever the previous owner cuts it off. Sorry to break the bad news...

3. bhutch

bhutch New Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Okay but is there any way to know from looking at this information in the system menu the date it will actually end?
    Tks

4. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    No. We'd only be guessing.

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Where it says 021012 that means that it's paid up through February 10, 2012.

I think the C means current or account current through (insert date here).

What's the model number?

It's on the sticker on the back and starts with TCD

6. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Technically they are both correct. The fact that it shows that the account is paid thru 2/10/12 doesn't mean that the previous owner has or will do anything anytime soon to cancel service on the Tivo and may inadvertently continue paying.

7. bhutch

bhutch New Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Model number is TCD649080
    Thanks for all the help, I guess we'll just wait until it quits!

8. donnoh

donnoh Member

Mar 7, 2008
    Some people aren't very smart and might not notice a $10-13 charge on their credit card for a while.

If it were me I'd call Tivo and have it transfered to my name. You may be getting the remainder of a 1 year prepay.

9. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Good, you got the right one (for someone on analog cable).

If that's your only TiVo you can subscribe to the service for $12.95 per month when the present owner's sub runs out.

I figure after a month you'll be sufficiently hooked.

Once it's in your name on your account, we can start talking about using the free version of TiVo Desktop to back shows up to computer.

How are you planning on connecting to the TiVo mothership for program schedule updates? Telephone line, wired Ethernet to home network's router to Internet, or wireless to home network, or do you know yet?

When you get your second TiVo, Series 3 or older, it'll only be $9.95 per month for the second one.

Did you notice I said when and not if?:)

10. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX

I thought about that myself, and then I went to look at my TivoHD with lifetime service and it showed C:020812 and thought it couldn't be that simple.
    I'll have to boot up my unactivated Premiere and see what it shows for account service level.

I think it is more this. The number just shows that the Tivo's account is current through (insert date here) but it doesn't reflect when a plan will end.

Let's all check our Tivos on valentine's day and report back numbers. I predict my next service level number to be xxxx12. ;)

11. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I'm sure it did show that, but on the line above it, instead of the OP's

TiVo Account Status 3:Account in Good Standing

yours probably says

TiVo Account Status 5:product Lifetime Service

In your case, and other PLS units, I suspect that it handles it as though it were a pay by the month deal and when it checks it sees the next month has already been paid for.

But I could be mistaken, sort of, about the meaning of the date.

Just checked a monthly S2 DT, originally activated 11/26/2010.

TiVo usually hits my bank account (by way of my debit card) up for that one around the 26th of the month or later, but the sysinfo page shows

C:020612

which is a week or so after the next time they'll bill me, so maybe there's a weeks grace period if the autopay fails.

Just went into the main room and checked the other two monthly machines and each has a date about a week after the next billing should occur, so I'm going to guess that the last time the OP's TiVo's monthly was paid was around Jan. 03, 2012, if it is monthly.

By the 4th or 5th of February he should probably get a message on the unit about the payment being overdue if it is monthly and not yearly and if the previous owner remembered to contact TiVo to disable autopay and discontinue the sub.

12. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    I think the C like is when the current service keys expire.

13. uw69

uw69 Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Washington
    I have a Tivo HD which is on an annual subscription and expires 1/31/2012 and it shows C:021012 in the Tivo service level as well.