bought a new tivo can I still use my old one?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by truckguyfl, Aug 9, 2011.

1. truckguyfl

truckguyfl New Member

Dec 9, 2010
    I just bought a new tivo hd because my old tivo experied about two months ago. (I had a tivo series 2) anyway can I use my tivo service for my new box the hd and use my old box series 2 or would I have to get seperate service to run both boxes?

Thank you

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Any tivo (except the old Series 1) needs a subscription just to operate, to record, transfer, get guide, etc.

If you have lifetime on the old Series 2, it cannot be transferred to another box since its locked to that one, but if its still on your tivo.com account, you can get discount on the new one ($9.95 vs. $12.95)

3. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If your old TiVo, the Series 2, expired, how did you plan on using it, with or without a subscription?

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Each box needs its own subscription, but having one box on a full priced primary subscription entitles you to a discount on the subscriptions for up to 5 more TiVos.

5. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    If what you mean is that your not paying any monthly service on your expired Series 2 about all you can do with it is watch any programs that are already recorded on your old Series 2, then dump it as I don't think its worth the shipping cost to anybody.