Bottom Line - is noise on 750gig from Weakknees Acceptable?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Canoehead, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Canoehead

Canoehead TiVo since 2004

Sep 12, 2006
    CT

Advertisements

Just looking to hear from those that already have it - what is your impression of Seek noise after 2 days of operation?

Thanks

2. Oct 4, 2006 #2 of 74
    grahamster

grahamster New Member

Sep 24, 2006
    You will hear the clicking when you are not actually watching TV and the drive is seeking or indexing. I can never hear it when a show is playing. If that would bother you then I would wait or search for a quieter drive. It doesn't bother me.

3. Oct 4, 2006 #3 of 74
    stahta01

stahta01 Simple Member

Dec 23, 2001
    Fort Wayne,...
    Bottom Line - is noise on 750gig from Weakknees Acceptable?

If you send it to me I will accept it. Unless sent COD.

I was looking at the prices on the Tivo remotes and I decided I can't even avoid the S3 remote let alone an S3.

Tim S

4. Oct 4, 2006 #4 of 74
    Motaki

Motaki New Member

Mar 28, 2004
    It's noticeable when the TV is off, but we have no problem sleeping with it in our room.

5. Oct 4, 2006 #5 of 74
    scottb4u

scottb4u New Member

Sep 13, 2006

Advertisements

You can hear it, but it is more quiet than the drive in my SFA 8300...

If you put a gun to my head, I would say wait for the DB35...

6. Oct 4, 2006 #6 of 74
    Canoehead

Sep 12, 2006
    CT
    Really? If you put a gun to MY head, I'll say just about anything you want :D

Seriously though, thanks all for the feedback - I figure in a fairly noisy family room it should be ok, and I plan to perform the operation this weekend. If something much better comes along, then the new drive will always be able to find a home in my computer.

7. Oct 4, 2006 #7 of 74
    btwyx

btwyx Substantive Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Mountain...
    I hardly notice it any more. If I think about it I can hear it sometimes. If I don't think about it I hardly ever notice it. With the TV at reasonable volume you can hardly hear it. It sounds like its quietend down, but that may just be me getting used to it.

8. Oct 5, 2006 #8 of 74
    TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    I have the Seagate 750gb DB35. I can't hear it with the TV on. When the TV is off..its all closed up in a "Entertainment" center so I can't hear it at all either. One thing Is My DLP TV's fan is louder then the drive is.

TexasGrillChef

9. Oct 5, 2006 #9 of 74
    davidwsica

davidwsica thegdgteer

Mar 26, 2005
    Are you sure you have the DB35? Seagate just told me today that they're not shipping the 750GB DB35 until the end of the calendar year! If you're sure, let us know where you got it.

10. megaphore

megaphore Tivo 750gb Freak

Oct 5, 2006
    Wooster
    My 750gb segate is more than acceptable. I hardly notice it when I'm sitting in my living room and it's much quieter than my computers.

11. snathanb

snathanb New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    I don't think you have the 750GB DB35... but I could be wrong.

12. Nalez

Nalez Guest

Mar 1, 2002
    I will agree, this is a noisy drive. In my tivo, this drive is only going to stick around until the ESATA is enabled, or the db35 hits a halfway decent price.

On another note, with this drive, I have noticed the grid guide is much faster, so having a louder (and quicker) drive does have its advantages as well.

13. scottb4u

scottb4u New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    OK--I've lived with it for a week now, and the drive is way too loud. Totally unacceptable for the Tivo application.

No more "gun to the head"...Wait for the DB35, period...

14. davidwsica

davidwsica thegdgteer

Mar 26, 2005
    I agree, I'll likely be going for the DB35 when it arrives. After installing the 750GB yesterday, it was very noticeable even during playback, quite annoying, I hope I get used to it until DB35.

15. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    Where are you finding these for sale? I cannot find them anywhere!

16. stahta01

stahta01 Simple Member

Dec 23, 2001
    Fort Wayne,...
    I never found an S3 remote either, but from the S2 prices there is no way I can afford an S3 one.

Tim S

17. Canoehead

Sep 12, 2006
    CT
    Well, I did the operation. Besides the minor detail that the TiVo utterly died when I plugged it back in (or perhaps died before, but said death only became apparent upon plugging), which led to a quick trip into the city to exchange for one of the only 2 that CircuitCity had left in NYC, install drive in the new Tivo, Error 51, complete wipe etc...

Oh right - the new drive - definitely louder than the old drive (which was effectively silent from the couch). Indexing definitely noticeable when TV is off.

Me: Hon, do you think the new tivo drive is too loud

Her: What sound - huh?

Me: That rapid clicking sound

Her: Oh, is that what it is - I thought is was the neighbours.

Me: So?

Her: This is how we get the extra 60 hours of HD?

Me: Yup

Her: It's fine

Looks like we have a winner

18. gmcc

gmcc New Member

Feb 11, 2006
    TN
    Just trivia here really, but I have a fairly new Seagate 200G in my computer (a ST3200820AS) that was advertised by Seagate as having "Seagate SoftSonic motor enables whisper-quiet operation.".

The motor may indeed be quiet but when that drive seeks it certainly makes some hammering racket The stepper is just pretty loud. Of course it's not in my living room in this case.

George

19. snarkoplepsy

snarkoplepsy New Member

Sep 29, 2006
    I have a weaknees expanded S3, and I find it annoyingly loud.

I would consider waiting until they switch to quieter drives.

20. snarkoplepsy

snarkoplepsy New Member

Sep 29, 2006
    Let me amend that: If your Tivo is out in the open, I would definitely wait.

But if your Tivo is going to be in a closed cabinet (e.g. an entertainment center with glass doors), it should be ok.