Both tuners on same channel--how to avoid?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Papageno, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Feb 2, 2011 #1 of 12
    Papageno

Papageno Member

Jan 30, 2005

Advertisements

Grr, why does the Premiere waste one of its tuners by buffering the very same channel that the other tuner is buffering? It's maddening. It's not even recording anything sometimes when this happens. I don't have any wishlists set up, so that's not the reason. Any way to avoid this?

2. Feb 2, 2011 #2 of 12
    curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Member

Nov 28, 2002
    Set up a recurring short recording (say, 5 min) on whatever channel you'd like it to stick with during a time when there won't be a conflict, say, 4am to cnn and 4am to abcnews. That way when you get up, it will likely be set to abc and cnn on the two tuners, and buffering them.

3. Feb 2, 2011 #3 of 12
    dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    ...ummm just change one of them? I just don't see this as an issue, if it needs to record something or get a suggestion then it will do so, this isn't stopping anything from happening.

4. Feb 2, 2011 #4 of 12
    rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    I've seen this happen under two circumstances. First, after a system reboot both of my tuners are usually on the same channel. Second, when overlapping recordings were scheduled for the same channel such as when recording a football game with padding plus the show scheduled to come on right after it. I haven't seen it as a problem but if you do then perhaps one of those scenarios can explain why it happens.

5. Feb 2, 2011 #5 of 12
    ebf

ebf New Member

Mar 21, 2005

Advertisements

I have seen this as well. I swer with my old S2 dual tuner, it would do it for just back-to-back (non-overlapping) recordings That used to drive me crazy. At least the overlapping situation makes sense.

6. Feb 3, 2011 #6 of 12
    rifleman69

rifleman69 Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Oregon
    Yep, these are pretty much the only two reasons why both tuners would be on the same channel. One is inevitable due to the reboot, the other is due to what you're recording.

7. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    I don't ever remember seeing this for my first 5-6 years with TiVo, but now I see it quite frequently, and this is on a TiVo HD and THD-XL. This week was really strange. Every morning both tuners were on the WE channel. I have never tuned to that channel and I have never seen Suggestions from it. My guess is that the TiVo "commercial program reception" (whatever it's called) that happens over night is using the WE channel. But why would it be on both tuners - every morning?

8. Mar 1, 2011 #8 of 12
    argusx

argusx New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    How about preventing it from recording the same program on both tuners simultaneously (one as a manual recording, the other as a TiVo suggestion)? Evidently, it's not 'smart enough' to realize it's already been told to record this.

9. Mar 2, 2011 #9 of 12
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Does it really matter what channel it's on? If I'm not watching it I don't care what channel it is on.
    And if there is something I want to watch I will have set the TiVo to record it. Otherwise the odds of it being on a channel I want to watch is slim anyway out of the 100+ HD channels I watch. So again, what difference does it make what channel it's on when you are not watching anything?

10. janry

janry New Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I wish TiVo would let the user to designate channels for the tuners to park on when not recording. I'd select a weather channel and a news channel.

11. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Or at least go back to the channel it was on previously before it changed to the channel it records all the advertising from in the early hours of the morning.

12. chrispitude

chrispitude New Member

Apr 23, 2005
    I've noticed this too. Very odd.