Both tuners dead on 2 DTivos after HD install

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by the_scotsman, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Sep 9, 2008 #1 of 14
    the_scotsman

the_scotsman Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Dallas TX

Advertisements

Last Friday I had a new HR22-100 installed along with the new dish needed to receive the MPEG4 channels.

All was good, except:

- 2 of my DTivos (DSR7000 & SD-DVR80) can no longer see any satellite on either tuner.

- Around 1am one of the four lines from this dish failed and I lost several channels.

Even if I directly connect the broken DTivos to the (working) dish outputs I still get nothing. Two other DTivos that were connected to the same switch are still working fine.

Here's the setup:

................|--.2.lines.->.HR10-250
    Dish.-->4x8.--->|--.2.lines.->.HR22-100
    .......Switch...|.
    ......(powered).|--.2.lines.->.4x8.--.2.lines.->.DTivo.
    ................|..................|-.2.lines.->.DTivo
    ................|..................|-.2.lines.->.DTivo
    ................|..................|-.2.lines.->.Spare
    ................|
    ................|--.2.lines.->.2x4.--.2.lines.->.DTivo.
    ...................................|-.2.lines.->.Spare

Initially the HR10-250 was connected to the 4x8 Spare output.

Any idea how this could have happened to both tuners and to 2 DTivos at the same time?

The installer will be back on Thursday to address the dish issue but how could the install have broken the Tivos?

Thanks

Paul

2. Sep 9, 2008 #2 of 14
    stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Did the "4x8" multiswitch connected to the dish come from the installer or is it one you had? This needs to be a "WB68".

3. Sep 9, 2008 #3 of 14
    the_scotsman

the_scotsman Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Dallas TX
    The installer brought a new WB68 (which I still have) but recommended that I keep the powered Zinwell 4x8(SAM - 4803) that was already installed.

Just an updated, the second 4x8 is actually a Terk BMS-58 (powered 5x8)

The DTivos are still dead even if connected directly to the (working) feeds from the dish.

Paul

4. Sep 9, 2008 #4 of 14
    stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The installer was mistaken. Replace the 4x8 connected to the dish with the WB68. The others can be left alone.

That the DTiVos do not work even with a direct feed suggests a different problem. Does the HR22 see a signal on 101? Did you do this test with the multiswitch completely disconnected?

5. Sep 9, 2008 #5 of 14
    the_scotsman

the_scotsman Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Dallas TX

Advertisements

I do have two issues:

One of the four feeds from the dish is bad - nada comes through. It was working but died within 12 hours of being installed.

Connecting the bad dish line to different ports on the primimary multiswitch makes various channels "searching for satellite". Connecting the dish directly to the HR22 using the bad line plus one of the good lines allows all channels to bee seen on one tuner but nother on the other.

Now, even connecting 2 good lines directly from the dish to the DTivo the Dtivo is still unable to see any satellites on either tuner.

Question: what is the difference that makes the WB68 ok to use but not the SAM-4803? Both are listed as compatible with DirecTV.

http://www.zintech.com.tw/product/LNBF/Switch.html

Thanks

Paul

6. Sep 9, 2008 #6 of 14
    stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    My understanding is that only the WB- models support the 5LNB dishes. This is not an area I am an expert on. If you posted in dbstalk.com you might get more informed responses.

7. Sep 9, 2008 #7 of 14
    the_scotsman

the_scotsman Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Dallas TX
    I did a little research an I think you are correct with regards to the multiswitch. The old one still seems to work but I'll switch over to the new tonight. Thanks for solving a problem that I didn't know I had (yet) :)

Any idea about the cause of DTivo tuner failures?

Thanks

Paul

8. Sep 9, 2008 #8 of 14
    stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Did you disconnect all the other feeds before testing? If you did, then I have no ideas.

9. Sep 9, 2008 #9 of 14
    the_scotsman

the_scotsman Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Dallas TX
    Yip, direct to the sat feeds. :(

It must have been something the installer did, I just don't know what. Having all the tuners die at the same time is just too suspicious.

Thanks for the heads-up regarding the switch - most appreciated!

Paul

10. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Did the installer plug the RG6 into 120V? :D

11. dcstager

dcstager 1st Gen Tivo Owner

Feb 16, 2002
    Skagit...
    I know this is a long shot but check to see if the coax cables you are using are bad or the end cut too short. I screwed with a problem like this for weeks and the fix was using a coax with the center copper wire that protruded just a little further from the connector.

12. the_scotsman

the_scotsman Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Dallas TX
    Good suggestion. I tried several different cables including knownn good connections direct to the dish - nada. However it was done all 4 tuners are dead.

Thanks

Paul

13. patonenow

patonenow New Member

Jul 22, 2005
    CENTRAL...
    In my opinion the RG6 cables were grounded out in the install by not shuting the power down first. Many think they don't have to do this to save time but just grounding the center tip wire will cause the device to either work a short time or be dead
    or act flaky forever. As an example just try to connect a cable to one of the satellite tuners and see if you can connect it dead center without touching the sides of the tuner thus grounding it out. After all these years you'd be surprised how many still do it this way.

14. the_scotsman

the_scotsman Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Dallas TX
    Ok, so I had a little spare time (rare these days with 2 small children and a third on the way), and decided to open up one of the dead DTivos to see what it would take to "swap" tuners with known good ones. Well, not very easy since all tuner components are on the main board - oh well.

However, while I was in there I removed the backup battery on the slim chance that resetting whatever it maintains may fix my problem - slim chance, but since I'm in there already, why not!

Well, to my great surprise (and delight) both tuners now work!!!!!

I'm trying the same thing on the other box now!

Today is a good day.