Boston Legal - 3/1 spoilers

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cancermatt, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Mar 1, 2006 #1 of 26
    cancermatt

cancermatt No Pop Culture Here.

May 20, 2002
    Newhall, CA...

Advertisements

So, the Denny Crane marriage relationship ended where it seemingly began... at the coat check desk. Circle of life and everything.

I thought it was a pretty good episode, glad to get rid of his 'wife' as a character, only annoying to me, nothing else.

However, one little nugget of knowledge that was excellent and sent me shocked was it seems Alan might have killed his ex-wife. Now, to my knowledge, not much has been said of his previous relationship, so I could be totally off base here. But with reading between the lines, that is how I interpreted his remarks. If that is so, with his character, it would seem reasonable, from the past relationships with his previous employers, what's a homicide to pile on top of it? :)

That's sarcasm, folks. Still enjoying learning a little something new about Alan after all these episodes... and that the Denny Crane (from the door) is back. Long live single denny!

2. Mar 1, 2006 #2 of 26
    Langree

Langree The Gimp

Apr 29, 2004
    Freezinmyass...
    I liked seeing "Arny Becker" again :p

I like how Denny always has these little tricks up his sleeve and never lets on no matter how freaked out the others get.

3. Mar 1, 2006 #3 of 26
    Kingfish

Kingfish "Every man a king"

Dec 14, 2005
    The "first dance" scene at the beginning of the show was hilarious! :D

4. Mar 1, 2006 #4 of 26
    crateriko

crateriko New Member

Dec 7, 2005
    Denny's line to Brad about his testicles made me laugh out loud. I liked this episode a lot. Mentell and Bathe are officially gone. I think they have enough to play with... I mean, we didn't get much with Denise tonight. And I love Candice Bergen's facial expressions. Hilarious!

5. Mar 1, 2006 #5 of 26
    atrac

atrac New Member

Feb 27, 2002
    Los Angeles

Advertisements

David E. Kelly using "I've Had The Time of My Life" with two wedding situations is quite hilarious!

I've been watching this show in High Def for the past few months and I continously notice that William Shatner always seems to be bright red in the face and James Spader in the cheeks. Everyone else looks pretty normal. Is my TV color off or are they a bit rouge?

6. Mar 1, 2006 #6 of 26
    MitchO

MitchO Blasphemer: Uses DVR

Nov 7, 2003
    Lyndhurst NJ
    And welcome to the episode that will get Bill Shatner this year's Emmy nomination. :) "I *am* the big island", indeed.

It was a little convenient to have an out for Denny, but that's OK. It was still a great episode. Funny thing is, other than lines, the stuff that sticks out for me is the things that bug me:

- Did Alan really need to include "Judge Scalia and his ilk" in his closing? Seemed unnecessary (and risky, if he didn't know the judge's politics). I suppose DEK can't help himself, which also leads to

- What the heck was up with the pro: smoking rant?! I can understand the case, but come on ... making smoking sound so good in the woman's speech is pretty questionable, bordering on irresponsible. As the non-smoking child of two lifelong smokers, I can empathize with how near impossible it is to stop in 6 weeks for some people (my mother had a pacemaker installed and still ended up going back to cigarettes after a while), and don't begrudge people who are already addicted; but for the life of me I can never understand why anyone new, in this day and age of information, starts. That speech practically glamorized it.

- It would have been nice if Eli was Arnie Becker, or at least some reference to him (if they can reference Star Trek all the time [Beam to Boston], they could have made an LA: Law reference).

7. Mar 1, 2006 #7 of 26
    itsmeitsmeitsme

itsmeitsmeitsme New Member

Nov 13, 2003
    ohio
    I absolutely love this show, but I too get a bit sick of hearing DEKs politics thrown in all the time.

8. Mar 1, 2006 #8 of 26
    cancermatt

cancermatt No Pop Culture Here.

May 20, 2002
    Newhall, CA...
    Unfortunately, it's nothing new, in the DEK tv 'verse... you either roll your eyes and put up with it, or quit watching, since he never really stops his political "digs" in any of his series.

And that's a shame, since BL is so good :)

9. Mar 1, 2006 #9 of 26
    Fish Man

Fish Man Phish Food

Mar 4, 2002
    0.7 miles...
    Mandatory Star Trek reference:

"What am I supposed to do, beam myself to Boston every day?"

Good episode despite the convenient writer's device of Denny having an ace up his sleeve the whole time, unbeknownst to everyone.

And, BTW, the show's air date was 2/28 not 3/1 (thread title error).

10. itsmeitsmeitsme

itsmeitsmeitsme New Member

Nov 13, 2003
    ohio
    I just roll my eyes and continue to watch. The show is just too good to let the little stuff bother me "that" much.

11. plowsterbabe

plowsterbabe Indentured Servant

Feb 22, 2005
    Greenville, SC
    Did anyone notice that the opening title sequence changed? There are some new shots of the main actors and the actors who play the junior associates (Ryan Michelle Bathe & Justin Mentell aren't in it anymore.

12. iDriveX

iDriveX TiVo/Mac Guru

Jun 2, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    No, Literally Brad....

Good God!

13. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    The missing interns was noted in a thread on a previous ep. I say good riddance.
    I watch in HD, too, and in addition to that, it looks like Shatner's eyes are always kinda red and watery...sniff....sniff...

14. cmgal

cmgal Member

Oct 1, 2003
    OC, CA
    How about Rene A's character asking Denise if she would consider opening her own law firm with another party(I assume he meant himself)? Was that due to Denny's possible audit or is this something he's been considering for a long while?

15. SparkleMotion

SparkleMotion New Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Alive at...
    I think it's been snowballing ever since Poole freaked out in the premiere episode. Gotta admit, with this firm it's been one crazy-ass thing after another. (Though I was thinking it would be nice to have some sort of update on Poole...always liked Larry Miller.)

Great episode. The Shat is the sh*t. I want to hear him say "get a life" to someone. :)

16. Fish Man

Fish Man Phish Food

Mar 4, 2002
    0.7 miles...
    Indeed.

Paul Lewiston has been rather hating his job ever since Poole left.

IIRC he is the one who implored Shirley Schmitt to return to the Boston office of the firm, because having Denny Crane, who he considered to be a total whack-job, as the only named partner in the office was more than he could stand!

17. plowsterbabe

plowsterbabe Indentured Servant

Feb 22, 2005
    Greenville, SC
    Um, yeah, the reduced screen-time was discussed during last week's thread. The lack of them in the title sequence is new. I went back to last week's episode to double check and they were still in it. I agree though, I didn't particularly care for them.

18. theGUYman

theGUYman New Member

Jun 9, 2005
    OK I have a question about ownership of the firm, seeying as how this came up in this episode.

Crane Poole & Schmidt. Who is Poole?? Or where did he/she go? What is the ownership arrangement??

19. Langree

Langree The Gimp

Apr 29, 2004
    Freezinmyass...
    We saw Poole in the pilot, just long enough for the men in white coats to take him to a nice vacation spot.

20. SparkleMotion

SparkleMotion New Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Alive at...
    There was also one other episode where he checked himself out long enough to do his first and only criminal defense case before checking himself back in.

I kept wondering why Shirley didn't come back at Denny with "Hey, MY name's on the door, too, Big Island!"