Boston Legal 1/10 "Cancer Man Can"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by crateriko, Jan 10, 2006.

1. crateriko

crateriko New Member

Dec 7, 2005
    Bravo... great episode all around. Alan's speech to Shirley was classic... and though it was difficult to see MJF struggling, it was still incredibly enjoyable to see him work.

2. Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer Tivo's R Us

May 27, 2005
    Fl.Gulf
    Funny as hell, like always

3. vikingguy

vikingguy New Member

Aug 11, 2005
    I also loved the episode all the stuff with denny and his fiance was off the charts funny. I knew alan would disarm hands but I was hoping denny would of gotten out the guns and had some fun.

4. atrac

atrac New Member

Feb 27, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Great episode! It looks like everything in terms of tone is indeed back on track (in that the wackiness has been toned down to a more tolerable and enjoyable level).

The classic Star Trek communicator sound when Denny opened the cell phone was priceless!

I, too, felt a bit uncomfortable watching Michael J. Fox, but he did pull it off and create a believable character. I never realized it but he reminds me of Apollo from the new "Battlestar Galactica." Is he really taller than Julie Bowen though? The last scene looked ackward...like he was standing on a platform to make him taller.

Joanna Cassidy looked really good in this episode! I still wonder how she would have done playing Captain Janeway on "Star Trek: Voyager" (not to say that I didn't love Kate Mulgrew in the role!).

James Spader...terrific work once again. I do think he is one of my favorite actors of all time.

Next week looks to be as equally satisfying.

5. getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    According to their profiles on IMDB, she is 5' 6" and he is 5'4½".

Also, she apparently has a pacemaker. I guess looking at herself in the mirror every morning makes her heart stop.

I don't like her character, I wish she would go back to Jake in Progress. I think it would make both shows better.

"Are you really my lawyer, or did the Make-a-Wish people finally come through for me?"

6. iDriveX

iDriveX TiVo/Mac Guru

Jun 2, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Star Trek Communicator

Denny Crane

7. MitchO

MitchO Blasphemer: Uses DVR

Nov 7, 2003
    Lyndhurst NJ
    "I don't have any piccadillos."
    "Really? What's your name, Den .."
    "DENNY CRANE."

Personally, I wasn't too thrilled with Alan invading the senior partner meeting. It smacks of something that would really get him in trouble .. after all, it's bad enough when he does stuff that Paul and Shirley see, but in front of all 50 (btw, 50!) seniors.

I also think that Shirley would not have slipped and called him "Hands" there. It's not like she was used to/comfortable saying it, and it slipped out ... she's never addressed him as Hands before. But I thought Hands himself was fantastic. The way his voice calmed down and deepened whenever he went into confidence mode was creepy.

8. IwantmyTiVo

IwantmyTiVo New Member

Sep 20, 2005
    I am new to Boston Legal. This is the first episode I have ever watched (I wanted to see MJF. I have to say I did not enjoy Shatner at all. I ended up fast forwarding whenever he was on the screen. I don't know why, but I don't like him at all, and definitely don't find him funny.

It was good to see MJF, but sad to see him struggle.

I will give this show a few more episodes because I did like the other characters well enough.

9. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    His character will grow on you; it's just different. It'll take some time to see through the facade that is his character's character.

10. IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo Active Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    I want her to go back to Ed, but they have to put it back on before that could happen. Whatever, she is still so darn cute.

11. getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    Well, yeah...but I don't think NBC will be re-starting production anytime soon.

12. Hansky

Hansky Active Member

Nov 17, 2005

She is actually a real lawyer in Atlanta --

http://www.wznd.net/pages/taylorwznd.html

13. SparkleMotion

SparkleMotion New Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Alive at...
    Starting next week she'll be competing AGAINST Ed...Tom Cavenaugh's new series "Love Monkey" is also in the Tuesday 10pm timeslot! :)

14. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    When the cancer plaintiff said that "I don't want your money, that won't hurt you, I want your time", didn't he just admit that the lawsuit was malicious and for nuisance purposes? Couldn't they get the suit dismissed and sanctions placed on the plaintiff as a result? Or at the very least, couldn't MJF just not show up to court and have his laywers handle it without him there, thus denying the plaintiff the fruits of his spite?

After the plaintiff said what he said, I found him so reprehensible that I would have wished cancer upon him if it wasn't already too late. :)

15. Hansky

Hansky Active Member

Nov 17, 2005
    No. The legal and factual merit of a lawsuit and the personal reasons for bringing the lawsuit are two separate things.

16. IndyJones1023

IndyJones1023 Auteur

Apr 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Denny's phone communicator chirp was awesome!

17. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    As part of the cancer plot, Rene Auberjenois' character mentioned that his wife died from cancer.

I seem to recall that last year they strongly suggested (without actually saying it) that his character was gay.

So, do you think the writers forgot or changed their mind? (Or was she a beard? ;))

18. jeff125va

jeff125va New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Ashburn, VA USA
    I think I actually find her more attractive every time I see her. I didn't really watch Ed, but walked through the room a few times while my wife was watching it, and while I thought she was pretty, I never thought of her as striking like I do on this show. Even when I watched this episode last night, I thought she looked more amazing than she did when I watched Lost (1/18 episode) the night before. And I don't even think I've ever seen her dressed at all provocatively.

It was SO nice to have a pretty much politics-free episode for a change. I was dreading from the episode title that this would be some "big tobacco" lawsuit or something, but I actually found the case intriguing. Even the premise of the lawsuit was plausible.

19. IndyJones1023

IndyJones1023 Auteur

Apr 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    What he said.

Except I don't have a wife and never saw Ed, just ads for it.

20. Kingfish

Kingfish "Every man a king"

Dec 14, 2005
    During the last episode it was stated that Bill Gates probably has the same disease that "hands" has. Is this true?