Boston, Channel 5 SD on H10 help

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by marty1966, Nov 28, 2006.

1. marty1966

marty1966 New Member

Apr 11, 2002

Advertisements

Hi, the last week or two channel 5 out of Boston has looked horrible, greenish purple and lots of ghosting. Am I the only one??

Sorry for cross posting :)

Jim.

2. Plamar

Plamar Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Central MA
    I recorded Greys Anatomy last week and it was awful. Snow, bad audio, ghosting. Hope that never happens again.

3. Seminole

Seminole New Member

Oct 27, 2003
    E.Walpole MA
    It is disgusting how bad it looks I am receiving this through D*. The Florida Florida State game was unwatchable last Saturday and I also have noticed every color of the rainbow on channel 5. I only watch when football is on or Chronicle but I have always found this station to be the worst in Boston.

4. johnfl

johnfl Member

Jan 25, 2005
    mass.
    My Ch 5 SD was snowey this morning too (wed)...It also happened once last weekend...Glad it's not just me..I only checked on my R10.

5. davsherm

davsherm Active Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Tampa

Advertisements

I am seeing the same thing on Boston 5-SD, it is unwatchable. The HD-OTA (on HR10) and Mpeg4 HD (on HR20) are very good, even on non-HD broadcasts, so I am not sure what the problem is.

6. hybucket

hybucket Member

Nov 26, 2004
    DOn't know about SD, but their HD channel (OTA via the HR-10) is just fine (except for the much-discussed audio dropouts). In the past, if there have been problems, I've called WCVB and talked to their engineering dept, who have been nothing but cooperative. More than I can say about D*.

7. Maik

Maik New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    Bellingham,...
    Last nite on 5.1 we had no sound for Chronicle. Funny thing commercials were fine, problem was just the actual program. SD channel was fine. We have had poor PQ on 5SD for several weeks now.

8. Seminole

Seminole New Member

Oct 27, 2003
    E.Walpole MA
    I have the HR 250 and OTA really sucks on this box. I have noticed since the leaves came down multi path is just awful. Channel 5 has always been a problem for me with my outdoor antenna going into my tivo box. I guess the solution for me is that I have a silver sensor that I run directly to my TV which works real well but a pain for channel surfing as I have to change input settings on the tv to get back to D*.

9. Raoul99

Raoul99 A/V Addict

Sep 27, 2006
    Central Mass.
    I've been having a problem with PQ and sound on channel 5 for weeks. PQ varies from bad to worse, and the sound is low-level and sometimes very distorted.

I fired of an email to channel 5 this morning, and I got this answer back (in about 5 minutes...talk about a quick response!):

Subject Re: Poor Picture and Sound Quality

We are not surprised that you are a DirecTV or Dish Network customer. The
    equipment that the satellite providers own and operate to receive WCVB
    is currently operating on a backup system with reduced capabilities.
    This is not our equipment.

I have been informed that the engineering staff at DirecTV/Dish is working on
    the issue but a genuine fix from them won't be available until mid-to-late
    this week.

We appreciate your viewership and thank you for your email !

Neil Ungerleider | Assistant News Director | WCVB | 5 TV Place Needham MA 02494

I figured it had to be something with Directv. It's the only channel that has PQ that poor.

Hope this helps.

Rick

10. Maik

Maik New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    Bellingham,...
    I have a hard time with this explanation. That would mean that DTV has different equipment for WCVB than ALL other Boston channels which are uneffected? Does not make sense to me.

11. Raoul99

Raoul99 A/V Addict

Sep 27, 2006
    Central Mass.

I think it's a possibility...Directv might have a weak/malfunctioning transponder, or they could be having a problem with the equipment they use to receive the signal from channel 5.

I think anyone having this problem should also contact Directv and see what their response is. This might also help to get the problem fixed more quickly.

I also just received this response from channel 5:

RE: Poor Picture and Sound Quality Show full header
    Thank you for your e-mail.

The problem seems to be with your satellite provider. They are aware of the
    problem, and they are working on it.

Please call your satellite provider's customer service department.

If you are a DirecTV customer, refer to trouble ticket number 202023. If you
    are a Dish Network customer, refer to trouble ticket No. 2101.

Thank you again for visiting our Web site!

Rick

12. Seminole

Seminole New Member

Oct 27, 2003
    E.Walpole MA
    That rteply does not cut because I have friends with Comcast that have terrible pictures from channel 5 I think they are just passing the buck

13. davsherm

davsherm Active Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Tampa
    Well time to call DTV, mention
    and troll for some credits for their poor picture quality....

14. davsherm

davsherm Active Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Tampa
    My channel 5 SD looks much better today. Anyone else notice if their was better?

15. johnfl

johnfl Member

Jan 25, 2005
    mass.
    Yup! Watched the News this morning...all better. All they needed was a little time to fix it... :)

16. marty1966

marty1966 New Member

Apr 11, 2002
    It's Baaaack.

Crap, 5 looks awful again.