Bootup issue - swap for a replacement Roamio?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by txtxtx, Apr 21, 2016.

1. txtxtx

txtxtx New Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Had a really brief power outage the other night and in the morning I discovered my Roamio Pro apparently stuck in a reboot loop. Nothing on the screen, and the green and yellow LEDs inside the unit on solid. Tried power cycling it multiple times, turned it off for 30 minutes and tried again, but just could not get it to boot. I finally ended up calling TiVo support and while I was waiting to speak with a tech I tried one more power cycle and it immediately booted up normally.

The tech I spoke with said it was likely a hard drive issue and that it can take multiple power cycle events to repair drive damage, assuming it's a recoverable error. I pressed him a bit on this and asked if there was any way to see what the unit was doing when it was "stuck", or force a drive check (I assume a standard fsck runs after a dirty shutdown?) on the next bootup and he told me to do the "Pause 5-4" sequence if it happens again and that would force the unit into a diagnostic mode.

After all that I asked what the odds are that this would happen again, and what my options were for a repair/replacement. Because the Roamio is 11 months old he offered a replacement for $49.00. So... based on my symptoms and the $49.00 offer, would you swap units, or just keep what you have?

This is the first hardware issue I've seen, and not sure whether it's a one-off event or a warning sign of more trouble to come (which of course will happen when I'm out of warranty).

Thoughts/suggestions?

2. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Lifetime or monthly ?

3. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    That is a hard call. It is easy to replace the drive yourself, but a 3TB drive is going to cost you more than $50. On the other hand you really don't know how old the drive is in a refurb replacement unit or how much longer it is going to last.

Regardless of what you do a UPS is your friend - I would highly recommending getting one.

Good Luck,

4. txtxtx

txtxtx New Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Lifetime.

5. txtxtx

txtxtx New Member

Nov 7, 2015
    I already have. :)

6. shamilian

shamilian Member

Mar 26, 2003
    NJ
    https://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-codes.php

Kickstart 54 - hard drive tests
    Kickstart 57 - MFS filesystem check

these are the 2 kickstarts you should run.

if it passes the SMART tests ( start with the short tests )
    you don't need to replace anything, just run the MFS check.

If that does not work, then remove the drive and use WD diag to
    check and zero it then put it back into the Tivo and let it reformat the
    drive.

if it fails the SMART test then either send it back or buy a 6tb replacement drive and
    call it an upgrade.

7. txtxtx

txtxtx New Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Thanks - I'll run those tests now.

8. txtxtx

txtxtx New Member

Nov 7, 2015
    The SMART test (short one) passed, but when I ran the MFS test it immediately gave me a "The TiVo Box has detected a serious problem and is now attempting to fix it." message. Guess I'll see what happens in about three hours - that's how long it's telling me it will take.

And less than a minute later I've got the "Almost there... " message back up on the screen and then a normal startup. So much for it taking three hours. Is this normal behavior for the MFS test?

9. shamilian

shamilian Member

Mar 26, 2003
    NJ
    The behavior is normal, it could take anytime from 0 to 3 hours...

make sure you run the long smart test, this is the only one which does a full surface analysis and remaps bad blocks. it can take up to 12 hours.

10. txtxtx

txtxtx New Member

Nov 7, 2015
    I'll run that one overnight tonight.

Thanks.

11. txtxtx

txtxtx New Member

Nov 7, 2015
    The long SMART test passed, so for now I'm going to keep the unit and see if the problem returns.

Thanks for the help!