Boost Network Speed

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by elictricocean, Jul 31, 2007.

1. elictricocean

elictricocean New Member

Jan 14, 2006
    Hello,
    I was really getting angry that i couldn't stream movies from my mac to the TiVo so I was being stupid and was thinking about buying an AppleTV or being even noobier, make an HME application that ran the BackRow core. But then I read on the ATV tech specs that wireless video streaming requires 802.11g or 802.11n, or 10/100BASE-T Ethernet network. I am still using an Airport Extreme that uses 802.11b, so that might make the TiVo's network speed slower as well.

If I updated to a a newer Airport extreme that uses 802.11n, would that make the network speed faster and let me stream movies?

I am also using the TiVo Wireless G USB Network Adapter, is there a better/faster one?

thanks,
    Eli

2. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    yes that is the fastest wireless adpater you can put on the TiVo. I am not up on nay ToComeBack features from the mac to the TiVo though

3. DocNo

DocNo Member

Oct 10, 2001
    Bristow, VA
    Meh, I love my Tivo, but I really love my Apple TV too. It really is seamless. I've never had super good luck with Tivo Desktop - love/hate if you will. In typical Apple fashion, the Apple TV just worked from day one, and hasn't given me a moment's trouble. Dump content into iTunes and it just works with the Apple TV.

4. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    802.11g works perfectly for streaming SD video. As long as your signal strength is high enough for the faster data rates there shouldn't be any problems. It's more than fast enough for HD streaming and can easily handle SD streaming.

5. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    What's an adpater ?

I am not up on nay.....

You should really take a few seconds to glance at what you type.
    :)

6. ForrestB

ForrestB New Member

Apr 8, 2004
    FYI Airport Extreme is 802.11g. The original Airport was 802.11b

7. MighTiVo

MighTiVo TiVotarian

Oct 26, 2000
    Nashville, TN
    Not TiVo related but...

I fell for the Apple stuff just works story and bought my parents a Nano so it would be easy to use even though the feature set doesn't compare to other lower priced players.

Took 30min out of the box before we discovered the apparently well known ipod problem of locking up. After fielding several calls from them to remind them how to reset the device I made a label to go on the back. I guess I should have used the laser etching to put the reset instructions instead of name/year/occasion ...

8. d_anders

d_anders Sr Legacy Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Twin Cities...
    I stopped using any type of wireless on my TiVo's. I've got my Series 2 DT directly hooked up and another Series 2 with a wired usb ethernet adapter to the new higher rate home powerline networking setup with the Netgear HD powerline adapters.

For my setup, I had to buy a total of 3 boxes (2 within a kit, and one separate; one for connecting the router to the powerline network, and the other two for each of the two tivos).

Note: I've heard good things about Panasonic's as well but just make sure you stick with one manufacturer and use their faster throughput devices....the new ones are rated to 200Mbps, but basically can push about 1/2 that...so it's about as good as pure 100Mbps ethernet, and better than wireless. Their claim is the new powerline specs can handle "HD" level of bandwidth and throughput required. In the end, it's what your devices can support and dish out.

The throughput I'm getting through the new home powerline networking standard is remarkable and simply is much faster and must more sustainable than wireless. It simply moves data much faster that than the TiVo's can push out, so my network isn't the bottleneck...it's just simply handling what the TiVo's can dish out.

I can perform MRV and TiVo2Go transfers about 3-4 times faster than my wireless g setup. Everyone's setup and interference scenario (distances/walls, etc) are different so maybe people are having good luck.

I just recommend trying either a pure wired ethernet hookup, or those with older houses with more difficulty running wires, the new powerline stuff for these scenaros is excellent.

9. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    Scotty !! We need more speed !!

If I give ya any more speed she's gonna blow captain !!