Book of Daniel - "Temptation and Forgiveness" 1/6/06 (spoilers inherant)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by RegBarc, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Jan 6, 2006 #1 of 51
    RegBarc

RegBarc Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2003
    I was really surprised. Right before I started it, I saw it is actually slated as a "quirky drama," and not a comedy. That disappointed me a little, but I watched and I am thusfar very impressed. Quinn is great, and so is the supporting cast. The Jesus idea I was wary about at first, but it actually seems to be worked in nicely.

2. Jan 6, 2006 #2 of 51
    dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I'd say the first 40 minutes I was worried it was gonna bomb, but boy did the pace pick up. I'm loving all the little quirky relationships and am finding I already was rooting for different characters to get what they wanted. I like this show. I'd almost say these 2 hours in total are better than the entire second season so far of Desperate Housewives.

3. Jan 6, 2006 #3 of 51
    RegBarc

RegBarc Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2003
    That's exactly what I and Iris were thinking. This show reminds me a lot of Desperate Housewives of Season 1, but unique in its own respects. Out of 10, I give it a 9.

4. Jan 7, 2006 #4 of 51
    atrac

atrac New Member

Feb 27, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I thoroughly enjoyed this show. Indeed, it appears to owe a debt to the first season of "Desperate Housewives" (right down to the cutesy sounding wall-to-wall music), but it worked for me.

I also agree with RegBarc that it was more drama than comedy; I think we can thank the previews for that misconception.

I'd also like to express great satisfaction in having a non-stereotype Asian male in the cast. He isn't a kung-fu expert and he's not an "A" student/geek. Amen. He's also hotter than hell (although he does follow the Tom Welling/"Smallville" route in that he doesn't look like he's age 16. But considering my previous comment, that keeps me safe from the law!).

The Jesus stuff really works for me. I don't see how it could be perceived as offensive at all (although was Jesus Canadian?). Interesting to see the guy from "The 4400" and "Deadwood" playing him though. He's well cast. :)

Also Daniel's wife looked so familiar to me and it was bugging me the whole episode. A quick visit to imdb.com reveals that Susanna Thompson played the Borg Queen (most of the time) in "Star Trek: Voyager."

Finally, the transistions to commercials were very nostalgic a la "Wild Wild West." A nice touch!

5. Jan 7, 2006 #5 of 51
    cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    Reading this thread is the first I've heard of this being a comedy at all. I thought it was all drama. If I had known, I might have watched.

6. Jan 7, 2006 #6 of 51
    slydog75

slydog75 Not all that sly

Jul 8, 2004
    Warminster, PA
    You didn't see the commercial where Jesus tells him he's tail-gating?

7. Jan 7, 2006 #7 of 51
    wendiness1

wendiness1 WiiMomma

Jul 29, 2005
    Idunno
    I like it. I'll probably watch it again. But it ain't no "Desperate Housewives".

There are two rules of screenwriting that I think are being broken here and I hope they fix 'em.

(1) never say that same thing twice. If you've written it well the first time, the audience got it. I was getting pretty annoyed at the repetitive references to the family's relationship, i.e. how many times did they need to tell us (in a variety of ways) that their son is adopted? How many times did they need to point out that their other son is gay?

(2) Get to it and move on. Too many times the point was made and then the scene continued. The moment of impact was weakened. For example, when the minister sees his SiL and the "other woman" yukking it up there was - pause, look again, think about it. We got it with the first look and all the other stuff just watered it down.

Having said that, I think the characters are interesting and there's great potential for some great twists and turns. I also like the presence of Jesus. He has some of the best lines!

I'll be watching. Hope they speed up the pace and stop belaboring details.

8. Jan 7, 2006 #8 of 51
    dtle

dtle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2001
    DFW
    The show was hilarious...I love laughing at religious people and their faults.

Favorite lines of the shows (don't remember if it was the first or the second):

Catholic priest: "They found various assortments in his rectum."

Later on, wife asks: "Did they find the money?"

Daniel: "No, and apparrently, they looked everywhere."

9. Jan 7, 2006 #9 of 51
    dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Even I wouldn't phrase it like that.

I love shows that demystify the whole religious angle and show people to be normal, human, complete with both faults and strengths of their own. Where the stories grab me is how it shows people struggling with everyday things and with the occasional out of the ordinary thing that occurs in their lives, both because of and in spite of their religious beliefs.

In this particular show, the enjoyable aspects, to me, are:

1) The reserved gay son who's out but not out to everyone, to whome being gay isn't the be all end-all of their existance.

2) The father/son relationship between the priest and the bishop.

3) The priest dealing with a dependence on Vicodin.

4) The intimate relationship between the two bishops, one of whome has a wife suffering from alzheimers.

5) The way the priest talks himself through things with his projection of Jesus.

We all have certain preconceived notions and the way the writers can take advantage of that yet weave interesting and believable stories while developing these characters in ways that make us care for them is what makes the show so good. Sometimes I might laugh at them, often laugh with them, and sometimes even identify with them. All together it's what draws me to the show. I like these people.

Hmmm... just was reminded of an elementary school friend who was a minister's son. Gosh I really wish there were easy ways to find people I knew that early in life to be able to get in touch with them again.

10. atrac

atrac New Member

Feb 27, 2002
    Los Angeles
    AMEN! This is something I forgot to mention in my previous post. Quite nice to see on a network show. To paraphrase the son, "I'm gay but I'm not going to march in a parade or anything." Quite refreshing!

11. goMO

goMO Member

Dec 28, 2004
    excellent show!! very refreshing. Aidan Quinn was starting to remind me (especially his voice) like Alan Thicke. He's in virtually every scene. must be alot of (well done) work.

although it did start to go over the top a bit towards the end. seeing the maid smoking a joint right where she could get caught was a little silly...

12. jradford

jradford The Jerkstore called

Dec 28, 2004
    ANyone one know if they will replay this premiere?

13. WeBoat

WeBoat Member

Nov 6, 2002
    SWFL
    I just watched it. I started it and stopped, then saw the comments about the first 40 minutes and finished it just now.

I have to say I really liked it. Decent plot, well acted, and I believe the religious aspect gives it a nice extra dimension. I defiantly don't see why some stations would not show this. I think it paints religion very positively.

defiantly an SP here on a VERY crowded friday night now.

Only issue: NBC6 in Miami, they had a major problem with the HD Switch. Never knew what I would get after the commercials.

14. balboa dave

balboa dave well rounded

Jan 19, 2004
    Newport...
    The only time I read a thread before a show airs is if I don't plan on watching the show. I'm glad I did, since the postive reviews here gave me reason to give it a try.

Other than the music (the style of which was originated by Mark Snow on the show Pasadena by the way), I don't agree with the Desperate Housewives comparisons. One of the main tenents of DH is that none of the characters are all that likeable, whereas most of the characters here are. The other is that the DH universe is sort of a hyper reality, where we can recognize the emotions and reactions of the characters, but the likelihood of any of the events happening is almost impossible. Nothing like BoD, where events are well grounded in reality.

How about Rescue Me crossed with Seventh Heaven?

I can't help but compare Daniel to Denis Leary's character on Rescue Me, both pill poppers and Jesus-talkers, with lives full of complications. Both of their main jobs even involve saving people. The shows have a nearly identical set of social and societal issues, but the difference is while Rescue Me is cynical and violent, Book of Daniel is more, well, hopeful and gentle. While I don't enjoy this show as much as Rescue Me, it's still good enough for a SP.

15. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jun 26, 1999
    McMurray, PA
    I was quite disappointed to see my TiVo recording what it thought was "Book of Daniel" only to find that it was actually recording Crossing Jordan. The program guide showed that Crossing Jordan was on now, so it would seem that there was a last-minute scheduling change for it on the local NBC station and TiVo was kind of confused. :(

16. balboa dave

balboa dave well rounded

Jan 19, 2004
    Newport...
    Maybe your local station decided to join the boneheads who decided not to air the show, as discussed in this thread.

17. vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    I thought that was a chip in his head :D

Somebody had to say it.

18. justapixel

justapixel Domestic Extremist Staff Member

Sep 27, 2001
    The Nanny State
    Boring.

19. Warren

Warren Wild Hair

Oct 18, 2001
    mine didn't get recorded cause it was no longer in the guide data. :( Guess Dallas didn't show this one :(

20. dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Jan 6, 4:17 PM EST

'Book of Daniel' Snubbed by 4 Affiliates

NEW YORK (AP) -- Two more NBC affiliates chose not to air the network's new drama "The Book of Daniel," which features an Episcopal priest with a gay son, the network said Friday.

Four affiliates nationally have rejected the series (set for a two-hour premiere 9 p.m. EST Friday). Conservative Christian groups have campaigned against the series.

KBTV in Beaumont, Texas, and WGBC in Meridian, Miss., were the latest stations to reject the series. Earlier, NBC affiliates KARK in Little Rock, Ark., and WTWO in Terre Haute, Ind., said they wouldn't air it.

NBC has 230 affiliates nationally, and a spokeswoman noted that the four affiliates make up less than 1 percent of NBC's national audience.

The series stars Aidan Quinn as the Rev. Daniel Webster, and depicts him as talking regularly with Jesus Christ.