Book of Daniel "Assignation" 01/20

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by dtle, Jan 21, 2006.

1. dtle

dtle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2001
    DFW

Advertisements

Hmmm....looks like they skipped an episode and showed this one instead. The recap had the part of Peter going out to the play with Adele, and the previews from last week had Adam hitting on Peter's boss, which he mentioned this episode. According to IMDB, today's episode should've been "Revelations".

Anyways, the whole gay plots is just so funny. I was hoping Daniel would use the gangster's orientation to blackmail him into NOT building the school. And are gay guys really able to "get it up" with women?

Talk about a powerful family. The father is the head bishop, with one son being Senator and other being a prominent priest.

2. IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo Active Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    I tried to like this show, I really did. I gave it three full episodes but at the end, I just don't connect with any of the people. Mostly, the game seems to be how many shocking things can be happening is a Episcopal Priest's life and the amusement value of the shocks are just not enough. No one but Daniel is even remotely likable. All hedonistic and self centered and just not very nice people.

If you like it, continue watching but I just deleted my SP for this one.

3. wendiness1

wendiness1 WiiMomma

Jul 29, 2005
    Idunno
    I, too, have tried to like it. I just seems like it's trying too hard (desperately?) to be like "Desperate Housewives". I think the premise is interesting but the execution is lacking.

4. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    That 18-25 year old range is generally one where nothing can keep it down. ;)

5. dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...

Advertisements

I think the characters are developing well and storylines are progressing nicely. It's a fun show with a lot of interesting family relationship stories. As soon as the mob guy showed up worried about how Daniel thought he was gay, I knew where that storyline was going. Still, it's fun to see it develop more, especially with the mob guys' brother now being a target of interest by his sister in law.

It's one of the more enjoyable shows on the networks right now. While I don't know if they're trying to be a "Desperate Housewives" or not, they're succeeding infinitely better than Marc Cherry is managing this season.

Unless I missed it, Daniel only went for the Vicodin once this episode -- right at the end.

6. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    I missed the first episode and am a little lost on who's who. Is the son that got caught in the girl's dorm adopted?

7. mtnagel

mtnagel Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    Yes.

I'm enjoying the show. And the only reason I started watching it is because people made a stink about it.

8. GadgetFreak

GadgetFreak New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Not even Jesus?

9. PJO1966

PJO1966 Hi. What is this?

Mar 5, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm still loving this show, but was sorry to see them "go there" with the gay son having sex with the girl. That's just going to add fuel to the fire for those who believe being gay is a choice.

I was thoroughly confused by the "Previously On" segment. I thought I had missed an episode. Glad to see it was the network monkeying with things.

10. myriadian

myriadian mega Pnut m&m

Sep 20, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    yup, no problem at all. :)

M.

11. myriadian

myriadian mega Pnut m&m

Sep 20, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    maybe. or maybe it'll just portray a young man who was horny. or a young man that's figuring his sexual orientation out. or a young man that's bi. or a young man that was aroused with a friend so why not?

M.

12. PJO1966

PJO1966 Hi. What is this?

Mar 5, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA

I undederstand the shades of gray in such situations. Not all do.

13. BrandonSi

BrandonSi New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Chicago, IL...
    I can't help it, I really like this show! They need to promote this more, the initial debate was good for garnering interest but I don't think it got the kind of attention it deserved. I'm enjoying every minute of it :)

14. Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    I was completely confused by the previously on section as well. I still had the previous episode saved on the TiVo and went back to check to see if I had missed something.

I wonder why the network skipped that one....

15. Royster

Royster Beardy

May 24, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    When someone has not yet fully come out, they'll do a lot to keep their cover from being blown. This kid has come out to his immediate family, but he's not yet ready to face the larger world with the truth about himself.

Is he really the Presiding Bishop? I was under the impression he was a retired diocesan bishop -- the current bishop's predecessor.

Note: there's a synopsis of the "skipped" episode on the NBC website. http://www.nbc.com/The_Book_of_Daniel/

16. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    Rumor has it this is now cancelled.

17. mtnagel

mtnagel Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    They didn't even give it a chance :confused:

18. Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    I hope it isn't cancelled. It's an interesting show. I like wise-cracking Jesus.

19. woyton

woyton New Yorker no more

Mar 2, 2001
    Sharon, CT
    I agree completely. I am very glad I recorded the pilot and have eagerly awaited each subsequent episode.

20. dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    "Rumor" is that if there's anything questionable, it's "will it return after the olympics are over to show the final 2 episodes from the midseason order."