Boo to TiVo for cancellation process

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by taggartcontact, Jul 10, 2007.

1. taggartcontact

taggartcontact New Member

Jul 8, 2007

Advertisements

Warning: content may include ranting!

So we dropped $800 + tax on the HD series 3 to match our nice new HDTV and then we dropped $300 more for the 3 years prepay (1 year free, yay). I am going to round this total to approx $1150.

So I activate the service online following TiVo's instructions, then notice I have to cancel the old series 2 monthly subscription.

But you can't do a cancellation online! Why? No comment is found about "why" and in fact it doesn't even clearly say "just call for cancellations" which is in fact the policy. So I wasted a lot of time looking for the option. But c'mon, secret policies from TiVo? Unnecessary and unexplained hurdles to cancellation? But we love our old pal TiVo, Inc. They can't be behaving like a cell phone company.... can they?

The plot thickens. I call at night, endure annoying
    "computer-voice-tree-talks-like-a-person-and-demands-spoken-answers-even-if-i-prefer-pressing-a-button"
    to find out I have to talk to a person. I call back during day, endure annoying
    "computer-voice-tree-talks-like-a-person-and-demands-spoken-answers-even-if-i-prefer-pressing-a-button"
    to wait on hold for 20-ish mins. I finally get a person and immediately realize the reason I am being forced to waste my time with this is so they can give me the Pitch. The Pitch is to offer to pay for some more months if I won't cancel, and instead sign a contract. Wouldn't I like to try out the convenience of 2 TiVos? I could transfer .... oops pitch is wrong there, the Series 3 won't transfer... etc. Knowing I would write this post, I looked at the time on my phone handset when I hung up from that call after another 4 min wait on hold for a confirmation number (yes, they refused to send a confirming email)... and the time was 29:57.

Absolutely ridiculous. I spend $1150 and TiVo wants to waste 30+ mins of my time for marketing? C'mon, we're all on the new wave, open source, techno-hippie same side here, aren't we? TiVo isn't just a gadget, it's a lifestyle!

It's supposed to sell itself without the hard sell tactics. TiVolution.

Action items:
    - get a cancellation option online
    - give phone staff the mandate to provide confirming emails upon request

If TiVo, Inc. can't manage these 2 action items, I propose we demote it down to "mainstream corporate America" from its current ranking of "one of the companies that gets it."

Thank you for reading!

2. bpurcell

bpurcell TMBG Fan

Mar 16, 2005
    Fairfield, CA
    I'm sorry, but you're ranting about having to spend 30 minutes on the phone to cancel your service??? I've had plenty of other subscriptions with various companies where I had to wait an hour or more. As for lack of online canceling, you're experience is EXACTLY why companies like TiVo require you to call. They don't want people to cancel off-the-cuff and hope to convince you to stay. That's hardly a TiVo-only practice. I don't know of any cable, satellite, or phone company that has online cancellation.

3. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Welcome to the Hotel California.

4. Adam1115

Adam1115 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    He's not canceling his service. His upgrading his old TiVo to a NEW one. They totally should've allowed him to complete the transaction online..

5. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX

Advertisements

Man, this thread and others I've read in the past make me hope I NEVER have to call Tivo. :(

6. taggartcontact

taggartcontact New Member

Jul 8, 2007
    Thank you bpurcell for your reply!

Sounds like you are already willing to lump TiVo in with the big, bad, media dinosaur guys! Is it a TiVolution or not? Trust the user to know what shows they want to watch when they want to watch them ... is very similar to trusting the user to knowing when they want to cancel.

Additionally, a cancellation option when I have just upgraded to series 3 is the context of my complaint .... I am remaining a customer, don't you get it? Why do I need to waste my time on the leaving customer pitch? Where's that well-thought-out interface?

Final remark: if that is honestly the policy, let's just put it right there on the web site.

7. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Meet the new boss,
    Same as the old boss

8. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    If he's not cancelling, why is he complaining about the cancellation process?

9. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    Why do you have to cancel the S2?

10. Y-ASK

Y-ASK Why Ask?

Aug 17, 2001
    Leonardtown,...
    That would be Tivo Inc. in 2001 not 2007...

Y-ASK

11. zoma4

zoma4 New Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Alpharetta, GA
    I cannot stand this kind of logic!

OP, your problem isn't legit because someone else once had to wait longer for something else. Also, other companies do this, and sometimes worse, so TiVo isn't at fault.

12. bpurcell

bpurcell TMBG Fan

Mar 16, 2005
    Fairfield, CA
    It's not a logic argument; it's a perspective argument. I frankly don't see anything bad that TiVo did.

He spent 30 minutes total to cancel his service. Yes, it's annoying but definitely not unusual in the tech subscription business.

He couldn't cancel online. This is common business practice to avoid people canceling on a whim.

They tried to offer him bonus months to keep the box subscribed. What's wrong with that? Again, this is common business practice. TiVo would be stupid NOT to offer specials to keep customers subscribed.

I know we all like to think of TiVo as a different kind of company, but they have shareholders just like any other public company. Their goal is to make a profit, first and foremost. I agree that their CSR need A LOT of improvement in customer relations (and their hold times do need to come down), but I am not going to fault them for doing common sense business practices.

13. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Get AOL then try to cancel it, and TiVo will look real good for their cancellation policy. (this was true a year or two ago with AOL I do not know what it is like now)

14. minckster

minckster New Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Manhattan NYC
  15. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    Bad, perhaps not.

Stupid, yes. They have you call in to attpempt to save then make you wait on hold 30 minutes before giving you the save pitch. Perhaps they should have a cancel option on the menu that will put the caller to the front of the queue so there will be a chance for a save. I don't know who'd stay with a company that just made them hold for 30 minutes???

When I'm on hold I always vision a group of employee's betting how long I will hold before I hang up. After twenty minutes or so they think, "well this nut won't hang up so somebody better answer". :)

16. bpurcell

bpurcell TMBG Fan

Mar 16, 2005
    Fairfield, CA
    +1
    I've had that exact same vision! :D

17. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    He's totally cancelling his Series2 service.
    They totally have done it this way for years.
    If they totally allowed you to cancel TiVo service online people would be calling TiVo to say - I must have done something wrong at your website, my TiVo service is totally gone. They would rant on the phone to the TiVo Rep. and here about how totally stupid it is to have an option to totally cancel online.

18. Adam1115

Adam1115 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    He had service before, he has service now. He's UPGRADING not canceling. It's NOT the same thing. When he activates his NEW Series 3 on his EXISTING account, all it would have to do is simply ASK him if he is REPLACING a current TiVo or adding an ADDITIONAL TiVo! It's not as complicated as you are making it. They don't need to allow you to cancel online (even though there's nothing wrong with that, why would that be a stupid option?? Why would anyone complain about an option to cancel online? :confused: ).

When you buy a new cell phone, do you end up with two services, one of which you have to cancel??

19. bpurcell

bpurcell TMBG Fan

Mar 16, 2005
    Fairfield, CA
    This is not really a fair comparison. If the OP had transfered his current S2 subscription to the S3, then your question fits, and he wouldn't have needed to cancel his S2 service separately. What he did is more like someone that activates a phone with a different phone number and then have to separately cancel the service to the old phone.

20. Blurayfan

Blurayfan Active Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Could the OP have used the change service number option to avoid the cancel hassle and having to purchase new service on the Series3? I've not used it myself due to Lifetime but I thought you could move service between non lifetime units online.