"Bones" - Did Anyone See The Hour-Long Commercial for "Avatar" on Fox last night?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by aintnosin, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Dec 4, 2009 #1 of 61
    aintnosin

aintnosin [Spoiler]

Jun 25, 2003
    Lake Forest, CA

Advertisements

Okay, it was officially an episode of "Bones" but they managed to work in an entire sub-plot about Sweets, Hodgins and intern Fisher standing in line to see the new James Cameron movie.

Apparently, according to this episode, you can have sex with beatiful women while waiting to see this movie, even if you are depressed loser like Fisher.

Now that's a sales pitch!

2. Dec 4, 2009 #2 of 61
    TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    Ya, I thought it was a bit much. The more an more trailers I see for this movie, the more and more I don't want to see it.

3. Dec 4, 2009 #3 of 61
    Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    +100

4. Dec 4, 2009 #4 of 61
    Azlen

Azlen Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    Are there actually people camping out for this thing?? I think most sci-fi nuts are taking more of a wait and see approach then a "we have to see the thing now" attitude. Unless it's much better than expected, I think it's going to cost some studios a lot of money and maybe even a job or two.

5. Dec 4, 2009 #5 of 61
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis

Advertisements

Oh, come on! The Avatar commercial couldn't have been more than 10-15 minutes long! :D

6. Dec 4, 2009 #6 of 61
    Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Something tells me this kind of film has a very narrow appeal to a very narrow overall niche of people.

It's probably not going to pull in the average crowd that would go see Titanic etc.

Should be interesting to see how it turns out...I have no desire to see it at the theater or rent it, but I'm sure there will be a niche of folks around here who will buy advance tickets for the first day showing.

7. Dec 4, 2009 #7 of 61
    SorenTodd

SorenTodd New Member

May 26, 2009
    That camping thing was sooooo ridiculous. It looked like they were all waiting for Springsteen tickets or something similar.

A movie like Avatar is going to have midnight showings and play in multiple screens, so what's the point of camping out? Isn't it like freezing cold outside in D.C. during December?

I might catch the movie when it comes to premium cable. But to pay 10 bucks to see it? Not a chance.

8. Dec 4, 2009 #8 of 61
    IndyJones1023

IndyJones1023 Auteur

Apr 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    I don't watch this show, and I understand the synergy of a Fox movie being written into the plot of a Fox show and a cross promotion, but would it have perturbed you all less if it was a fictional sci-fi movie? What if it was Star Raiders of Moon Base Epsilon?

9. Dec 4, 2009 #9 of 61
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    It probably wouldn't have happened. It didn't really fit in with the characters very well, and it wasn't integrated at all well with the plot (which is pretty amazing considering the story was about the death of a computer gamer--you'd think it would have been a lay-up to tie it in tightly!).

At least if they did Star Raiders of Moon Base Epsilon, they would have done it for some reason...it wouldn't have just been tacked on crudely.

They actually literally showed the characters watching, and commenting on, a commercial for Avatar, trying to sell the movie to a skeptical colleague!

10. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    The other half of this episode was about a gammer who died. He played a game called Punky Pong, which was I figure is a take on Donkey kong? That didn't bothe me so much. If it was Donkey Kong, and Nintendo was releasing the new version this week, yes I bet it would.

11. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    I thought it was tastefully done. That's what product placement is going to look like, folks. Get used to it, or switch to Netflix for all your video needs.

12. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I agree with bicker ( :eek: ) .

13. zuko3984

zuko3984 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2002
    What good is switching to Netflix going to do. This episode will be exactly the same on dvd from netflix as it was when it aired. Unless you are saying to stop watching tv shows and only watch movies?

14. Boston Fan

Boston Fan Active Member

Feb 7, 2006
    Eastern PA
    This makes no sense.

15. meglet

meglet Active Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Apparently, I am not as aware of new movies as I thought I was. I honestly thought they were lining up for a fictional movie, and was surprised they used a real director (James Cameron) in what I thought was a fake movie trailer.

Watching the show thinking it was a fake movie, I wasn't annoyed, and just figured it was another one of the less-than-stellar b-plots. Now that I'm aware it's a real movie, I'm not annoyed, and don't think it's any more annoying than when they zoom in on someone's hand on a mouse for a useless 15-20 seconds. At least with this episode, they TRIED to do something interesting.

16. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Nothing I've seen has convinced me to see this movie in the theater.

17. rgr

rgr Member

Feb 21, 2003
    This is the kind of product placement I like, more like what might happen in real life - like stopping at Starbucks for coffee rather than some made up Coffebucks stand.

Also interesting that the actor that plays Fisher has a role in Avatar - just saw an ad on tv with him piloting one of the air vehicles.

18. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Plot wise, I agree. However, I'd like to go to the IMAX 3D showing just for the visual effects.

19. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I didn't see this episode, but there were girls camping out for the new Twilight movie, so that part isn't unrealistic.

20. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    Duh... that's true. I dunno what I was thinking.

Yeah, so just get used to it.

Period.

The tastefully done makes sense, but the wait for Netflix doesn't -- true. See above.