Bones 4-21-2011

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Fl_Gulfer, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer Tivo's R Us

May 27, 2005
    Fl.Gulf
    Tonight's episode of 'Bones' will give us our first look at the characters in the planned spinoff called 'The Finder'.

Based on 'The Locator' books written by Richard Greener, the spinoff will center on a former military policeman (Geoff Stults) who can find anything and his confidante and bar owner sidekick (Saffron Burrows).

2. bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance TCF Club

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    Sounds interesting. :)

3. Rocketslc

Rocketslc Active Member

Jan 4, 2004
    SLC, Utah...
    Thanks for the heads up. My guide lists it as a repeat with an original air date of 04/21/2011 (wth). It wouldn't have recorded.

4. rloper

rloper Is there an answer?

Mar 25, 2002
    Texas
    So far so good (about 1/2-way). Saffron Burrows and Mini Anden...Yum!

5. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I found this episode extremely annoying, as with most "back door pilots." It wasn't an episode of Bones at all... it was this new series, with just enough appearances by the Bones cast to remind you that you what show you should have been seeing during that time slot. The shows didn't even really seem to have the same style, so it was really weird for me when they occasionally switched back to the Bones world.

6. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    That was awful. Not only was it not Bones, the characters from the new show are cringe worthy. And the story did not even make sense. The key development was Angela reconstructing the treasure map and Hodgins naming the initial (wrong) prime meridian. Then Booth and Bones sit around while Braindamage goes diving and finds the body and chart. From there, it wasn't difficult to find the real treasure, but again Bones and Booth sit it out, even though they figure it out themselves. Just awful in every way.

7. headroll

headroll Let em' Roll

Jan 20, 2003
    Long...
    I got very comforatable with Bones over the years and could not watch this.

I found myself having to pay way to much attention where normally it comes natural to watch. Turned off after 10 minutes. Will try again this weekend.

-roll

8. Idearat

Idearat Active Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    I've seen other back-door pilots over the years and some were even crafted well enough that you had no clue that's what they were. But this was the most ham-fisted attempt to force people to watch a pilot when they tuned in to see another show I've ever seen.

I think they used the same person to orchestrate it that came up with the "lets have the characters take a drive from nowhere to nowhere and talk about the new car they're in so we can sneak in a car commercial" idea.

The pilot itself didn't do it for me at all. There were a few scenes where it sounded like they told Saffron Burrows "dial up th English accent a bunch" The first time I thought it was supposed to be a joke.

If this is a pilot to gauge reaction, I wonder how it will be done. Do they take the ratings from everyone who watched thinking it was a Bones episode and use that as the numbers for the "pilot"?

9. cmgal

cmgal Member

Oct 1, 2003
    OC, CA
    I fast forwarded thru the non-Bones scenes and will not be watching the new show.
    All three character were annoying.

10. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Plus, they show the Locator people figuring out the location... then what seemed like 10 minutes later, you see the Bones crew back at the Jeffersonian suddenly figuring the exact same thing out. It was as if I suddenly had deja vu... some of the dialogue was even identical.

11. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    I wonder if the Bones writers wrote the episode normally, and then the script went to the writers for the other show, and they just inserted their characters. Because it seemed like the Jeffersonian people could have solved it all themselves, but instead they just sat around waiting for the other characters to solve it.

Also, finding Bones' lost stuff was stupid. For the rest of the show, although they talked up Braindamage as a psychic, he was actually kind of an annoying Sherlock Holmes type, no supernatural abilities required. But with Bones' lost stuff, it did seem like he was psychic, since he had so little to go on and somehow found the stuff in the middle of working on the other case.

12. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    Big waste of time. It should have been a stand on it's own show and not piggie backed on to Bones.

13. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    "I'ma pass on it."

14. nlsinger

nlsinger w00tever

Feb 8, 2006
    Eucalyptusla...
    The sooner it gets cancelled, the sooner one of you can leave that actor on my porch. Please! :D

15. Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    I guess I'm in the minority. I kind of liked the new show.

16. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    In a way, it was kind of refreshing...the Bones people have given up even trying; it's just the same old same old, week after week. It was a bit of a jolt to see something a little different

For some reason, most hit shows reach a point where they just coast. Sometimes I guess it's because they're afraid to tamper with a successful formula, sometimes because they just get lazy, and probably most of the time a mix of the two. But Bones definitely reached that point a long time ago.

17. Thom

Thom Unemployed and loving it !

Jun 5, 2000
    Southern Calif.
    I was wondering why this Bones episode had such high profile guest stars...

18. eddyj

eddyj SeƱor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    I might give it a shot, but as someone said, it was a pretty transparent way to sneak in a pilot into an existing show.

19. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I was more annoyed by, as Idearat aptly put it, ham-fisted way they jammed this show into the middle of Bones. I wouldn't have been as annoyed as I was and might have been willing to give it somewhat more of a chance had it been presented as what it truly was, the first episode of a new series, even if they made absolutely no changes to the episode save that.

20. zuko3984

zuko3984 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2002
    I liked the new show. As far as the whole idea of the new show taking over an episode of a popular show I'm surprised it's bothering people. It's not like this is the first time this has happened. Plenty of examples of backdoor pilots taking over an episode of the main show where in many cases the main characters aren't even in the episode at all.