Bonded MoCA

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by VicVinegar, Jun 24, 2019.

1. VicVinegar

VicVinegar New Member

Sep 18, 2015

Advertisements

Simple question - can't seem to find a straightforward answer.

Can I deploy 3+ of the bonded MoCA adapters (Motorolas) and get the same "better" speed over a standard adapter?

I just got my two MM1000s running and was impressed with the speed test results. I have some old Netgear MCA1001 v1 MoCA adapters, but they aren't going to be as fast. If I bought another MM1000, does it still benefit from the "bonded" aspect? Or should I just deploy the Netgears and save my money? Thanks for the help.

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    MoCA is peer-to-peer, so any 2 nodes will attempt to communicate with each other at the highest MoCA spec supported by both nodes.

So, an additional MM1000 should communicate with any other existing MM1000 at bonded MoCA 2.0 rates (assuming the coax plant allows), but will communicate with lesser MoCA nodes at the lesser node's MoCA spec.

3. VicVinegar

VicVinegar New Member

Sep 18, 2015
    Thanks - one more MM1000 for the basement then, and I can use the lesser MoCA adapters in less used spots.

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Or setup two MoCA networks, to squeeze a bit more throughput out of your coax, as allowed by the MoCA 2.0 spec (pg. 6)