Bolts tuning adapters and Spectrum Hawaii

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by rover1, Oct 8, 2020.

1. rover1

rover1 New Member TCF Club

Nov 14, 2001
    Honolulu,...

Advertisements

I apologize in advance that this is kind of long-- and maybe should be in another forum--
    I am having extreme difficulty with Spectrum Hawaii concerning my 3 TIVOs w/tuning adapters. In Jan 2020 I moved 3 blocks up the street (Waikiki Honolulu HI). My service had been basically flawless (with an occasional need to have them send me a hit or hits which would clear up the issue) but since the move where they had to install cables/splitters/signal boosters since my new building had originally had Spectrum but had switched over to HawnTel.com. The tech came in and spent basically all day getting everything set up and when he left basically everything was working. BUT THEN to problems began. A couple of weeks later I went to view (and record) something on a Starz channel and nothing would tune. Various errors V53 V58 D256. Called Spectrum--"must be your equipment--we need to send tech".. which they did very quickly. They checked all the connections and signals etc and said everything was fine on my end. But Starz/Encore/FLIX would not tune. Called Spectrum again--got local Customer Service involved after a couple of hits did nothing and a supervisor got involved and spent several hours making sure everything was provisioned correctly on their end. Finally on the next day the supervisor called and said some things were not correct but that she had redone everything. Still nothing worked. So I waited a couple or 3 weeks to see if something "magical" would clear things up as they had sometimes at the old place. No luck. Called Spectrum again and they said they would send a tech--again very quickly but same results--nothing helped. The tech did ask what zip code I was using for my setup--I said 96815 which is the zip code and what I used down the street. He said they have 3 different zip codes that they (the techs) found sometimes worked better. He gave me the 3 zips--2 were on Hawaii Island and 1 was on Kauai Island. I tried all 3--Kauai was out because I could not use the HNL Spectrum setup but the other 2 did offer the choice. Nothing really helped. Called Spectrum--another truck roll. This time it was the same tech who had done the original install. He did all sorts of tests--everything looked good--he called a friend in tech and that one made a suggestion which the tech said he would check out and also said he was embarrassed that he had not thought of that first. He went downstairs (condo bldg) and was gone a while. Came back and said try it now... BINGO. Everything fine. He remarked that 1-he had to climb a pole and also that in his earlier checks that day he found that the day after his initial install "they-whoever they were" had turned off the Starz/Encore/FLIX and that I would never have been able to get them after that day. But all was fixed and working and he left. Fast forward a couple of months--one day I was actually watching a Starz channel and it went black. Back to square one. "We need to send a tech-- I told the guy to forget that-it would just be a waste of time." I also have the Spectrum DVR so if I wanted to use Starz group I would have to use that--it worked flawlessly. Waited about 5 weeks--called again and they sent another tech (the one who had come the 2nd time). All checks were fine. No Starz etc... He said to just try something- try tuning in a Starz channel on Spectrum DVR and then go to a TIVO and try to tune the same channel-- worked like a charm. So suggested I could use that as a crutch while they would check to see what might be a problem on their end. Now after about 5 months (and 1 follow up call from tech supvr on 06AUG--useless) that's where I stand. I can tune up to 3 channels on the Spectrum DVR and then can use any of the 3 Tivos to watch or record stuff. If I change to a 4th channel on Spectrum then it will replace one of the 3 on any TIVO. I have a couple of questions I would like to ask the group before I once again call tech. I am attaching a couple of files that show the local channel list. All of which I am set up for (and can use--with the Spectrum crutch). Note that some channels are East Coast feeds and some are West Coast feeds--some of the 3 digit channels match the corresponding 4 digit (HD) but most are a mish-mash. The mish-mash is actually what Spectrum DVR uses. Might that have some type of issue with the tuning adapters becoming confused--either on my end or Spectrum's? Sorry for the length but I hope that might shed some light. BTW-- 1 TIVO Bolt Vox (black) 1 TIVO BOLT (white) and 1 TIVO XL4 - Premeire. Also--the CS folks wanted to match the tuning adapters up to the TIVOs along with the cable cards (Cisco)which I don't recall them ever asking for previously--I thought tuning adapters were just dumb machines. TIA for any help before I make my phone call- Starz Lineup 100820.PNG StarzEncore lineup 100820.PNG

2. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    It is some sort of switched digital video issue (SDV). By tuning the Spectrum channel to Starz it is able to communicate to the node to make that channel available and then voila, the TiVo can tune it. The Tuning adapters communicate with a band different that the Spectrum box to the node. So the problem is probably the node not able to receive or use the communication from the tuning adapter. If you get a tech knowledgeable in how this works, he may be able to get it fixed. I had a very similar problem and got their maintenance people to fix things at the node.

I was unable to completely read your post. Was there some other problem? Please be more concise.

3. rover1

Nov 14, 2001
    Honolulu,...
    Aloha-- Thanks for your reply. You actually got the gist of that long post. Just to clarify one thing--it's only the Starz/Starz Encore--and FLIX (which I don't really care about since it's all letterboxed)..... all other SDV that I know of come in fine. Does that matter--would the tuning adapter be able to communicate with the node for all the other channels and just not Starz? I think maybe I will go through all the channels I am supposed to get and see if there may be others that I don't normally watch. One other thing--what difference does it make whether I use my actual zip code (which worked fine at my previous address 3 blocks down the street--same zip) or use the one from the Big Island. The channel lineups are the same.

4. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Zip codes are only for TiVo to give you the proper cable lineup for the guide. It has nothing to do with the problem receiving the channel (unless for some reason you are choosing the wrong channel number for Starz).
    I have something very similar going on with one of my TiVo’s. It won’t tune any of the Starz or any hbo or showtime SDV channels. But it will tune SDV non-premium channels. (My other TiVo works pretty much perfectly). Spectrum hasn’t figured out the problem yet, but it is almost certainly still a problem with the equipment at the node.

I kept telling the techs it was their equipment problem and finally they took my TiVo and tuning adapter to their head end facility where they worked perfectly thus proving my equipment was fine and there was a problem at the node .

5. rover1

Nov 14, 2001
    Honolulu,...

Advertisements

Thanks-- now I have some "ammunition" to work with.... I keep telling them that I find it odd that the same thing happens on all 3 of my Tivo/s..... Here's hoping they will believe me.

6. rover1

Nov 14, 2001
    Honolulu,...
    Update-- Tech truck roll last Friday. All signals were ok but when he went to check the box in the hallway he mentioned that he saw an issue with low frequency signals--that it would not affect me--but that since he found that issue he would need to fix it. He went to ground floor to work upwards (I'm on 19) to see where the problem was. Sadly the room he needed to get into was locked and the resident manager was not here. He said he was going to check my issue with his supervisor early this week and they would probably have to set up another visit--possibly with the supervisor tagging along. So still not receiving a bunch of SDV channels on any of the 3 Tivos (without changing the channel on the Spectrum box first). Did I read somewhere that the Cisco tuning adapter specifically uses the lower frequencies to contact the head end? If so, the perhaps when they clear that up everything will work ok? Stay tuned--

krkaufman and UCLABB like this.