Bolt with Wifi adapter?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by CAG45, Jun 30, 2019.

1. CAG45

CAG45 Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Has anyone used a WiFi adapter with a Bolt to boost their WiFi signal?
    (Yes, I know that a hardwired connection is better - but plugging an adapter to one of the USB ports is a lot simpler.)

This article:
    https://support.tivo.com/articles/FAQ/Roamio-Built-In-Wireless-FAQ
    says that the Tivo G adapter will not work, the N adapter will work - but neither have actually been tested by Tivo.
    One can still find the Tivo N adapter on Amazon (used), reasonably priced.
    But before buying one, I'm curious if it will help.

My Bolt is less than 2 feet away from my Series 3 G adapter (external USB).
    - My series 3 gets signal between 65-75%
    - My Bolt get a wide-varying signal between 30-65%
    Why is the Bolt built-in adapter so wimpy?

thanks

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The existence of this thread seems evidence to the contrary.

kpeters59 and JoeKustra like this.
  3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    The wireless G USB adapter is specific to TiVo and not very good. But it is simple.

The wireless N is a generic CAT-5 to wireless adapter. It is not very good and harder to configure. I would not suggest it is better that the built-in wireless except it can be moved easier.

How weak/old is your router? It's better to buy a new router (like with antenna), but that is complicated. The internal wireless of a Roamio and Bolt is not very good. The wireless N may solve your problems. If not, there are other wireless bridges. BTW, besides the signal strength, what's the problem?

4. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I've attached an Edimax WiFi bridge (just the version I had around, my having picked a couple up when they were on sale, knowing little about the make/model) to my Roamio box's Ethernet port and set that box for Ethernet use, and the WiFi reception with that box has improved dramatically. I assume that this is the sort of thing you would like to do and could try easily enough. Others here have reported similar improvement.

Much simpler and less expensive for me, right now, than going MoCA (although I might go that route one day, despite the complications so often revealed here, which can intimidate).

5. fyodor

fyodor Active Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Keep in mind that "signal strength" isn't necessarily the right metric.

I would first get a newer router if your router is older. You can get a tp link c50 used for $30.

I would then buy a bridge for the Bolt. You can even buy another C50 and use it to bridge for the first if you want.

How to Configure WDS Bridging on TP-Link Dual Band Routers (green UI)? | TP-Link

I am not clear if your series 3 is actually three feet away from the Bolt or just three feet farther, but if they are actually next to each other, you should probably connect them directly by Ethernet to a common bridge so that they don't need to communicate over wireless.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  6. Darrell Patton

Darrell Patton Member

Jul 19, 2018
    Doesn't the Bolt have WiFi already built in?

7. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Yes--but some of us have experienced (me, dramatically so, with WiFi speeds increasing up to five-fold--I thought I had a new-generation device) that it is not as robust as a "standard" WiFi bridge connected to the TiVo box via an Ethernet cable and with the TiVo box set for a wired connection.