Bolt with Spectrum

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by Mjm3143, Oct 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Mjm3143

Mjm3143 New Member

Oct 19, 2018

Advertisements

Hi, I'm new to this (dumb questions warning).

Gotta quit AT&T/direct mostly cuz of internet.

Spec doesn't have whole house dvr. Deal killer.

Can I get bolt/minis and be equal? I'm guessing there are pros/cons and would appreciate help understanding.

I've read a few threads and don't yet understand all the terminology and acronyms.

I've read something about tuning adapters, for example but don't know how to tell if they will affect me.

Thanks!

2. austinsho

austinsho A repeated victim of Time Warner DBA Spectrum

Oct 21, 2001
    Austin Texas
    Yes, when Spectrum took over Time Warner they dropped the whole home system and insisted in installing their inferior 210 box. I too am looking to get Tivo, but just a single receiver. I'd like to know if there have been any issues using the cablecard from Spectrum (Charter) with Tivo.

3. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I've had Charter, now called Spectrum, for decades and haven't had CC problems. You also need a TA, at least for many (probably mostly Premium Cable) channels.

4. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I too have had Charter/Spectrum for decades, cable card only for about the last 10 years. Yes, you'll probably need a free tuning adapter. Not a big deal. Just plug it in. However, it can be a bumpy ride for some. In that time I've done at least a dozen cable card activations. Depending on who is on the other end of the phone, it could take 5 minutes or several weeks to get a Tivo working. But no matter how much they try to sabotage you, cable card is still the law of the land, and they will eventually get it working as long as you are persistent.

Pros and cons: You'll be saving a lot of money in the long run and getting a box that can skip commercials, run streaming apps and can be viewed/managed remotely. The only con I can think of is that you can't get "on demand" content on your Tivo. But you can easily get it with the Spectrum app or the individual networks' apps. So that's not a big deal either.

Having said that, while I still use Tivo for OTA, I see no reason to keep cable TV at all when I can get the same content for about one third the cost with a service like DirecTV NOW.

In any case, good luck.

5. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015

Advertisements

The truth is that getting a cablecard up and running with any ISP is or can be problematic, but some folks are lucky. Spectrum complicates things because they use SDV, switched digital video in many areas, see here, What is Switched Digital Video?
    You don't mention how many TV's you are needing to setup, nor what your recording patterns you will have, heavy, medium, or light and if you like to keep a ton of programing on the DVR or you quickly watch and delete.
    The more TV's you will be using, the more tuners you are likely to need. The base Bolt has 4 tuners, one is reserved for the Bolt itself, so 3 are left for live TV, minus any active recordings, but if your minis are watching a recording or using a streaming service, no tuner is used. There is a 6 tuner cable only Bolt that also has a 3TB drive vs the base Bolt's 500GB. If you are computer smart, the hard drives can be upgraded on the base Bolt to 3TB without too much difficulty and with advanced skills even drives up to 8TB's can be used via mods and external drives.
    The Bolt series is somewhat faster particularly with the streaming services, but many folks use alternate boxes for streaming, i.e., Roku, Firetv, etc. because they are more user friendly and less glitchy.
    If you are interested in a "value" purchase, consider the older Roamio series units with All/in lifetime service, particularily the Roamio Pro/Plus units which will give you 6 cable only tuners and have Pro/3TB and Plus/1TB hard drives but all of these can be upgraded up to 8TB's with standard 3.5" hard drives without too much difficulty, The Bolt series uses the smaller 2.5" laptop type of hard drives which are a bit harder to come by.
    Most folks here would consider Tivos superior to all cable company boxes.

Mjm3143 likes this.
  6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    One caveat Re: TiVo’s whole home solution is that TiVo officially* requires wired Ethernet or MoCA (coax network) connections for each device, unlike some proprietary setups that support wireless client boxes.

* Many customers have had success using Powerline or wireless where wired Ethernet or MoCA wasn’t possible; YMMV.

7. ManeJon

ManeJon Active Member

Apr 14, 2018
    I did the switch from DTV to TIVO/Spectrum a few months ago. It is all working well for me. The Spectrum installer did all the work - installed the cable card etc. I made the switch because I moved to an apartment where sat isn't allowed and I don't have view of southern sky anyway.
    How Spectrum gets away with 2 tuner dvr and no whole home I don't understand but I'll bet Tivo loves it. I'd rather do 1 vendor but ..
    I think DTV was a better in total experience but this works so...

8. austinsho

Oct 21, 2001
    Austin Texas
    Folks...this has been genuinely helpful and I truly appreciate the quick responses.

I had a Series 2 DirecTV supplied Tivo for years, then went with their own equipment. Recently, as you may have heard, their own equipment (the Genie) was damaged by a misguided software redesign. That, when combined with a number of other technical issues, has forced us to Spectrum cable, as they are the only other viable provider for us at the moment.

However, we found that Spectrum's own DVR (the five tuner 210) is nowhere near ready for prime time and they have supplied me with a four tuner Arris box which is....barely adequate. I'd really love something with a nice, fast guide and RF remotes.

9. sxmfan2018

sxmfan2018 Member

Aug 31, 2018
    los angeles
    the 210 is a 4 tuner. though there's rumours flying around that it has 8 tuners but 4 are locked down

10. austinsho

Oct 21, 2001
    Austin Texas
    The 210 an 8 tuner? Hah!

If it is, they're locked down because Spectrum can't make the four work properly, much less eight!

Frankly, failed DVR "upgrades" are the reason I'm back here. The DirecTV Genie was ruined by AT&T during an upgrade attempt, then Spectrun dropped the Arris box in favor of the 210, which was knee deep in bugs. I just found a TiVo Roamio Plus for good money on CL and figure that if I can get it up and running on a Spectrum cable card and tuning adapter, I'll (hopefully) put those troubles behind me.

fcfc2 likes this.
  11. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    I also just dumped Dish for cable (Spectrum.) In my area, its a 2 channel DVR or nothing. I've been an on and off Tivo user for years. I change TV options with the price. Just that a 2 channel dvr is a no go. I do believe the Dish Hopper FF (30-second skip) is much faster than Tivo. The Tivo SKIP feature is great but works on a very limited amount of channels. Overall, I'm happy with my BOLT and Minis'.

12. austinsho

Oct 21, 2001
    Austin Texas
    One thing I'm still not sure of....if I have a TiVo that records four programs at one, I assume I only need ONE multi-stream Cablecard, right? Or am I missing something here?

13. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Correct. And good thing, since there’s only one CableCARD slot in any modern TiVo DVR.

14. austinsho

Oct 21, 2001
    Austin Texas
    Thanks...just didn't want to do something stupid. :)

15. sxmfan2018

sxmfan2018 Member

Aug 31, 2018
    los angeles
    can spectrum make anything work right??? that's the 20 million dollar question. i signed up in last june that gave me a dual tuner unit wich sucks and so 1970's. i had a problem with the box in the bedroom kept rebooting. so they sent a tech to replace the box and upgrade the DVR but they could not promise anything. the tech said that he didn't have any on his van with more that two tuners. so i told the tech this has got to get fixed or i am canceling my service right now and you can take all of there **** out of my house:eek:. well hell i never seen anyone move so fast in my life he went down to his van and found an arris 6 tuner box and gave it to me:D. and even that had it's issues with motion blur and pixeiation. the world box is a nightmare don't even bother with it

16. austinsho

Oct 21, 2001
    Austin Texas
    Before "Spectrum" were you originally Time Warner or Charter? Those old dual tuner units TWC had couldn't hold a candle to even a Series 1 TiVo. As for motion blur and pixelation, I'm betting that's a source issue, that they're stuffing too many ones and zeroes into too little bandwidth,.

17. sxmfan2018

sxmfan2018 Member

Aug 31, 2018
    los angeles
    has anyone experienced motion blu and pixelation with the bolt.

18. sxmfan2018

sxmfan2018 Member

Aug 31, 2018
    los angeles
    i was a TWC customer. i called em last night and they said my signal was at 65%

19. sxmfan2018

sxmfan2018 Member

Aug 31, 2018
    los angeles
    i will be dumping dish soon there customer service is crap

20. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    Charter/Spectrum internet has worked ok for me for years. The cable TV was so-so and the DVR was a left over from the 90's and still is today. I cannot see how anyone would use a Spectrum DVR. I do have a cable HD box, but got a Mini today and that box will be going back to the cable company.
    With a Dish DVR and 2 remote units, it was costing me $30.00 a month in hardware PLUS 9.00 for maintenance on them. $2.00 a month for my cable card. My equipment will pay for itself in short time.