Bolt with Spectrum

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by Player1138, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Player1138

Player1138 Member

Oct 1, 2015

Advertisements

I currently have a TWC plan which requires a cable card and tuning adapter to work.

Now that spectrum has purchased TWC they are offering both TWC and Spectrum plans. The Spectrum plans are bpibviously better as they try to get people on them.

So my question is does anyone know if with Spectrum I still need a tuning adapter?

2. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    I do not know but I know this. If I were to switch from TWC to Spectrum my monthly internet bill would go from the current $15 to $60 a year later. So not worth it.

3. Player1138

Player1138 Member

Oct 1, 2015
    If I keep TWC my bill (cable + internet) was going to be $164/month. Spectrum $135 which includes much faster internet and HBO. Of course next year at this time this same plan will try to jump up to $175 I am sure.

4. ravic

ravic New Member

Jul 4, 2017
    Yes, I did switch from TWC plan to Spectrum and have a TiVo bolt. You do need the tuning adapter and cable card. It works well. I did have to restart the tuning adapter once in the last 6 months.

5. T-Shee

T-Shee Member

Sep 22, 2006

Advertisements

Spectrum in NYC has quite a few Switched Digital Video stations that you won't be able to see without a tuning adapter - but it's not required. I've been running a Bolt+ on Spectrum/TWC for about a month without the tuning adapter. The change from TWC to Spectrum did not eliminate the Tuning Adapter "requirement".

6. Player1138

Player1138 Member

Oct 1, 2015
    So what are you missing by not having the TA? Assuming some of the channels you get just do not come through in HD without it?

7. Morpheus101

Morpheus101 Member

Jan 14, 2006
    Be careful and READ the fine print. I have 20MB down and Broadcast only. My bill went up after 12 months by $5. If you cancel or change anything you will be moved to Spectrum.

I get at least one offer from Spectrum a week saying it's their best offer ever, but reading the offer it is the same old offer that anyone can get online.

8. Player1138

Player1138 Member

Oct 1, 2015
    That sounds like the plan I have. I have 25mbps as basic cable (no HBO..etc) and my bill went up $30. If I go to Specturm it is only $5 more with HBO and internet of 100mbps

9. MacGuruTX

MacGuruTX Member

Sep 19, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    It's still the same cable plant/infrastructure. So there isn't a change in the switched digital TV channels. The deal with the plans, is really the finance/revenue model of how they sell/bundle the cable. Here in San Diego, they will leave you on your Time Warner plan until you try to change something, in which time they are encouraging movement to the new plans. They may be cheaper, they may be more expensive.....

10. reds91185

reds91185 New Member

Jun 7, 2017
    Yes you will need the tuner adapter if you have any SDV channels...most areas do now to free up bandwidth for internet.

11. drumdude

drumdude New Member

Dec 25, 2007
    Does anyone in Charlotte NC have a TiVo Bolt working with Spectrum? Years ago I tried using the old TiVos with Time Warner and it was a disaster. TWC rep brought a box of 100 old cable cards to my house and could not find 3 good ones. Seemed like they did not want to support the device. I ended up selling all 3 TiVos on eBay and going back to DirecTV. I still miss my TiVo and wonder if it would work now?

12. Buckeye3d

Buckeye3d New Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    I just went through switching to Spectrum and TiVo in an old Time Warner Cable area (Columbus, OH). Just do a self install. Place your order through chat or the phone. Pick up the tuning adapter and cable card at the Spectrum retail store and then call the cable card support # to get it activated. They know what they are doing. The installers who will come to your house will not. All it took for me was a 5 minute phone call.

13. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I have Spectrum (fka Charter) and the TA is necessary, at least I know to see some of the channels for which I pay.

As to self-install, my experience with them has been that the first time they won't let you pick up the TA/CC and install them yourself. They force you to have a service call. Mine went fine except that one of the CCs was not good and he had to bring another one back the next day (I suggested bringing extras and he was cool with that).

But, after I had the CableCARDs and the Tuning Adapters, I could transfer them to my newer machines and just do the call-in for pairing.

YMMV, but that's the way it works here with them.

14. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Active Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hmm, I was always able to pickup my CC/TA and do the installs myself. Instead of swapping cards/TA, I just stopped by my local office yesterday and picked up another CC/TA for my new Bolt that is coming in a few days.

I didn't want to mess around with trying to unpair then re-pair the card to a new box, remembering how painful it was to get the original one paired, in the first place. So this way, if I have issues with getting the new box paired, I'll still have the old box to fall back on, until any issues get resolved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. donsullivan

donsullivan Member

May 31, 2000
    Orlando, FL
    Interestingly, I'm with Spectrum (former Brighthouse) and when I switched from a Roamio Pro to my recent Bolt VOX, I didn't ever have to do anything with pairing of the CableCard. I just took it out of the Roamio and slipped it into the Bolt and it just worked. In fact, I moved from the Roamio, to a 4 tuner Bolt that got returned and later to a 6 tuner Bolt that I'm using now. I never had to do any sort of pairing, or contact Spectrum or anything else and have had absolute no know issues. I just left the Tuning Adapter in place just as it was on the Roamio and everything works fine.

16. Terrie

Terrie New Member

Dec 3, 2017
    Tampa Bay FL
    Does anyone know what brand cablecard Spectrum uses?

17. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Active Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Connecticut
    It depends on your area. In my area, they use Cisco, but I've also seen Motorola in other areas.

18. Terrie

Terrie New Member

Dec 3, 2017
    Tampa Bay FL
    I didn't realize it was area specific, I'm in Tampa Bay.

19. reds91185

reds91185 New Member

Jun 7, 2017
    The brand of cablecard provided depends on the headend hardware used in the area (generally Motorola/Arris or Cisco/SA).

20. mtnbkr

mtnbkr Member

Sep 3, 2016
    Yes, I have a Bolt on Spectrum. Cable card and TA work just fine.