Bolt welcome letter - Starter Guide email -Cable Card info

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by bobdec01, Dec 17, 2019.

1. bobdec01

bobdec01 Member

Jan 20, 2011
    I have been with Tivo for many years (Series 2/3/Roamio) and just purchased a Bolt VOX. I received this email today and sort of got taken off guard.

"To get set up as quickly as possible, we recommend calling your cable provider to order a CableCARD™ now. Ask for five CableCARDs in case one doesn't connect to the BOLT on the first try. They can be finicky."

Is this for real ?? Is there a BOLT/Cable card problem ? PS: I am on Xfinity for cable.

2. keithg1964

keithg1964 Ragonk

Feb 2, 2006
    Texas
    Crazy

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Next there will be an email that says "use your cable company's DVR since TiVo is really hard to setup with a cable card". Amazing.

4. celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    I think tivo is just worried that you''ll have trouble setting up the bolt with a new cable card they always suggest ordering more than 1 cable card in case you get a bad card. I replaced my old tivo premiere with the bolt vox and simply removed the cable card from my premiere and inserted it into the bolt vox and it worked just great!

Willy92 likes this.
  5. bobdec01

bobdec01 Member

Jan 20, 2011
    UPDATE.. The email has a few links that I usually never click on w/o checking to see where they take me..The links look fishy, they redirect to a non Tivo.com IP Also site certificates for the re-direct sites don't look on the up and up. I going to assume it's a phishing site, but it looks darn good... going to ignore it unless my cable card coming in tomorrow gives problems....
    celtic, Good Idea I have a card in my Roamio I can use...

6. Willy92

Willy92 Member

Oct 12, 2018
    Los Angeles
    So did I!

7. Pokemon_Dad

Pokemon_Dad Ruler of Unown UI

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Reading your first post, the recommendation of five CableCARDs jumped out at me. But the rest is surprisingly well-written, the scamsters are surprisingly knowledgeable about TiVo even if they don't understand your cable provider could charge $10 per card, and they likely stole your address from TiVo or a TiVo-related vendor. Where did you purchase your new Bolt? This is creepy. I report messages like that to SpamCop.net but it takes a bit of setting up, so for most people not worth the trouble.

8. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    One thing that I have read here is that some cablecos will recycle a cablecard that hasn't worked in installation, rather than retire it. Hence leading to future, lower success rates with cards.

9. bobdec01

bobdec01 Member

Jan 20, 2011
    May as well close this up. blocked the domain sending the notes, received my Xfinity cable card, took about 10 mins to pair it using the internet site. Up and running.

Pokemon_Dad likes this.