Bolt Vox stopped working after Comcast tech came out V52 error

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by S Schultz, Jul 8, 2018.

1. S Schultz

S Schultz New Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Tacoma
    So I have a Tivo Bolt Vox, a Tivo Premier, and a Xfinity X1 box. The X1 box stopped working, so I went to Comcast and exchanged it after troubleshooting over the phone. The new box didn't work either. Comcast came out and determined that my signal strength was too low. They installed a signal booster and well as a POE filter. All devices were working, but before the technician left, my Tivo Bolt stopped working. They technician spent the next two hours trying to fix it, but had no luck.

I have had multiple conversations with both Tivo and Comcast trying to figure out the solution. Whenever I talk to Tivo, they always ask me what the value is for "AUTH". Auth does not even show up on the cablecard screen. I have verified that the cablecard is authorized. All of my devices work on the outlet that the Bolt is connected to, including the Tivo Roamio. The Bolt will not work on any other outlets in the house either. I have tried 3 cable cards, tried pairing the cable card after bypassing the signal booster, nothing seems to work. I've looked online and it seems like there are others with similar problems, just not sure what the solution is. I'm supposed to have another Comcast technician come out today, but not sure what they can do since I'm told that I have the correct signal strength. Also spoke with Tivo yesterday. They are sending out a replacement Tivo to try that. I wasn't real happy that they are charging me $49, but at this point I'm willing to try. Been a Tivo customer for almost 20 years and have never had a problem. I really doubt that the replacement will fix the problem, but going to try it.

Anyone else have this problem? any ideas? I like challenges, but this is starting to really tick me off!!!

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It would help if you would post the Signal % and SNR for a channel. After a restart all tuners will be on the same channel so their numbers should be the same. Auth: S is what displays on my Conditional Access menu, but I have a Motorola M-Card. All I care about is that Val: Y 0x0n where n is number of times the card has been paired.

Also, the Network Setup menu has OOB Messages which should be moving up with each refresh. The VCT ID should be non-zero.

Sorry if you already know this stuff. I would be quite mad also.

3. S Schultz

S Schultz New Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Tacoma
    The signal strength for all 4 tuners is showing 0 (-). Is it just a coincidence that the tuner went out on the Tivo as the Comcast guys were here at the house. Maybe the extra signal strength blew something up in the Tivo??
    The SNR toggles between 9dB and 22dB. The modulation toggles between QAM64 and QAM256.
    Under Conditional Access, Val shows "? 0x0E". Auth does not even show as an option.

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    There is a high probability that the tuners are dead. R.I.P. sorry.

If you are bored. Remove the cable card. Run guided setup - choose add cable card later. Do a cable scan. If the tuners are alive, they will find your encrypted channels which do have a signal even though you can't watch them. Or don't. I think the new box will fix the problem.

Note: if the Bolt detects a cable card there will not be an option to do a channel scan.

5. S Schultz

S Schultz New Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Tacoma
    Thanks for the reply. Fingers are crossed that it works next week when it arrives!

JoeKustra likes this.