Bolt Vox noise "silenced," and the temperature has dropped

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by sangs, Oct 25, 2018.

1. sangs

sangs Active Member

Jan 1, 2003
    New Jersey

Advertisements

Thanks very much to those around here that offered suggestions about quieting the Bolt Vox fan/buzz, lowering the temperature, etc.

I dropped my Bolt's ODT from 71 to 55-57 by removing the cable card cover, putting some Velcro on four three-inch high furniture risers, attaching them under the Bolt, folding a thin blanket atop my wood bench and placing the Bolt on it. No echo from the fan/buzz comes off the wood anymore - can't even hear it where I sit now - and the Bolt temp is out of what I perceived to be a danger zone. Would have never thought to try it without some of the home brews in these forums. :)

kpeters59, Mikeguy, fcfc2 and 2 others like this.
  2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Pic(s) would be welcome.

aaronwt likes this.
  3. sangs

sangs Active Member

Jan 1, 2003
    New Jersey
    Will do.

krkaufman likes this.
  4. sangs

sangs Active Member

Jan 1, 2003
    New Jersey
    Pics aren’t great, since it’s dark behind the TV, but you get the drift.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mikeguy and krkaufman like this.
  5. elorimer

elorimer Member

Jan 1, 2012

Advertisements

Not sure that removing the cable card cover is a good idea. Some part of the wacky cooling design is for the fan to pull cool air across the tuner as well as the cable card (both impressive heat sources), across the chip and down out the bottom. When you take the cover off, you change the amount of air directed over the tuner (the one set of slots) vis a vis the cable card (the two sets of slots). Also, you lower the speed of the air flow. The cable card I view as something that can be replaced if heat gets to it; not so much the tuner.

I agree with raising it, improving the room created by the bend in the case. I found that raising only the back end, so it tilts forward, was also an improvement, as warm air is moving to the back of the case off the board.

Donning flame resistant clothing now.

6. sangs

sangs Active Member

Jan 1, 2003
    New Jersey
    No need for flame resistance. :) I did it because others seem to have done it, successfully. In fact, the removal of the cable card cover is what originally dropped the temp a few degrees, even before I'd elevated it. But you bring up a good point and, of course, now you're gonna make me paranoid.

7. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    It's kind of a shame for as much as the Bolt costs, that modifications like this are needed to make it operate the way it's supposed to.

8. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Just a different data point: my Bolt seems to work fine, and no more noisily than a Series 2 or Roamio box, without any modifications (although I have had all of my boxes on small water bottle cap "feet").