Bolt Vox 500GB-Replaced HDD after failure, now crashing

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by like2watch, Apr 23, 2021.

1. like2watch

like2watch New Member

Dec 22, 2011

Advertisements

I have two of them. A factory new on purchased in 2018 and a refurb acquired in 2019. The 2018 is in the main viewing area and a few days ago I got up, heard a ticking for a bit then saw the four flashing LEDs. I ordered a replacement HDD and moved the 2019 to the main viewing area. The next morning it appeared to be dead, not starting after a power cycle. I waited for quite a while and tried again and it came back up. The replacement drive arrived the next day. There was a Comcast/Xfinity screwup with authorization for a premium channel which cost another day. I then swapped the boxes to their original locations.

It started to crash when not being watched. Since getting it in 2018 it had crashed maybe twice a year, now it was twice a day. I first thought it might be overheating and took some measures. I looked at ODT while several shows were recording and it was in the 44-46 range. I also thought that it might be the power adapter but I swapped them and the 2018 continued to crash.

I was out this morning. When I got back and was about to start watching I saw no green light. It did not feel overly warm. When I power cycled and it came back up, it resumed recording a show. Looking at the Shows, there were two recordings. The first had started on time and the second showed about a 5-minute gap, so it hadn't died very long before I noticed.

Is there any way to find a crash report? I'm not experienced at electronics but am comfortable with software.

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    There's been reports of the external power supply's going bad.

Maybe try swapping them or replacing them with a high quality alternative.

-KP

3. like2watch

like2watch New Member

Dec 22, 2011
    I had swapped the power adapters but it still crashed.

But then I had another thought. The failing unit was plugged into a mechanical timer because it had failed a few times when we were on an extended trip. I also have a timer device for my router and cable modem for the same reason. These things are computers after all. I took out the timer and it has not failed for the last two days!

UCLABB and kpeters59 like this.