1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bolt up, down on network

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by jacktechie, Aug 12, 2018.

1. jacktechie

jacktechie New Member

Feb 6, 2013
    I have 2 Bolts on wifi with hidden SSID. One is on Hydra 21.8.2.RC1 and the other non-Hydra 20.7.4. The Hydra keeps dropping from Devices and can't be seen or orange exclamation point from the other tivo. The non-Hydra does not have this problem. However kmttg, Tivo Desktop, iPad and Android apps will always connect and stream from either Bolt all the time.

It doesn't matter whether the IP address is DHCP or fixed. If I save the same static IP address, it generally will come up and then within 15 minutes drop. I can repeat this, but I need to turn on the TV to do so. I tried the connection to the Comcast x1 router and TP-Link re350k range extender - both come up and drop. It occurred also on 21.8.1, but don't remember if it did so on 21.7.2. Any ideas?

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I guess there's no problem if you publish the SSID? I have found that with TiVo's current networking, any device that goes dark (dead/power off) will drop off My Shows (TE3) in under one minute. Sometimes it's gone, sometimes it's just grayed out. I have both TE3 and TE4 TiVo units on my network. The TE4 unit does not display a missing device.

3. jacktechie

jacktechie New Member

Feb 6, 2013
    Still a problem with broadcasting SSID. Tivos never power down.

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Why Wi-Fi instead of MoCA?

5. jacktechie

jacktechie New Member

Feb 6, 2013
    Only because it doesn't require learning any new skills.:confused: An hour not well spent! I just enabled the Comcast x1 router as the Preferred Network Controller for MoCA and the 2 Bolts as clients with No Encryption. The Channel is not changeable at D1 (1150 MHz). I set the channel on the Bolts to Auto (Auto, 15, 17, 19, 21, 23, 25, 27, 29). Now both Tivo Service Connection succeeds, but Internet Connection fails - TCP Port Test=, DNS Test=Failed. The iPad and Android apps work, but will not stream shows. My Tivo HD is missing, and the other Bolt is grayed out from the non-Hydra.

6. jacktechie

jacktechie New Member

Feb 6, 2013
    After restarts to the 2 Bolts and a Reset Application for the iPad app only, it is working. The Android app did not need anything. The initial hesitation on going MoCA was on security. I don't know if the Comcast store carries a POE filter, but I will revert back to wifi until I get one.