Bolt U-verse Compatibility

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by JTHOJNICKI, Jan 19, 2016.

1. JTHOJNICKI

JTHOJNICKI Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Chicago Suburbs

Advertisements

Is the Bolt (or even the Roamio for that matter) cable-card compatible with U-verse?

2. rolfl

rolfl New Member

Dec 27, 2015
    No, U-verse is IP streaming

3. JTHOJNICKI

JTHOJNICKI Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Chicago Suburbs
    U-Verse is not for me, but an option for my mother-in-law. My wife was just asking as her mom complained about Dish's latest price increase.

4. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    To keep costs down with satellite, you have to switch between Dish and DirecTV every 2 years. U-verse might also be affordable for new customers at least. If she can live with OTA plus a few streaming services, a $300 Roamio with lifetime would be perfect.

5. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio

Advertisements

I hadn't really thought about it before, but does that mean that theoretically AT&T and TiVo could develop a U-verse app that would allow it to be streamed like Netflix, with an appropriate subscription of course?

6. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I think they already do. You used to be able to run an app on the Xbox 360 to make it a client. And today you can stream on demand to an Xbox One.

7. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Why would they want to do that with TiVo? A TiVo's primary function is as a DVR. If they can't access the channels outside of the app then it's not much use to have it on a TiVo. The same applies when people ask about it supporting SlingTV.

If all you want to do is watch live TV through an app get a Roku or Fire TV stick, they're way cheaper.

8. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    Sure, that could be done. And I'd guess that the TiVo's OS software could even be engineered to provide full compatibility with Uverse TV so that it works and looks just like regular cable TV on a TiVo. I don't think it's so much a question of technology as it is business considerations, cost, and (lack of) FCC requirements on Uverse to provide for third-party clients.