Bolt Tuner Issues

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by COseminative, Feb 8, 2020.

Tags:
  1. COseminative

COseminative New Member

Feb 8, 2020
    We've been running a Bolt for a couple of years as a cord cutter with an outdoor antenna, and it worked flawlessly until about 5 months ago. Suddenly we could not get a signal on Ch 7. Then a few weeks later we started getting significant noise on other channels in the higher VHF range, and eventually they became virtually unwatchable. We put a 10db amp on the antenna and it improved things slightly, but still had noise. We then tried connecting the Bolt cable directly to the TV set and it worked perfectly on all channels and we discovered several new channels. We had the same result with a second 2012 era TVV. We also ran the diagnostics on the tuners, and #2 does have a somewhat higher S/N ratio, but we can still watch the same channels on it as on the others. Has anyone else had this kind of problem?

2. LarryAtHome

LarryAtHome Active Member

Feb 18, 2008
    I had lost my ch10 when I moved my BOLT to another location. A Channel Master LTE filter fixed it for me, as it turned out to be an issue with LTE interference. There are 2 versions with the same model number as the filter cut off point was changed for the recent channel selloff. Like you, when the antenna was connected directly to the TV, the channels were fine. It was just the BOLT that was sensitive to the LTE interference.

3. COseminative

COseminative New Member

Feb 8, 2020
    Thanks for your suggestion. Since we had some new cell tower installs last fall getting ready for 5G, your suggestion seemed to be a good one. Unfortunately, the filter didn't improve things noticeably, and we still had several missing channels in the upper VHF spectrum. It now appears that perhaps tuner 2 (actually #1 in the diagnostics) is the issue. More testing by moving things around and recording at the same time may yield more insight on the problem.

Update 2-15-2020 - turns out all the tuners behave essentially the same - it seems that all of the upper VHF band from chs 7 13 are either marginal or unwatchable. Yet with the same signal, the Panasonic TV shows signal levels between 92% and 100% and there is no noise displayed.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020 at 5:49 PM