Bolt to Bolt Transfer & HDMI Handshake

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by lujan, Oct 19, 2019.

1. lujan

lujan Member

May 24, 2010
    Is there a secret to doing a transfer from one Bolt to another? It seems every time I try using TiVo Online it appears like it's going to transfer but nothing happens.

Also, in a unrelated issue, what is the best setting for video on the Bolt? It seems there are a lot of HDMI handshake issues when using the default of "Auto" because my LG TV often indicates "No Signal" when starting trying to watch content on the TiVo. It happens often in a second room on the Bolt as well. The TV in the second room is a Vizio but both rooms have the same brand AVR (Denon) so maybe it's the Denon?

2. dig_duggler

dig_duggler Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I'm about to throw my hands up and give up on Tivo over this. I got my Dad a Bolt, and a brand new 65" TCL. The Tivo is constantly having "No Signal" or HDMI Handshake issues (where the screen goes grey or shows a color pattern). After whatever last update they did we can't get a signal (and it works fine on another TV). The Apple TV has no issues, ever, and if you look at this forum there are constant issues with the Tivo. How can they not figure out how to do a handshake properly??

I think I'm finally just going to put him on a Cable Company DVR and be done with it.

3. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Have you set your TiVo output resolution to 1080i or P or even 720P and seen what happens?

-KP

4. lujan

lujan Member

May 24, 2010
    No, I haven't tried. Will that affect 4k HDR content on the apps such as Vudu/Netflix or will it still output the correct resolution of the movie or show?

5. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    It's a test.

Find out what works and go from there.

-KP

6. lujan

lujan Member

May 24, 2010
    I ended up selecting all of them from 720p up because then it will provide the output resolution correctly instead of up-scaling everything to 4k.

7. dig_duggler

dig_duggler Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    How do you set the resolution when you get no signal?

8. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I hope that works for you.

-KP

lujan likes this.
  9. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    There's a button on the back?

Or, temporarily use a different TV?

-KP

10. lujan

lujan Member

May 24, 2010
    I have been continuing to get the "No Signal" on my TV when using the Bolt even after changing the display resolution to include all of the resolutions. I called TiVo and they were unable to help after trying several troubleshooting steps. I changed the HDMI cable and it worked for a day and also TiVo had me try a different TV and with that I was able to change it back to 4k/60 Auto. I'm left with a few possible solutions that may help? Which one might work the best?

1. It seems to be an issue with the HDMI handshake and might also be a problem because the TiVo stays ON all the time. Would changing the Power Savings from OFF to LOW, MEDIUM or HIGH make a difference? If I turned Power Savings to ON, would I be able to access this box from another TiVo? I'm thinking that going into Standby may solve the HDMI handshake problem but also then prevent me from accessing from a different TiVo?

2. I also tried connecting the TiVo directly to TV instead of the Denon AVR. When doing this there is a problem since the TiVo stays ON, that the audio continues playing when trying to watch the built-in internal apps of the TV because I'm using the AVR "TV Audio" input on the AVR.

3. If I continue to use the TV video connection, can I use Optical audio instead on the TiVo to AVR?

4. Lastly, keep using the TiVo to AVR HDMI cable but use an HDMI splitter between the TiVo and AVR, which may be better with negotiating the HDMI handshake issue?

As you can tell, I'm at a loss as to which possible solution is best?

11. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Si non confectus, non reficiat TCF Club

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    HDCP handshaking can run into trouble with AVRs, it's a bit buggy.

Connect your AV devices to the TV and use the TV's optical output to connect to the AVR (from which I assume there is a soundbar or surround sound system connected). That should resolve points 1 and 2.

12. lujan

lujan Member

May 24, 2010
    Will do, I had thought of doing TiVo to AVR via optical but not TV to AVR via optical. I will try your suggestion first. Will the TV automatically use the optical connection for the TiVo and HDMI for audio on all the other devices? Do I need to change any setting on the TiVo after making these connections?

13. lhvetinari

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    The TV will route all audio out to the AVR via optical - basically, instead of the AVR being the switching device, the TV will be the switching device. Audio will go from Device =HDMI=> TV =Optical=> AVR.

You shouldn't need to adjust any tivo settings.

14. lujan

lujan Member

May 24, 2010
    Yes, but I have other devices (Chromecast, Fire TV, Xbox) attached to various HDMI inputs on the TV and I want only the TiVo to use optical. All other devices should use HDMI for audio so it appears this solution may not work in my case? I may have to go back to using optical from TiVo to AVR then?

15. lhvetinari

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    I fail to see the problem here. By using optical from the TV to the AVR, all audio will be routed over the optical wire to the AVR through the TV.

The audio will get to the TV via HDMI, and be sent onwards to the AVR via optical.

16. lujan

lujan Member

May 24, 2010
    Yes, but what about the other devices connected to the TV inputs? How is audio sent by them? I want HDMI audio via ARC or eARC for those other devices.

17. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    The audio quality of the Optical cable is not (even close to) as good as the HDMI cable.

The proper method to connect is the TiVo to the AVR, then AVR to the TV.

HDMI Handshake issues can usually be solved by altering the order and timing of the Power On sequence.

-KP

18. LarryAtHome

LarryAtHome Active Member

Feb 18, 2008
    There have been many posts in the past of people using HDMI splitters to solve handshaking issues.
    TiVo to splitter
    Splitter to AVR
    AVR to TV

19. lujan

lujan Member

May 24, 2010
  20. jacktechie

jacktechie New Member

Feb 6, 2013
    South SF...
    I had problems with transfers when 1 of 2 Bolts was on wifi. Don't remember when both on ethernet. What fixed it was to have Comcast router be master and the 2 Bolts be MOCA clients. They have always worked since.

Our Samsung 50" KU630 doesn't recognize the Bolt a few times a year. Reset the TV - for the Samsung, it is long press Power on Samsung remote until screen comes back up.

lujan likes this.