Bolt, Tivo minis, and Eero

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Dave Waller, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Dave Waller

Dave Waller New Member

Mar 16, 2019

Advertisements

hi, just bought a TiVo Bolt and 2 minis. I didn’t realize until today that minis had to be hardwired (via Ethernet or MoCA). Neither of those are are options for me.

I’ve read about the usb wireless adapters that Tivo is releasing in a couple of months. This will solve my problem.

I went to buy a wireless bridge to try and use that while I wait for the new USB TiVo connector.

I saw the Eero at Best Buy and had other reasons to upgrade my wireless router. I also saw that the Eero devices all have Ethernet ports that I could plug the minis into.

Has anyone else tried this? I’ve read that some have had trouble several months ago with eero and TiVo but nothing lately. I can’t fins anyone who is plugging a Mini directly into an Eero.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    What's the model of your router? Buying a wireless bridge is a waste of money if you have an old 802.11n (or worse) router. I use two Mini boxes which plug into wireless bridges and use two different hosts. One host also uses a wireless bridge. Much depends on your physical environment. But without a really good router you may be wasting your time and money. I'm waiting for the TiVo bridge. I hope it make many people happy. BTW, most wireless extenders can be used as bridges.

3. Dave Waller

Dave Waller New Member

Mar 16, 2019
    The router is the eero pro WiFi System. It’s a mesh system. 802.11a/b/g/n/ac are the speeds it supports.

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Those are protocols, not speeds. But it's new so you have a good chance. I would keep searching TCF. Someone may have your answer.

5. Dave Waller

Dave Waller New Member

Mar 16, 2019

Advertisements

Many thanks for the help!!! I’m going to try it and report back. I found some things on Reddit and Erro’s sited about some issues that was ~6 months ago. It appeared to be firmware upgrade issues on the eero that they quickly fixed through tech support.

And if it doesn’t work, I can take the router back. Hope I can get all this to work to get rid of direct tv and the genie technology that is expensive and buggy.

Mikeguy likes this.
  6. Dave Waller

Dave Waller New Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Quick update - this has worked like a champ for a week. No lagging nor dropping of connections. Very happy and will be canceling directv shortly to save myself $140 a month.

IF you are looking for a WiFi solution for your minis, this works great for me.

Mikeguy and krkaufman like this.
  7. Dave Waller

Dave Waller New Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Another update -

We have had the Tivo with eero mesh network and a spectrum cable card for about 3 months.

No problems whatsoever. I have TiVo bolt and two minis. The network has fantastic range and well worth the investment I made.

If anyone wants a schematic or more info, feel free to reach out.

Mikeguy likes this.
  8. Cdubs

Cdubs New Member

Jul 22, 2019
    What was your setup and did you have to update your eero firmware? I have no problems connecting to apps on the Minis but my TiVo mini connection to my bolt for live tv is so slow.

9. Dave Waller

Dave Waller New Member

Mar 16, 2019
    I don’t recall if I updated the erro firmware. I do have the bolt directly wired to an erro that is directly connected to my cable modem.