1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bolt temperature ?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Azlife4me, Aug 12, 2018 at 7:34 AM.

1. Azlife4me

Azlife4me New Member

Saturday
    What is the normal temperature range for the TiVo Bolt. Does HD size make a difference. I am referring to the ODT on the System Information screen. I am not having any issues I am just curious as I have three and the temperatures vary between the three. Thanks for any information.

2. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Mine's usually at 60°c, but varies between 58°c and 62°c
    IIRC, ~60°c is the normal operating temp and HD size shouldn't make much of a difference.

3. Azlife4me

Azlife4me New Member

Saturday
    Thank you.

4. rgr

rgr Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Mine runs 60-67, it's at 66 now in a 80 degree room (fahrenheit). At what temp should I become concerned?

5. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Both of mine tend to run between 61 and 66 degrees (F). It is probably on the very low end, if not less, in the winter because I am extremely sensitive to heat and I keep the heater on about 59 during the day and 54 at night.

During the summer I mostly see temps between 64 and 66 on both of my Bolts. Since my husband didn't listen to me (you know - I'm just a dumb girl - but I did the research. whatever) when we had central air installed, the unit really doesn't cool the house as much as I'd like. When it's btwn 90 and 100 outside it will get up to 80 in the house. Too bad he and the HVAC guy didn't listen to me.

Even so, 66 is the highest I see on the Bolts. I'd like to see them run lower, if possible, as I'm also very sensitive to keeping my electronics as cool as possible. At least the Bolts have that space underneath. When I ran my Premieres, I used water bottle caps as little 'feet' under both units.

6. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    What did you suggest that they didn't do? Something is wrong if you can't get the home cooler than 80°F even if it is 90-100 outside.

7. TexasDVR

TexasDVR Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Running 65c here, so I guess that is normal. I know the outside of the box is a lot hotter than the TiVo Premiere

8. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Tell me about it! What I suggested was the proper tonnage size for the square footage of my house. What they did was to choose a smaller one.

9. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Yeah, better safe than sorry. A half ton more costs very little. We got up to about 112 a month ago and the ac couldn’t quite keep up, but our house is poorly insulated.

10. Azlife4me

Azlife4me New Member

Saturday
    Thanks to all.

11. malba2366

malba2366 New Member

Aug 18, 2014
    While the bolts run hot, and 65c may be normal according to Tivo, this is above what is generally considered to be ideal operating temps for hard drives. Most hard drive manufacturers quote 60C as the safe temp. Using a cooling fan below the bolt as many have posted on here lowers the temps pretty well.

12. tapokata

tapokata Active Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    cwerdna and Das Achteck like this.
  13. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Note this is the ODT - On Die Temperature which is not the same as the internal general temperature which would be more representative of the hard drive temperature. The MBT (main board temp?) on the older TiVos was a better measure of internal temperature.

Scott

cwerdna likes this.
  14. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    When I last used KickStart codes, the one for drive information was missing the drive temperature. Strange, since it is part of the S.M.A.R.T. data and was displayed on the old Sony DHG.

15. Richard in Marin

Richard in Marin Member

Jan 3, 2007
    SF Bay area
    I just stuck an auto A/C thermometer about one inch in the cable card slot and got 110F. That's about two inches away from the hottest spot on the top where I got 100F. I'm wondering whether or not to put the cable card cover on, (under) the box, or leave it off. I guess there might be a bit more air, but with a bit less movement.

16. tapokata

tapokata Active Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    38C to 43C? Leave it alone and call it good.

17. Luke M

Luke M Member

Nov 5, 2002
    67-69 is what I've seen with mine (stock 500GB).

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018 at 1:17 AM
  18. Phil_C

Phil_C Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Chicago
    Yes. My 3TB Bolt was operating at 64-68 C.

I raised the Bolt about a half inch with felt pads. I stood a small USB fan on the shelf directly behind the Bolt. (It's in an open-front cabinet.) I now see temps at 55-59 C.

19. leiff

leiff Member

Aug 24, 2005
    SF Bay area
    Sounds like I may take your approach since I also have an open cabinet and since putting the fan underneath my bolt sounds more difficult. Do you use bolt USB port? how big a fan?

20. Phil_C

Phil_C Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Chicago
    Yes, this setup works great with no hassles. I do not like the idea of blowing air INTO the TiVo from below. Temps below 60 C are satisfactory for me.

This is the fan:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G05A2MU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This size is the max that would fit on my shelf. It is plugged into the Bolt USB. There are 3 speeds. High is a bit louder than I like. I have it on medium and can't hear it from a few feet away in a quiet room. There is a USB plug on the fan cord where you can plug in a second fan so they work in tandem.

While I was at it, I got this larger fan:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MWH4FL4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I set it horizontally on my Denon AVR at low speed, and the previously hot AVR is actually cool to the touch. You can also buy a power adapter for the fan if you like. The fan cord is a 6 feet long.