Bolt+ Stopped Working

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by waynomo, Aug 29, 2019.

1. waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    My TiVo Bolt+ stopped working. The TiVo logo comes on 5 seconds after restarting and then goes away after another 5 seconds. After that the screen is blank and then my TV gives me the no signal found message. I can hear the HD spin up and spin down. The four LED lights on the front panel blink constantly.

Any idea what this could be? What's the best way to proceed?

2. waynomo

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Okay, I found this thread.
    TiVo Bolt All lights flashing, no cable

It looks like the HD has failed and I need to get another one.

Any chance on saving any of the recordings or the season passes?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  3. waynomo

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Hmmm, not a lot of 3 TB 2.5 inch drives out there.

4. JandS

JandS Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 1, 2010
    East of Seattle
    Checked Weaknees they seem to have drives listed, good luck

5. waynomo

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Looks like I might be able to call TiVo and get a replacement for $49. (Fingers crossed)

6. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Did Tivo tell you that your replacement would also have a 3TB hard drive?

7. waynomo

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Yes. And the last thing I did is verify that it was a 3 TB TiVo.

8. waynomo

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    So they are sending me a 3TB* TiVo Bolt Vox which I assume is the latest model. They are charging me $79. Should I be upset over the extra $30?

*I don't see that model as even an option on TiVo's website. One TB is the largest they are currently offering as best I can tell.

9. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Is your original TiVo Bolt+ in warranty or out? Lifetime subscription or monthly/annual?

And yep, not selling the Bolt 3TB anymore: the original drive for it, a Western Digital drive, no longer is available, and TiVo has not sourced a replacement; and TiVo was finding that the 1TB Bolt was outselling the 3TB Bolt.

10. waynomo

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    I've had that Bolt for 2+ years so out of warranty. It has lifetime. I think I upgraded this from a TiVoHD when they did the lifetime swap offer for $99.

11. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    I think $79 for that is great. I've heard as low as $49 (although I can't recall all the specifics, and haven't seen that for a while, now), but also charges of ~$100-$150 or more, more recently. Smile. :)

Also, do consider: you're getting a replacement unit that isn't sold anymore (thinking, the 3TB capacity), and with a VOX remote (they better be including the VOX remote). A big smile. :) :)

And if you need any other reason to be way pleased: a 3TB 2.5" replacement drive for the Bolt box (the often-used Toshiba drive) currently is selling for $155 (I found the 2TB Toshiba drive for $85). You're paying $79 despite the expiration of the warranty 1+ years ago and are getting a new box with a voice remote, and don't need to do any work other than mailing the old box back. Are you smiling yet? ;)

12. waynomo

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    @Mikeguy
    It's more of a smirk. I get what you're saying and there was even a part of me that thought about saying how about upgrading me to the newest box for $100 extra instead of sending me an older model Bolt. (So I would have paid $149) Still the idea that someone may have gotten the same deal for $30 less bothers me a bit.* As it is TiVo could have said screw waynomo and done nothing so I get that too.
    However, when you consider that I lost 3 TB of recordings and probably all my season passes and wish lists** I find very little reason to smile. Also the problem was most likely due to faulty drives from WD.***

I do understand that I'll be getting this years model.

Forgetting the remote and the Vox ability is the box itself any better or different?

*I believe in one of the threads I read about this issue that some reported about 2 weeks ago that they got the replacement for $49.

**Wish lists can take some tweaking especially considering all the words/names you want to exclude from searches etc.

***I wonder if WD is compensating TiVo in some fashion?

13. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    The box pretty surely is the same as what you already have, although if you're currently on TE3, the new box will have TE4 installed (which you can sidegrade to TE3, should you wish).

I understand the frustration of losing recordings, passes, and wishlists. And you're right, it could relate to defective WD drives. And while I want all of my TiVo boxes to last forever, the fact is, you were out of warranty and for $79, you're getting a brand new box and not losing your Lifetime. I wouldn't think twice about a person who got a replacement for $30 less under whatever specific circumstances he/she had.

Sleep on it. ;)

14. bill02888

bill02888 New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Massachusett...
    Hi,

Me too. I opened my A/V cabinet to see all 4 lights on the front of my Bolt Plus flashing simultaneously. I searched and found that this means that the drive (or maybe power supply) is "completely dead". In spite of that I continued the process that has worked before when there were bad sectors on a TiVo hard drive.

I purchased a replacement hard drive from WeeKnees. When it arrived I used WD's disk diagnostics on a Windows PC to test for any bad sectors. It checked out fine. I installed both hard drives into an old PC where I booted from a thumb drive containing Ubuntu Rescue Remix. I used "hdparm -i /dev/sda" to confirm that I knew which drive was sda and which was sdb, then I used "ddrescue -f -n /dev/sda /dev/sdb" to copy from the old drive to the new drive. It ran for a long time. In the end it was only unable to recover from 10 errors (45,056 bytes) which I thought was quite good! I installed the new drive in the TiVo. It did NOT run through setup, but when I checked there were NO recordings on the hard drive! Waaa!

Why?

Note: I paid for lifetime service on this box.

Thoughts? Tips? Prayers?
    Thanks,
    Bill

15. JSearfoss

JSearfoss Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Wellsboro, PA
    The bad part is we are still getting the crap 3tb drives in the replacements Tivo is sending out. My third Bolt+ had the four flashing lights this morning. The 1st one I bought new with 4 flashing lights out of the box. Tivo replaced free using my 3yr extended warranty that I also bought with it. The replacement lasted about 13 months. Tivo replaced free (after fighting with them over the 3yr extended warranty). That replacement is just over 14 months old and it just died. And I did have a cooling fan sitting behind it. I am up in the air about trying an external 3.5" drive or reverting back to my Roamio and waiting to see what Tivo has to offer with the Tivo Edge. Hopefully they will have a good trade up deal for us Bolt owners. Don't get me wrong I have had Tivo's for at least 15 years and would not use anything else, but the Bolts were a bad design.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  16. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Jeez, 3 in a row. Sorry you've been subjected to that.

17. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Might be better to
    I've been using this drive in a white bolt for 2 years.

Seagate 3TB Laptop HDD SATA 6Gb/s 128MB Cache 2.5-Inch 15 mm Height Internal Hard Drive (ST3000LM016)

I've been using a 2TB WD20NPVX for my Bolt Vox for 7 months, which might be a better compromise.

18. pagefault

pagefault Member

Sep 20, 2002
    Redmond, WA
    $79 sounds pretty good compared to what I was quoted. I have two dead Bolt+ 3GB units each with lifetime. I called today and they said it would be $149/ea to replace the unit, and an additional $199/ea to transfer lifetime to the replacement.

I'm not really interested in sinking $348 into a device that I fully expect to fail in a year.