Bolt 'stock' 50mm fan control?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by WVZR1, Feb 22, 2021 at 11:31 PM.

1. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...

Advertisements

I don't see it mentioned anywhere specifically and I have 'zero' Bolt experience but is the 2 pin fan speed controlled in any way from the Bolt 'motherboard'?

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    A quick Google search for tivo bolt fan pwm suggests it is controlled via PWM.

3. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    I don't know quite what to say!

There's 'two' things I try not to do: (1) GOOGLE anything!! (2) Buy from Bezos! (1) happens seldom and (2) less frequently than even that. Maybe someone will stop by that can confirm. I've nearly no time with Bolt and don't recall ever hearing the fan accelerate during start-up or stress.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    LOL!

For 1, what do you use instead? Bing? DuckDuckGo? Something else? Frankly, so many correct (and unfortunately incorrect, as well) answers can be located by simple Google searches. You could use those two that I suggested or searching TCF itself for the example terms I gave.

2) LOL. Umm... well, a necessary "evil" (?), I guess. They do have lots of stuff, decent prices, pretty good customer service and I've had few probs w/anything ordered from them. (Yes, I know of some of the dark side to them.) Even if you avoid ordering things from them, you are still likely indirectly using their services since AWS (Amazon Web Services) is used by MANY MANY companies.

5. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...

Advertisements

I noticed one thing this AM - I actually hadn't 'Titled the Thread' as I had intended. I intended the thread title to be

BLACK Bolt 'stock' 50mm fan control?

I had read much of the Bolt 'product' content here on the TCF and it seemed that by dates of the posts and also some snapshots that many/most seemed to be discussions regarding fans 'WHITE Bolts' or that I couldn't determine which was being discussed. I thought just ask? A thread title I'm quite sure can't be 'altered/edited' by an OP and in many forums it's often not done if requested by OP to Moderation or Management.

GOOGLE this AM didn't know if my Bolt is Black or White - hinted that the request might be considered 'racist' so I quit :)

I don't speak so I've no Alexa or Siri to ask. DuckDuckGo thought I was joking! LOL

***I believe I may ride by Xfinity (70+ mile round trip) today and pick up a CableCARD so I can maybe put mine in service. I don't know that I'm interested in a Tivo activation of the 'Test Bolt' yet.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 7:58 AM
  6. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Bolt color doesn't matter for the fans, it can matter for other items, but model number is more important.
    I can confidently say that the Bold fan is PWM and controlled by the motherboard, in the boot process they sound like jet engines, then slow down to almost silent in my experience with 3 Bolts in my orbit.

cwerdna and WVZR1 like this.
  7. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    I didn't get the Xfinity CableCARD today,

The Philips HDR212 has a volume of 11.7 liter and there'll likely be nearly 60mm clearance PCB 'heatsink' to the cover. Should a fan 'lift' air or 'blow' air onto the 'heatsink'? PC builders often don't agree. This snapshot is the Bolt less the covers in the box just resting. The 2.5 HDD and the conventional fan will 'go away' of course but I was interested in fan direction and if there's various thoughts on how to actually mount a fan appropriately spaced to the PCB heatsink.

** Also knowing that the MB does control that fan maybe I continue to use that connection for the HS Fan vs sourcing directly from new PSU or board.

What is the smaller 'heatsink' appearing component I have 'squared' in the snapshot. I have a HIDEit coming soon that I considered using to mount the Bolt which would mean the motherboard' stays on the Bolt base and I'd just aerate the underside as some already have.

There's also an 80mm fan that exits the cabinet,

Bolt'HEAT SINK'.jpg

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021 at 6:38 AM