Bolt slows down and reboots on recordings

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by wineguru, Jan 9, 2018.

1. wineguru

wineguru New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    BOSTON,MA
    Hi, I have a Bolt 1000 that I'm using OTA. Worked fine all last year. Suddenly, when watching a recording, it would slow down, stutter, go blank and sometimes reboot. All functions would have a slow response, just like a bad hard drive in a PC when you are trying to access something that is in a bad sector on the HD.
    Done all the standard things like soft/hard reboot.
    That said I only use it OTA and if I'm in real time it works fine. If I try to go backwards it stutters and pixelates until I get back to realtime.

Now, I also have attached a MyBook HD, that was on my old HD Tivo. Trying to troubleshoot, I went thru the procedure to disconnect the external HD. FYI, you go into one of the settings and tell it to that you want to remove the drive. it tells you to shut down and remove the drive the power up...problem is that once I power up it tells me the external drive is missing or off and won't let me get any farther into the software. So I have to shut down and plug the drive back and it boots back up. So, I can't determine if the external drive is the problem vs the internal drive...frustrating!

And on top of that I got a stupid answer from Tivo support telling me to shut the bolt down for half an hour then restart...WTF? Do little people run around inside the bolt fixing it during that time? LOL.

So, I assume the hard drive is crap but just looking to see if anyone else has similar situation.
    Thanks,

2. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Certainly sounds like a bad drive. General consensus is that it is a really bad idea to try and use an external eSATA drive + internal drive with the new boxes - much greater risk of failure and losing ALL recordings (and after many years of using them, I personally think the eSATA interface is total garbage that is very problematic - I won't touch them anymore). Since internal drive upgrade is simply drop and play simple, it really does not make sense to risk it all using an old eSATA drive. In fact, not only are those drives not sold now, but TiVo stated sometime last year that they do not support the eSATA drives any longer even if you can find one. And that really old external drive of yours was probably on borrowed time anyway.

Anyway, I cannot say exactly how you should be able to divorce that drive, but you might try just booting the box with a new internal drive and see if it can come up that way. If it does, then you could always go back to the stock drive and see if it will still work, but either way, all recordings are already gone unless it is still working well enough that you can copy some of them off before changing the drives.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  3. wineguru

wineguru New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    BOSTON,MA
    Couple of things a) it's still under warranty so I really should call support but I hate to go thru all the crap that they put you thru just reach the same conclusion I have.
    b) I have a 7200rpm 3TB drive that I bought for my older Roamio but I hesitant to void the warranty by breaking the seals.
    c) as for programs I didn't have that many on there so can afford to lose them. 9 times out of 10 it's on Hulu/Netflix anyway!

Do you know if I drop the new drive in will it automatically format and run setup?

Thanks,

4. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Roamio uses 3" drives, Bolt uses 2.5", so you cannot use that old drive unless you modify the case to let it hang outside. Besides, general wisdom says not to use a 7200 rpm drive in a TiVo - 5400 is better. Options for Bolt drives are VERY limited - see the upgrade forum for more info, but basically you only have a 2TB WD drive or a 3TB Toshiba to choose from. NEVER use a Seagate drive in the Bolt!

There are no seals on the Bolt case, so no warranty to really consider if just upgrading the internal drive. As long as you use a 3TB or smaller, there is absolutely nothing to do except unplug the old drive and plug in the new one. Do know that ANY TIME the drive is changed on a Bolt, all old content on the new drive is lost - that means that even if you take out a good drive with good recordings on it, test a new drive, then try to put the original drive back in, all recordings on that original drive will go away.

If you just want to do a temporary test like I suggested in the first reply, any 2.5" SATA drive might be fine (if you have one laying around), since you won't leave it in there any longer than to just boot the Bolt. Or possibly even boot it with a 3" drive while the case is still open so that you see if the box will even come up, then switch back to your stock drive so you can see if it is bad or not.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018