BOLT shuts off

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by jetcobra, Oct 18, 2019.

1. jetcobra

jetcobra Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    One of my TIVO Bolts has now shut off twice with all of the 4 front LED's flashing. Each time I have rebooted and it then works fine. This has happened over the last month.

Is there anything I should check? It this an indication of further problems. I replaced the original HDD with a larger one (2 TB I believe) when I first optained the Bolt.

Thanks for any inputs.

2. philhu

philhu User Since Day ONE!

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, AZ
    4 blinking lights means hard disk failure

Time to get another new disk and clone it again

Wigohwt and keithg1964 like this.
  3. jetcobra

jetcobra Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Will I be able to save my recordings?

4. philhu

philhu User Since Day ONE!

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, AZ
    Sure. Give it a try. As long as it doesnt fail during copy your good to go

5. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    And get a Backup of your OnePasses and Channels with KMTTG. Maybe Thumbs, too.

-KP

6. jetcobra

jetcobra Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Okay - how do I get them from KMTTG?

Also - after reading around on the forum I have decided to replace my 2.5" internal drive with an 8TB 3.5" drive in an enclosure and connected sata to sata and to use MFSR to expand the 3.5 drive. I would like to copy recordings from the internal to the new external drive. How would I do this and what tool/process is to be used?

7. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
  8. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Doesn't the shutoff issue also happen from overheating? I wonder if using a fan blowing on the box could remedy matters (I believe that others have posted here that it has). AC Infinity via Amazon is a good choice.

9. Wigohwt

Wigohwt Member

Jun 9, 2019
    Yes, but after it restarts, it tells you this on the screen, and there is the normal green LED.

Important to have a cooling option with the Bolt for sure.

10. Wigohwt

Wigohwt Member

Jun 9, 2019
    It's your choice. If you use MFSR for a fresh start, you can transfer all your shows (without CP) to your PC with kmttg or pyTivo, and restore them later with pyTivo. As mentioned in post #5, use kmttg to backup and restore.

Or, use MFS Tools to copy the HDD to your new 8TB by following the process in the DIY 10TB Roamio thread (works for Bolts too!).

Important not to format a drive in the Bolt before backups or you'll lose everything! Once you move to the 8TB, you can't go back to the old drive or another. You can only move forward.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019