(Bolt) Service Connection while in Standby ?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by rcoates777, May 22, 2017.

1. rcoates777

rcoates777 Member

Jun 28, 2005

Advertisements

Let's start the week with an easy one. Will scheduled service connections take place if the Bolt is in Standby when the scheduled connection time arrives? Thanks! Bob

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Yes. And VCM Connections, recordings, suggestions, software updates and wish list recordings.

krkaufman likes this.
  3. rcoates777

rcoates777 Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Thanks, Joe. I've always wondered what a VCM connection was. Can you shed some light on this?

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Please understand this is from observation, not inside knowledge or documentation.

A VCM Connection seems to happen about every four hours. For "triggered" connections, I see it happening after a guide update that causes a change to be applied to your To Do List. Also, I see (sometimes) a connection is done when you change your channel list. My theory is that something that affects TiVo Online causes a connection. This has become more frequent since TiVo Online is closer to reality with respect to your unit.

Just one more thing. TiVo knows your viewing habits, Ponder that too. ;)

Please understand this is pure speculation. But I watch System Information a lot. Since Rovi, there have been changes, like indexing done every 12 hours not just after a guide update. I have a lot of free time, but I do not know all the answers. TiVo is a really neat toy.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    Mikeguy likes this.
  5. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...

Advertisements

I use High Power saving mode. In that mode, suggestions are not recorded in Standby.

6. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    ^ +1.
    And that is frightening. Really.

7. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    It is a Twonky. :)

Scott

8. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    If you are going in standby to save power, on the Roamio Basic, Roamio OTA, and Bolt (don't know about Bolt Plus), it probably isn't worth it. I measure 12W-13W during normal usage and 12W in standby. For Roamio Pro, I was seeing 18W under normal usage and 13W under standby.

Now if you have some HDMI connection problem it might help to have your unit go in standby between uses to get the HDMI connection starting fresh when you turn on your equipment.

Mikeguy likes this.
  9. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    "standby" mode has traditionally only turned off the video outputs of the TiVo - everything else - inputs, tuners, hard drive, CPU, etc are still running at full speed and full power.

10. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    That's not true anymore, Bolts and Roamios have 4 settings:
    Off: The TiVo device does not automatically enter standby mode, and will continue to record TiVo Suggestions.
    Low: The TiVo device automatically enters standby mode after four hours of inactivity, and will continue to record TiVo Suggestions.
    Medium: The TiVo device automatically enters standby mode after four hours of inactivity, and will not record TiVo Suggestions.
    High: The TiVo device automatically enters standby mode after two hours of inactivity, and will not record TiVo Suggestions

https://support.tivo.com/articles/Features_Use/Power-Saving-and-Standby-Modes

11. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    There was a point when the hard drive got turned off (at least for the "don't record suggestions" standby choices), but there was an update where it stopped doing that. Currently, I believe the hard drive is running during standby.

Complete separate debate whether shutting down HD is a good idea (and there are different versions of power management for the HD that range from parking heads to lower spin rate to full shutdown)

12. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    My Roamios and Bolts spin down their hard drives in high power saving mode. As long as no recordings are taking place. You can tell when the drive was spun down because it takes much longer to come out of standby than when the drive is still spinning. Not to mention you can hear the drive spin up if the room is quiet.

Sent from my Tab S 10.5 using Tapatalk

13. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    I am curious, do you ever notice your units getting into a state where they won't go into standby. I have been turning on and off various units recently and sometimes my Roamio Pro and OTA won't go into standby anymore. After I reboot they go into standby again.

14. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    No I have not run into any issues. Each day they are always in standby when I go to use them.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk