Bolt search stopped working - Onepass and wishlist still work ?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by das335, Oct 30, 2017.

1. das335

das335 Member

Feb 8, 2006
    I have a very strange problem with my new Bolt 500 GB. I am using it as OTA and it has worked great for the last few weeks. I got it as an upgrade to my Premiere with the recent TiVo offer.

Suddenly, the TiVo search option stopped working. It will bring back a list of matches but it will never (and I mean never) show any episodes to record. It states "nothing available to record ..." when you chose a show, even a show that is currently being received. My OnePass settings still work correctly and I can pick shows from the guide and record. I also created a WishList search and it finds all the episodes I expect.

I noticed this after the recent upgrade to 20.7.4 but not immediately so I'm not sure if it is connected to the update. I also recently worked with my antenna placement so my TiVo Bolt had a "no TV signal" for a short time.

I have done the following to try and correct the problem:

1) restart the Bolt
    2) Clear Guide and ToDo list
    3) repeat Guided setup

I looked at the search options and they have "ALL" across the board. I tried changing them but nothing seemed to work.

The Guide data is there it just seems that the search function can not see or use it.

I really don't want to do a Clear and Delete because I moved over a lot of shows from my Premiere that I do not want to lose.

Any suggestions ?

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I have had this problem for about a week. BTW, I have found sometime I do get a thumbnail for a search result, but it's 100% not currently available. I have done a C&DE and this morning I replaced the hard drive. I also removed the small 2032 battery for a minute. Nothing helps, and a side effect was VCM Connections failing.

BTW, a C&DE does not un-pair a cable card. Replacing the hard drives does, but doesn't affect the channel mapping. Not your problem, I know. Also I am using a basic Roamio.

Seems there is no way to erase that memory either. After wiping everything it still remembers my boxes name. You may also try TiVo Online and doing a search from there. All I get is a BSC.

3. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Still works just fine for me. I just did a search for "sheld", found "Young Sheldon", and see two upcoming episodes I can record.

4. das335

das335 Member

Feb 8, 2006
    I'm sure it is something limited to my environment and not a widespread problem. Just hoping someone else has already solved the problem. I restarted my router and now I have managed to move the problem to my Roamio (on cable) as well. I have seen some C501 errors on the Bolt when I tried to Browse Movies and TV so I think it is some type of network problem. I can stream Youtube and MLB.TV fine and all other network devices also work.

Having the problem move to the Roamio (which was working fine UNTIL I rebooted my router) tells me it is not a Bolt specific problem and probably tied to my network.

5. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    While I can't discount a network problem, I have two Roamio and one Premiere boxes. That and four Mini boxes. One Roamio and the Premiere are just fine. All use the same router, which has been rebooted. I also tried to use the wireless on the bad Roamio and no change. I just recreated 20 1P without any problem. To Do List is correct and I know the recordings will be fine, including SM. All that fails is Search.

This may not be related, but a person with a DVR+, which uses the same guide database, also has failing Search.

Have you tried Search from TiVo Online yet?

6. das335

das335 Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Ok, I tried using TV Online and I got mixed results.
    I have new TiVo Bolt 500 GB - OTA
    TiVo Roamio Basic - Frontier cable
    TiVo Premiere - OTA

I recently rebooted the Bolt and Roamio. I can not get a TiVo Online search to work with either of these. I did NOT reboot my Premiere and the TiVo Online search does work for it.

When I try and use the Browse TV option for the Bolt from TV Online, I get:

Server Error
    The server encountered an error. Please try again later.

For the Roamio, I see a list of shows and it seems that I can find upcoming episodes. I did get an error when I tried to filter on "The Hallmark Channel".

I will wait to see if others have any more suggestions before I start rebooting eveything. I do think the problem started for my Bolt after I rebooted it last Friday when I was working with my antenna placement.

I have Frontier as my ISP in the Tampa, Florida area.

7. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Duplicated. I'm using two Roamio boxes.

Also: On Roamio, Browse TV & Movies, select any category, click on any item, receive C501 error.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  8. das335

das335 Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Well, the search function and Browse TV option started working again on my Roamio. At some point, I forced a network connection and did a restart and noticed the search function worked again. No such luck with the Bolt. My Premiere is still working fine but I think TiVo will deactivate it after Tues 10/31 since I accepted their upgrade offer to get a new Bolt and transfer my lifetime service.

Since others are having similar problems, I will just keep checking on the Bolt and post any new info. Hopefully, if it is some type of network issue it will just clear up in a few days.

9. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I'll light a candle. :(

das335 likes this.
  10. das335

das335 Member

Feb 8, 2006
    I'm afraid we might need to light a lot of candles for this problem.
    I did some more testing with my Roamio (working) and Bolt (not working) and here are the results:
    1) Using the search function, I put in a single letter (like 'K') and got a list of shows.
    2) Used the right arrow to move to an item in the search results
    3) On the Roamio, it works and gives a show description as expected.
    On the Bolt, I get one of three results:
    If it is a Movie, I seem to get a description
    If it is a TV show, I get a match but it says "Description not available"
    or
    it bounces right back to the list without displaying anything

I also did some more testing with TiVo Online using Chrome with the developer console window open. When I try and access some of my recorded shows on my Bolt, it gets an error trying to find items on a TiVo server. I can play some recorded shows but usually I can not get to anything with multiple episodes.

In my case, it looks like the problem is that the Bolt can not get descriptions for TV shows. The recorded shows have the show information (from the guide ?) but the search results (or from Browse TV) do not.

11. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    We may need to light a tree. Please post your problem -> Search Fails | TiVo Troubleshooting | TiVo Help Forums

12. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I searched for "world series" last week on my bolt and only one pregame show was returned. I created a wishlist search and all the world series games were returned.

13. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Try Search. Put in "TO" and wait. Select Today with Kathy Lee and Hoda. If there is a message below the thumbnail "NOT CURRENTLY AVAILABLE", join the party. Browse TV and get a C501 error.

14. das335

das335 Member

Feb 8, 2006
    JoeKustra likes this.
  15. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I saw. Thanks a lot.

16. das335

das335 Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Joe,
    I am thinking of setting up my TiVo Bolt with a static IP address and using the Google DNS to see if that helps. I've done a little research and that's about all I can think of try while we watch our candles burn out. :)

Any thoughts on this ?

17. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    All my TiVo's have a reservation, meaning a fixed IP address. Also, I have changed from wired to wireless on the Roamio and it had no effect.

My current plan is to wait until Saturday then put back my original hard drive. This will take a while since I should need to run a C&DE after the drive is replaced to get VCM Connections running again. They have stopped now. I left a wake up message on TiVo's support forum, but that was just to keep my thread on the sign-in screen.

If you get some free time, you might start a new thread on TiVo's support with a title like mine. Just cut & paste your post. This may get us more exposure. The person with the DVR+ has been absent, so I don't know if it still has an issue. I'll ask tomorrow. I hate to say it, but until more users have the problem we are adrift in a very large ocean. Right now Hydra is getting all the attention. I hate to say it, but why us?

18. das335

das335 Member

Feb 8, 2006
    JoeKustra likes this.
  19. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I see you are having failing VCM Connections. I also opened a support thread for Port 37 failures and RS Corrected errors not displayed.

20. das335

das335 Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Yes. They still have not replied to my support thread but I will keep updating it until TiVo decides to actually look into our problems. There have to be many people that never use the search function that are having "our" problem too, they just don't know it.