Bolt Requires Parental Controls Pin For Apps?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by stini777, Dec 28, 2018.

1. stini777

stini777 Member

Mar 15, 2016

Advertisements

I don't know exactly when the change occured (it's likely it was with the last update) but I now have to input my parental controls PIN every time I want to watch a streaming app. It wasn't like this before - the parental controls only applied to content that originated from my Bolt - recordings, live tv etc. Anyone else experiencing this and if so, do you have a fix? Thanks in advance.

2. smark

smark Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Is it possible something got flipped on by mistake? I don't have any PINs set. Do you have it set for items on the Bolt itself?

3. global_dev

global_dev Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Northern VA
    not experiencing this on my bolt either.

4. stini777

stini777 Member

Mar 15, 2016
    It looks like it's happening when I choose the "Apps" menu from the shortcuts bar (although I don't remember this happening before). If I set a One Pass for an individual show and try to access it from "My Shows" it doesn't happen. Maybe they decided to apply it to the Apps shortcut because it could ultimately lead to changes to the setup and/or access to material that might require the parental controls PIN?

5. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland

Advertisements

Have you rebooted or reviewed the parental control menus?

6. stini777

stini777 Member

Mar 15, 2016
    Yes. Everything seems to be in order.

7. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

do you have a pin set if you do try disabling it

8. stini777

stini777 Member

Mar 15, 2016
    Disabled the PIN and got the expected result - no prompt for the PIN when accessing the Apps menu. Also, when I hit the dedicated NETFLIX button on the remote (with PC enabled), it does not prompt me for the PIN. I'm guessing that somewhere along the way TiVo felt that the PIN should be required when accessing the Apps menu. Kind of makes sense - any change to system settings requires the PIN and you can make changes within the Apps menu. Also, you can access content (HBO Go, etc) within the Apps menu that would be considered inappropriate for children.