Bolt+ Replacement Drive Options?

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by c-collins, Jun 24, 2020.

1. c-collins

c-collins Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Brick, NJ
    The Bolt+ I got 3 years ago during the one in a lifetime upgrade sale seems to have have suffered a HDD failure. Getting the flashing lights on the front after I power cycle.

What are my best replacement options for an HDD? or SSD I cant even find 3TB 2.5 inch drives.
    Week Knees does list them but $299 seems pricey.

Im know I lose all my content will I also lose all my season passes?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Everything is lost once the HD fails. Bolts tend to fail faster since they use the 2.5inch laptop drives. You can also use 3.5 inch drives, but they have to be in an external case and wired directly between the drive and MB.

3. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Call TiVo support and see what they'll do for you as they've been offering replacements for Bolt+ drive failures at reduced costs even for units like yours that would not be covered under warranty or Continual Care (in some cases they even contacted the user before the drive failed as it was reporting errors).

Scott

tommage1 likes this.
  4. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    First of all you don't HAVE to replace with a 3TB. As far as I know there are no CURRENT model 3TB (or even 2TB) 2.5" CMR drives being manufactured (you cannot use a SMR drive). But you can get 500GB-1TB 2.5" CMR drives (one example is the WD 1TB 2.5 Red, it is CMR). Or you can go external, it is not that tough and opens up a load of economical large drive size options. You can take a look at my external upgrade thread to see if it is something you want to attempt. It will work with TE3 and TE4. If not and you can live with 1TB or under can still find 2.5" CMR drives.

TE4 Bolt upgrade with external drive

If going external you still have to be careful to buy a CMR 3.5" drive. Exact model numbers are important, for example some WD Reds are CMR (good), others SMR (will not work). This site is rather handy for finding out what model number drives are CMR or SMR.

The HDD Platter Capacity Database

At the time of this posting all WD PURPLES are CMR (and Weaknees uses the purples in at least some of their upgrades). You will most likely lose all recordings and settings if your current drive has completely failed. Only chance of saving I can think of could be cloning the failing drive (cloning, not copying) to a new drive and hope there are few enough errors on current drive where the clone might partially work.

One final thing, the Bolt will format a fresh drive up to 3TB. Anything more you need to use MFSR and/or MFST to use the added capacity. And once you put in a new drive and the Bolt formats it EVERYTHING on your current drive will be lost, even if you don't alter the drive.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020 at 7:29 AM
  5. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    It's definitely worth a shot. However since Xperi took over I have not read a post about them replacing the 3TB Bolt for a reasonable price like they used to (even free occasionally). One person with a 3TB said $149 for the unit and $199 to transfer lifetime service. But a call would not hurt.

6. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I just read that as well after replying here. :(

Scott

7. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Still worth a shot though, not sure if it's some blanket Xperi thing with the 3TB models. After all the reason Tivo replaced cheap or free pre Xperi was kind of a design flaw, ie a drive that can fail very quickly. But technically they don't have to do anything for units out of warranty.............

8. c-collins

c-collins Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Brick, NJ
    Thank you everyone for the advice.
    After learning the hard way SMR drives won't work with a 2TB WD blue. I ended up buying the 3TB model from weaknees. It is installed and running now.
    I opted for internal because of 3 little gremlins in my house who would never leave an external enclosure alone.
    I wonder what Tivo or Drive makers are doing that that makes SMR drives incompatible. SMR drives are a big problem in the tech world in general.
    I miss the days of Tivo using 3.5 inch drives it was so much easier and cost effective.

9. multiple

multiple Member

Aug 26, 2007