Bolt repair or replace?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Stellar, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Stellar

Stellar New Member

Sep 9, 2017
    Hey - thanks for any input.

My Bolt purchased 2016 just suffered hard drive failure, which totally sucks. If you assume I can’t or don’t want to do the repair work myself, and assume that I’m willing to pay the price for either option, which of these choices is better and why:
    1. Send to Weaknees for repair
    2. Buy a brand new unit

Thanks!

2. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Before doing anything else, recommended to telephone TiVo customer support and inform them, and ask what they can do about it--some of the Bolt hard drives have a track record of failure (WeaKnees even offers a bounty for the failed Western Digital 3TB drives), and TiVo has been known to replace the boxes (even if out of warranty) at lower cost, through a simple telephone call.

(Apart from that, it really is pretty easy to replace the drive, an hour or less of your time and just involving removed some screws, prying the top of the case off, and unplugging/plugging in the drive.)

jrtroo and NorthAlabama like this.
  3. Stellar

Stellar New Member

Sep 9, 2017
    Thank you Mike. I will call, and if that doesn’t help, you’ve gotten my attention. I think I would look into doing it myself after all.

4. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    So easy to replace. YouTube videos show it all, step by step.

5. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    A great video guide to the process: www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcH8NyRDRCU. And a helpful written guide: TiVo Bolt Hard Drive Replacement. Both showing that, you really can do it. :)

But my guess is, TiVo is going to cover you here.

6. Stellar

Stellar New Member

Sep 9, 2017
    All the input appreciated. Mike was absolutely right. Tivo is sending me a new unit. Long out of warranty, I wasn’t expecting that.

jcondon, Mikeguy and NorthAlabama like this.
  7. TomRaz

TomRaz Member

Feb 28, 2002
    But your new unit from Tivo will probably have Hydra software i.e. TE4 !

8. Stellar

Stellar New Member

Sep 9, 2017
    Worth the price I guess! Which may ease any suffering

9. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    You can roll back to TE3. pytivo and TE3 work great together!

Mikeguy likes this.
  10. Stellar

Stellar New Member

Sep 9, 2017
    Admittedly, you guys are speaking a foreign language. I was just happy to be getting a replacement machine. It sounds like maybe I’m getting one built by aliens, or that only speaks Romanian? o_O

11. Stellar

Stellar New Member

Sep 9, 2017
    I see. We’re talking UI. I hated the last change, which I think must have been to TE3, because I didn’t want a window with live tv showing. Especially when recording sports - I spend my life trying NOT to find out results of games I record. And I don’t need suggestions. I’m willing to figure out what to watch myself.
    So the important thing about U/Is to me is how to turn off features I can’t live with...I’ll need to do some research!

12. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Great that TiVo is doing you a solid! :up: (Just curious, and perhaps helpful for others here: are they charging you/what's the current charge?)

The preview window issue: it easily can be turned off (and back on)--press the slow button on the remote (the 6 o'clock position on the bottom circle on the remote).

And should you want to sidegrade back from the current UI to the previous (which some users prefer)*: How to Rollback Hydra from Roamio and Mini's v1 (this works for the Bolt boxes as well). Note that any recordings will be lost in the process--save anything you want to your PC first (freeware pyTivo Desktop is a great software for this, as well as for transferring shows back to a TE3 TiVo box--http://www.pytivodesktop.com/ (and the discussion thread here about it: Easier to use pyTivo)).

* Note that the "Bolt OTA" specific model cannot be sidegraded back to the TE3 UI, and will only use the TE4 UI. The other Bolt box models can be sidegraded back to TE3.

13. Stellar

Stellar New Member

Sep 9, 2017
    Thanks for that - I’ll be using it!

As far as the new unit, it’s $49. They ship it out when the receive the old box back, so I opted to pay $49+$499 for immediate shipment, the $499 refunded when they receive the return. I shipped out the old one this morning, so I expect my $499 back in a week or two.

I have to say, they were easy to deal with and the process was simple. Printed out a free shipping label for the return as well. Exceeded expectations.

Mikeguy likes this.
  14. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    That's great! It's so nice when TiVo does this and it all works out relatively easily (albeit, there's the inconvenience of it all, of course, as well as a major disappointment with lost shows--but still). TiVo seems to fluctuate on the replacement charge--you're at the low price it seems to charge people. Good for you!

I hope that the new box works out well--

15. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    You're getting a refurbished Tivo that has the same problematic hard drive. Might have been a better compromise to put the $49 towards a 2TB drive and install it yourself. I've been using a 2TB WD20NPVX for my Bolt Vox for 7 months.

16. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Yeah, I don’t care so much about the money as the loss of content when the drive dies. That’s why I didn’t bother getting another unit when my hard drive died- for the second time in two years. I am going with a 3.5” drive setup external to the box.

17. Stellar

Stellar New Member

Sep 9, 2017
    I don’t like the loss of content one bit. But frankly most of it is replaceable, or not all that important to me, and if there’s anything vital, I can back it up before the inevitable failure. For me, getting it up and running fast with minimal time expended is my priority.
    But to be clear, I suspect down the road we will look back at this period as primitive and barbaric, even though for us it’s a huge upgrade from the VCR. One day we will not have to deal with hard drive failures, loss of content, etc. But growing up with no choice but to watch things when the network decided to air them, and having to sit through commercials....well my life is a lot better -
    Update: the new unit will arrive Saturday

18. opfreak

opfreak New Member

Mar 2, 2016
    Thanks for this, my Bolt just got stuck on a 'starting up' screen, and while out of warranty, TiVo replaced a lifetime box for a reasonable cost.

Mikeguy and kpeters59 like this.
  19. Stellar

Stellar New Member

Sep 9, 2017
    My new one is up and running, in time for this weekend’s football. Including the time to revert to the old UI!