Bolt Remote Control range dramatically worsens with Netflix or Amazon

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Jeff Anderson, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Jeff Anderson

Jeff Anderson New Member

Aug 8, 2017

Advertisements

I purchased a refurbished Tivo Bolt last month.

I've noticed a problem when trying to control playback of Netflix and Amazon videos via this Tivo Bolt.

Specifically, the range of the "peanut" remote-control device dramatically decreases if I am playing Netflix and Amazon videos. If I am sitting on my couch, the peanut is essentially worthless once the video begins to play and I cannot control playback. I must get up off the couch and stand within a few feet of the TV bolt to control it.

Very annoying!!!

But the peanut remote works fine when viewing cable channels or playing back videos recorded by Tivo. I can do all from the comfort of my couch.

(Apart from the really annoying part of this (which is VERY annoying), I am also puzzled why this would be happening. I've assumed the peanut remote control uses IR, and there shouldn't be an issue (in my opinion) if it were an IR controller. Could it be wireless, instead?)

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If the LED is red, the remote is using IR. If the LED is amber, the remote is using RF.

https://support.tivo.com/articles/Features_Use/TiVo-Remotes-RF-Pairing-Instructions

I use Amazon, and have never found your (very strange) behavior.

3. Jeff Anderson

Jeff Anderson New Member

Aug 8, 2017
    Thanks for the link! That is a huge help.

The remote's "activity" LED was RED (IR mode). I've placed it into RF (wireless) mode and have paired it with the Bolt. The remote's range now seems fine with Netflix/Amazon.

Still, very weird that my peanut's range would decrease in IR mode. I wonder if this might explain others' complaints re: remote not working for Netflix, etc.

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Glad it's working. I have a lot of interference causing the remote to drop into IR mode frequently. I live with it.