"Bolt Pro" speculation

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by tarheelblue32, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Oct 14, 2015 #1 of 165
    tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    So, I've been thinking about this since Ira's fireside chat with all of us. He clearly seemed to indicate that a replacement for the Roamio Plus/Pro is likely coming sometime next year, but was scarce on the details. What does everyone else think that we are likely to see in the upcoming Roamio Pro replacement?

I suppose the first question is what will it be called? I would think that "Bolt Pro" would be the most likely name. And will they keep with the white/curved design of the Bolt, or will the enclosure be more traditional? How many tuners will it have? Surely it would have to be at least 6, but could it be more? And finally, will it be digital cable only or will there be OTA tuners also?

I don't think that TiVo is going to get too crazy with the "Bolt Pro", because it will also need to double as their MSO box in the future. I think that will mean using the more traditional shape, because MSOs aren't going to want some funky curved box. I also think this means no OTA capabilities. MSOs aren't going to want OTA tuners in a box meant for their cable systems. It's possible that TiVo could put them in there just for the retail boxes, but that would hurt the manufacturing efficiencies from standardizing the retail and MSO hardware. I also think that this means there will be at least 6 but no more than 8 tuners. MSOs aren't going to want to go higher than that 8 or want 2 CableCards to support more than 8 tuners.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Oct 14, 2015 #2 of 165
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Pretty sure it will be 6 tuners. Current Tuning Adapters which many TiVo users need I don't think support more than 6, so that's one compelling reason for TiVo to keep it at 6 max.

3. Oct 14, 2015 #3 of 165
    waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Of course there will be a larger HD. The question is how large. We are sure it will be at least 6 GB. If they really want to make this a "Top of the line" machine I would speculate that they will have a 6 TB drive.

4. Oct 14, 2015 #4 of 165
    waynomo

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Forgetting tuners and HD, what kind of enhancements could they put in the box to improve its performance?

Could it handle more formats of video? Could it handle what is there now better? What about different audio capabilities?

5. Oct 14, 2015 #5 of 165
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    2-3 TB is plenty for me, so hopefully there will be an unit with smaller built in drive available if they do offer 4+ TB units. Not really sold on the Bolt and recurring yearly charges yet though so may be moot point.

6. Oct 14, 2015 #6 of 165
    waynomo

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    3 TB is plenty for me also, but given there has always been an increase in HD size whenever a new model has been released I would be surprised if they didn't continue with that precedent. Perhaps it makes sense for them to do a plus/pro option of 3 TB or 6 TB.

If 4k or ultra HD (or whatever you want to call it) broadcast television ever becomes a reality how much more space does a program take up on a HD? (Broadcast would include cable companies, etc. Anything you record to watch later)

7. Oct 14, 2015 #7 of 165
    tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    If MSOs wanted to go to 8 tuners, I'm pretty sure they could get the firmware updated on the CableCards and Tuning Adapters to handle 8 tuners. And MSO boxes don't usually need Tuning Adapters anyways. They can usually handle SDV internally if needed. It's really a question of whether or not the MSOs want to push it to 8 tuners or not.

8. Oct 14, 2015 #8 of 165
    CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Technically 8 streams is currently possible with Cisco, although I doubt much testing has been done in the field, as I do not know of any 8 tuner equipment. TiVo would have to push pretty hard to get the MSOs to test and deploy firmware to support equipment used only by TiVo.

The Cisco PKM908 CableCARD is an 8 stream Card
    The Cisco Tuning Adapter currently supports 8 sessions with firmware F.2001.

But that leaves all of Motorola out which accounts for ~50% of Cable subs, unless ARRIS has something in the works.

9. Oct 14, 2015 #9 of 165
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Hi,
    My guess is the Bolt Pro changes will be modest, 6 tuners and a larger 2.5" hd (3TB). I would prefer to see a slightly larger case with better ventilation to accommodate larger 3.5" hard drives, but what I would like to see matters zero as I am pretty certain the design and features are already pretty much fixed.

10. Oct 14, 2015 #10 of 165
    SullyND

SullyND W: 33-9 (Camping World Bowl) TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    My guess is essentially a Roamio Pro with a new bezel and updated hardware.

11. Oct 14, 2015 #11 of 165
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    6 tuners is a given since that is what the Roamio Pro has. And the hard drive couldn't be less than 3TB since the Romaio Pro has 3TB. I really can't see it being much different than the Roamio Pro except with a newer and faster chipset. Like the Broadcom one that can transcode four streams. I could see a 4TB, 3.5 inch drive since those prices have come down and WD does have an A/V version.

12. Oct 14, 2015 #12 of 165
    BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Nothing super fancy or outrageous.

A more traditional form factor (so MSO partners don't reject it), 6 tuners, 1 and 3 TB, 4 transcode streams, uses the BCM7445 chip Tivo/Broadcom ran a press release on last year (so it'll basically be twice as powerful as the Bolt).

What might interest me more is what Tivo does in software. They're phasing out old code, and probably have more UI plans other than just a color swap. They'll be at a point where the hardware will let them do some interesting things if they want to, like show all tuners on the screen at once as a fancy tuner-selection trick, or whatever. They can be more inventive. Will they? Who knows. But the hardware itself is, I think, fairly predictable.

13. Oct 14, 2015 #13 of 165
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    If Ira hadn't said what he did, I would have voted that the "Bolt Pro" would be 6 tuner 3TB version of the Bolt. But Ira's statement indicates that he expects it to be much more than that. So what would much more be? Ira eliminated built in UHD Blu-ray and his answer to OTA & cable seemed to not eliminate that possibility but also made is sound like something they weren't actively working on.

Perhaps he wasn't really talking about hardware and the "much more" will be mostly software related. If that is the case I fall back to a cable only 6 tuner 3TB Bolt. If the drive is 2.5 or 3.5 will depend on what cable partners indicate they want. Of course I would love it to be 6 tuner OTA or Cable but until we see someone making a 6 tuner combo OTA/cable tuner setup for TiVo to buy that is impossible.

14. Oct 14, 2015 #14 of 165
    BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    This would be highly speculative, but if Tivo and Comcast iron out their downloadable security plan they're working on independently from the DSTAC process, there's no reason for a 6 tuner limit, at least for Comcast customers. They could drop in more tuners for companies who license the new security.

I'm not predicting it, but it's a thing.

15. Oct 14, 2015 #15 of 165
    innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Could we also see a further envisioning of the Mega?

Maybe make the Plus model 6 tuner with 3TB and a Pro with 12 tuners, requiring two CableCARDs, and 6 or 8TB.

Personally I would want a minimum of 6 tuners and a minimum of 3TB. I definitely would prefer more space. If it wasn't for the 6 tuner limitation I would agree that something with 8 tuners would be nice. 12 would be overkill for me.

16. Oct 14, 2015 #16 of 165
    jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I'm hoping they make it easier to add your own drive. Perhaps they will add to user upgradable driver offerings, so they can offer one model and accessories to let folks go nuts with the storage.

17. Oct 14, 2015 #17 of 165
    thefisch

thefisch Member

Jul 25, 2015
    bigger form factor, black color, 6 tuners, storage starting at 3TB with a 6TB option, and a fully enabled stream.

18. Oct 14, 2015 #18 of 165
    trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    The thing will be $1500. And is going to be a version of the Tivo Mega for the enthusiast Tivo user.

19. Oct 14, 2015 #19 of 165
    HeadsUp7Up

HeadsUp7Up Member

Oct 28, 2014
    Now that would be something that would make me update. I'd love it if it could do something similar to the interface DirecTV has for Sunday Ticket, Denon's Instaprevue, or just regular Picture-In-Picture.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/COzu77DWgAAcJ2G.jpg:large

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/_o7MFNlUbIA/maxresdefault.jpg

20. Oct 14, 2015 #20 of 165
    gigaguy

gigaguy Member

Aug 29, 2013
    I was spoiled by my Sony DHG dvrs I had, so bookmark setting (with Titles) and adjustable buffers would be great to see on a Tivo. Editing recordings would be great but probably not allowed by content owners. Sometimes long awards shows or concerts have only 5-10 min id like to keep.