Bolt Plus Nightmare

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by philnj1211, Sep 23, 2016.

1. philnj1211

philnj1211 Member

Feb 19, 2016

Advertisements

Last Friday I received a Bolt Plus from Amazon (through Weaknees). Four cable cards, and a truck roll from cable company Comcast resulted in the inability to pair a cable card. Every channel was getting a V52 error. Returned to Amazon, and received a new Tivo Bolt plus today. It will not even power on! Now, Tivo is going to ship me a replacement directly from them. By the way, I tried using a working Tivo in the location where everything has failed, resulted in normal activity. Anyways, my question is have I been unlucky twice? Or is the Bolt Plus causing a lot of troubles for others. Can't tell you how frustrated I am dealing with customer reps and hold times with both Comcast and Tivo.

2. Fant

Fant Member

Aug 31, 2016
    The not pairing this sounds like a Comcast problem. The not powering on sounds like a TiVo problem.

3. pfiagra

pfiagra Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2014
    Always two there are; no more, no less. - Yoda

4. philnj1211

philnj1211 Member

Feb 19, 2016
    It has always been a struggle getting cards paired. This time on the "conditional access" screen - it was blank from the line with "Con Access" on. Finally, I gave up and sent for a replacement. Then received the DOA model. Kind of makes you question paying for this "premium service".

5. thyname

thyname Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia

Advertisements

As he said.

I got mine today (directly from WeaKnees), and set it up with no issues.

I am always nervous with CableCards, as they are alway hit or miss. Even the official TiVo welcome email tells us to get FIVE CableCards just in case (copy/paste):

Cable subscribers, your CableCARD is critical!
    While the cable setup process is easy, there are a few potential hiccups we'd like to help you avoid. But trust us, the TiVo BOLT+ experience is going to blow your mind. To get set up as quickly as possible, we recommend calling your cable provider to order a CableCARD™ now. Ask for five CableCARDs in case one doesn't connect to the BOLT+ on the first try. They can be finicky.

6. bkc56

bkc56 Designated Grunt

Apr 29, 2001
    Santa Rosa,...
    I got 2 regular Bolts a few weeks ago and 2 cablecards from Comcast. Each one worked first time (after a call to comcast to activate them) with no problem. I'm not saying my success is typical, but getting 5 cards (assuming an 80% failure rate) per unit seems extreme.

7. PaulMCO

PaulMCO New Member

Jul 17, 2016
    Treasure...
    Definitely extreme. Likely bad TiVo Sw and new design blues and certainly quality issues. Have two Roamios and cable cards from comcrap paired with no issues on first try.

8. thyname

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    I agree. Definitely extreme. I was just posting the email I got from TiVo. I am sure you guys got the same email.

I would say getting three would be more reasonable. It happened to me once before with my previous brand new Roamio Plus at launch a few years ago. The one I had ordered was dead, and the only one that Cox tech had in truck was not working either. Had to wait for the third one in the mail to work.

Now with Verizon, not an issue, since I can easily drive a few minutes to the Verizon store and pick one up. Yesterday, I just swapped the CableCard from Bolt to Bolt+ just received, did pairing with Verizon via chat, and no issues.

9. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Did you try the online Cablecard pairing website for "Con"cast, or call their Cablecard hotline number, or did you just call their normal CS #?

10. philnj1211

philnj1211 Member

Feb 19, 2016
    I called the number that comes up when you go to the pairing screen. The number is specifically for cable card installs. I will have four new cards, and a new Tivo box - hopefully by the end of the week. It has never been easy, but this time is the worst experience. Been through the procedure six times previously.

11. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Unfortunately Comcast does not provide the dedicated CableCard phone number on that screen. Use the following number:

Comcast CableCard Activation Number
    1-877-405-2298

or try their online tool for self-activation

https://activatecablecard.xfinity.com/cablecardactivate/

My experience with the dedicated phone number above was good when I moved a CableCard from one of our S3's to our Roamio last fall.

Scott

12. Fant

Fant Member

Aug 31, 2016
    If they have it paired correctly on their end, shouldn't they be able to tell you the device id it is paired with so that you can confirm it matches?

13. philnj1211

philnj1211 Member

Feb 19, 2016
    The first machine, they kept saying it was paired correctly. However, no picture - just a blank screen with a V53 error. Three different cable cards were tried.

14. Jed1

Jed1 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Frackville, PA.
    Retail devices have a Uni directional CableCard slot so it can only receive messages from the cable headend. The TiVo can not send messages back so the cable company has no way of knowing if the card is paired correctly to the box.
    Also it is extremely rare that CableCards are defective and if it is it will display a CableCard error code that will be in a large black box on your TV screen.
    Most likely the CableCards are not staged properly or were used in another device and not reset. The pairing information will stroed in the card and if the previous pairing or failed pairing is not cleared then the card will not pair with your device as it is still going by the old pairing data stored in the card.

15. philnj1211

philnj1211 Member

Feb 19, 2016
    When pairing a cable card, does it matter if the Tivo box is connected via Moca or via wifi?

16. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    No, the connection should not care.

I would escalate with the Comcast cares email address, and make sure they document what they are doing on the account. I've even gone to the FCC to complain- can't hurt and its easy to do online.

On your first box, I believe that they were just not getting the right setting on their side. I've had to keep complaining until they got a tech who can work some of the non-CSR viewable screens to get it to work right.

Do not fall for a truck roll. Unless the cable is bad, it is NOT needed. They will just call their back-office contact.

17. philnj1211

philnj1211 Member

Feb 19, 2016
    The replacement Bolt plus arrived yesterday. Powered on, did all updates correctly. Called Comcast to pair with cable card. Once again - no picture. This time, I had three additional cards. Card number two worked! All is good, this after phone call after phone call and so much wasted time troubleshooting. Are these cards that finicky, or is it lack of knowledge on the Comcast end?

Thanks to all who gave suggestions, it is much appreciated!

18. thyname

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    Yes to both.

Glad you got it working, and smart you loaded up on spare CableCards

Enjoy your Bolt!

19. dhoward

dhoward Member

Mar 15, 2002
    Does the Comcast website work if you are swapping the cablecard from one Tivo to another?

20. thyname

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    I don't have Comcast, but I just read the other day on another forum that it does NOT