Bolt Plus issue: No lights and no video outpout

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by preilly44, Mar 28, 2017.

1. preilly44

preilly44 Member

May 31, 2011
    Hello, so my Bolt+ is powering on when I plug it in (I hear the fan and the hard drive spool up) but there are no lights on the front of the device and no video output. I've tried cold booting it (removing the cable card, Ethernet, coax and AC power for 30 minutes) with no luck. Does this sound like a power supply issue? Does anybody have any ideas on how to resolve the issue?

Thanks in advance!

2. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Contact Tivo and see about a replacement.
    BTW it is not a good idea to remove the cable card. On many systems, it will unpair the card.

3. preilly44

preilly44 Member

May 31, 2011
    Quick update, I resolved my issue by swapping out the Bolt+ AC adapter with my Bolt AC adapter. Apparently, just the AC adapter died.

4. bhshmo

bhshmo New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    preilly44, I am having the same issue - sound or drives whirring but no lights or video. I only have one Bolt. Are you sure it was just a matter of swapping out the power supply? Im not sure what to do next.

5. preilly44

preilly44 Member

May 31, 2011
    Unfortunately, the resolution I stated didn't last. I plugged it in and unplugged it about 6 times with no issues but the last time I unplugged it and plugged it back in the same thing happened (no lights, fan, HDD running). I've left it unplugged for a few days and I'm going to try to plug it in again tomorrow or the next day to hopefully get my recordings off it.

Let me know if you find a resolution and I'll do the same.

6. tempo

tempo New Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I have had this same problem with two(!) Bolt+ DVRs.

It happens when I power cycle the box. The red LED flickers once, then no lights at all. And there's no video output.

However, if I let the box cool down for about 10-15 minutes, it starts up normally. It makes me nervous about the long-term viability of the power supply.

I'm surprised there haven't been more posts regarding this issue. Have other people been able to power cycle their Bolts reliably?

7. jlin

jlin Member

Nov 20, 1999
    Santa Monica
    I have similar issue. No video output to our HDTV unless we reboot the Bolt.

I read in the manual that it must use the HDMI 2.0 cable that it came with. It's impossible to do with my situation since the Tivo is in a cabinet located far away from the TV. The HDMI is already pre-routed inside the drywall.

We didn't have such issue when using the other Roamio's.

8. preilly44

preilly44 Member

May 31, 2011
    That is how mine started...now it doesn't power on at all. If it is still under warranty, you should argue for a new unit. It shouldn't have issues powering on like that.

9. robostock

robostock Member

Feb 8, 2008
    I'm having the same problems with my Bolt+. From day one, when I had to unplug it to redo the wiring, it failed to power up. It took about an hour of plugging and unplugging before it booted up. I've had it for about a month and I added a Mini yesterday.

But during the setup of the mini, it would not recognized the Bolt. So, the Tivo rep told me to unplug the Bolt+ first. I did it with much apprehension and, as luck would have it, it did not boot up.

Speaking with the rep, I need to replace it and I have two options:
    Standard:
    • send it back
    • lose all my shows
    • have no Tivo service for 2 weeks
    • Wait for a REFURBISHED one

Advance:
    • Wait for a refurbished replacement
    • Charge my credit card $499
    • Send my new Bolt back
    • Wait for my refund

So, basically I'm going to spend $1170 (I got the service plan) for a month of Tivo.

I'll want to try the HDMI, but I don't want to unplug it and lose my service.

BTW: It is working now.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  10. robostock

robostock Member

Feb 8, 2008
    I agree. Mine is only a month old and it had problems from the first day. Too bad you don't work for Tivo. :)

11. Rkstr

Rkstr New Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Same issue, no lights on unit or video output. I can hear the fan and have unplugged it a few times. Tivo is sending me a refurb. My units was 5m old.

12. robostock

robostock Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Sorry to hear that. Were you able to get the Bolt to booted up? Which option did you replacement option did you choose? The standard or advance?
    I think I'm going to have to go to advance to transfer save my shows.

13. robostock

robostock Member

Feb 8, 2008
    After a week of going back and forth with TiVo, They're are supposedly sending me a new Bolt+. They're letting me keep the original one so that I may transfer the shows from the old to the new. Best part of it was that I didn't have to put a deposit on the new one. Thumbs up:up::up: for that one.

But I did spend 1.5 hours on the phone with them for a separate issue. That was painful.

14. mauidad

mauidad New Member

Jun 30, 2017
    Same problem (lights out, no video, but drive still running) - 8 weeks old. After a lengthy tech support call, had to do an advanced replacement of our 2nd Bolt+ today. This unit we are now replacing is itself an advanced replacement for our first new Bolt+ unit we received 11 weeks ago (which failed to pair with SuddenLink cable cards). I concur, this is a painful process getting a Bolt+ to work reliably, we've also purchased 6 new Tivo Mini's that with it so we continue to persevere.

15. JGC650I

JGC650I New Member

Sep 1, 2013
    So, this same issue just happened to me on a Bolt+. Trying the let it sit for a while and then try to reboot route. What a pain.

16. robostock

robostock Member

Feb 8, 2008
    I was lucky enough to get a new Bolt+ for my replacement. They were going to ship be a refurb unit as a replacement, but I convinced them I should be sent a new one. I think I got a new one as opposed to a refurb one because I reported the issue from day one. But, when it occurred again two weeks later, I argued that I should be sent a new one since it was bad from right out of the box.

I did luck out that they sent me the new replacement before I sent them the original. I think they call it an Advance Upgrade. This allowed me to transfer my shows over to the new Bolt+. Kudos to Tivo for that one.

My replacement is working fine for so far. Hopefully we just got some bad luck with our Bolts and not a reflection of the quality.

17. robostock

robostock Member

Feb 8, 2008
    How old is it? Did you get it to work again?

18. icespide

icespide New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    found this thread as this just happened to my barely a month old Bolt + luckily I still have my roamio Pro sitting around. I'll call TiVo in the morning and see about a replacement, hope it's smooth sailing after that...

19. robostock

robostock Member

Feb 8, 2008
    How did the sailing with TiVO go?:grinning:

20. icespide

icespide New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    shipped off my dead bolt yesterday. They'll send a new one when they receive the old one. They credited me for the extra month of service on my roamio Pro in the meantime