Bolt OTA- skip mode- how well does it work?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by caseybea, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Oct 4, 2017 #1 of 10
    caseybea

caseybea Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Hi all!

So, I've had my Premiere for 7 years and just jumped on board the 99 lifetime swap deal for a Bolt. While I'm personally excited for well, just having relatively current technology again (and streaming!), my primary question here is, how well does the commercial-skip function work for OTA recordings? (NO cable).

My wife abhors commercials, but to be honest she's kinda lousy with the remote we have with the Premiere. When she's 'jumping ahead' (either the 30-second skip, or just fast-forwarding..), her reaction times are a bit slow and she always over-does it, and then has to rewind... DRIVES ME INSANE.

A properly-working skip-mode could save our marriage, hahahaha. Does the skip mode only work on certain shows? Does it work better for OTA (like us), or cable..?

Thanks in advance for any insight from you folks who now HAVE bolts.... !

2. Oct 4, 2017 #2 of 10
    chicagobrownblue

chicagobrownblue Well-Known Member

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    It works very well on mostly popular primetime shows from my cable provider. You just push the D button or, I think, Up Channel. Skip mode is usually available minutes after the show ends.

3. Oct 4, 2017 #3 of 10
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Here's a list of the networks that can have SkipMode (SM):
    Popup - SkipMode channels

SM is tied to the program and I have 99% accuracy. There are failures, like last night's The Late Show. These are usually caused by bad data (closed captioning or metadata). Channel Up is easy to hit, and if you are not using Dolby, a chime will let you know you can hit the button. Since Thursday Night Football on CBS will shift The Late Show, I'd expect it to not have SM. Plus it has no description.

It can be addicting. That also means when it fails you will feel bad.

4. Oct 4, 2017 #4 of 10
    sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Hmm, is there a skinny cable package with just those channels. Seems like most of what I record. :)

5. Oct 4, 2017 #5 of 10
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Since every cable company has their own lineup for various tiers, I can't think of any way to find the skinny package you will need and its cost. My cable company has 90% of their stuff on-line, so my channels are easy to configure. Plus recently they dropped the extra charge for HD. If they handled cable cards as well as Comcast I would rate them as a 10. But they do know how to pair a cable card, so it's never a problem.

When I miss something I check my TV and Roku 3. But those streaming services frequently use your cable company's login.

6. Oct 4, 2017 #6 of 10
    caseybea

caseybea Member

Oct 14, 2010
    99%? nice. I found the info on it I had missed earlier, I see it's tied to the network and show. So for MY most common shows (things like: Hawaii 5-0, Big Bang, Grey's, etc), looks like most of them should be SM-enabled and I'll be golden. Can't wait!

I've gotten super good at forwarding through via my PREMIERE, it's gonna be hard to shift to a single button press. But somehting tells me I'll get really used to it. Quickly.

7. Oct 4, 2017 #7 of 10
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    As for the Premiere. You can't use SM. However, if a program has SM, and you put it on the Premiere, then move it back to your Bolt, it will regain SM. Yeah, SM is sweet.

8. Oct 5, 2017 #8 of 10
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    You will definitely get used to it quickly. We did when we moved from 2 S3's to 1 Roamio Pro. And we use the Channel Up to skip forward.

Scott

Nickipedia likes this.
  9. Oct 5, 2017 #9 of 10
    caseybea

caseybea Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Well, once my bolt goes live my premiere is going away. I have no reason to keep it. Boat anchor.

10. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Since I can access the recordings easily, I leave it connected for storage. I only apply power on Saturday. Transfer rate is ok. It is good to have a second opinion on some problems. Example, the guide in a Premiere is a day longer than a Roamio. Don't know why, don't care.