Bolt OTA read 72 Signal Strength even on channels I don't receive.

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by klyde, Jul 21, 2019.

1. klyde

klyde Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Alabama,...
    Wind storm blew my antenna sideways. I loaded the SS meter to tune the weakest station in and now all channels read 72 even channels I dont get. I disconnect the antenna input and they drop to 0 but as soon as I connect it back I get 72 on EVERY station. Tried rebooting, no help, put an attenuator inline, I can get it down to 54 but again ALL stations read the same. Peak 0 and 72 which is the agc.
    I cant use it at all to tune stations. Any ideas of the problem or how to tune in stations for max SS?

2. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    I think on the OTA model, that the signal strength tops out at 72. If that is the case apparently you made a good guess when you put it back up.
    Do your channels come in now?

3. klyde

klyde Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Alabama,...
    The peak reads the max and the max is 0. Besides blank channels should not read 72. I have used the meter many , many times. Its wonky to read 72 on every channel freq, even those where there is NO signal.

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It's broken. You can tune a station then look at the level. But once it finds a level, it doesn't move. There's a thread about it somewhere.

BTW, 72% is normal after AGC is applied.

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    On both UI versions (TE3 & TE4)?

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  7. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I think it's just TE4.

21.9.1.v9

I thought it was just Bolt.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    krkaufman likes this.
  8. klyde

klyde Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Alabama,...
    Mine is a little different but similar to those other threads. I do have the affected software version but My romeo is fine, its only the bolt.
    Also Any channel Im on reads the same, other threads said if you tuned a channel and go to the SS it would show the SS but then go to 72, mine is just locked. I suppose its just Tivos way to force you to upgrade as they cripple your box.

9. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Yes, the OTA signal strength screen is broken, and it has been for a long time. There is a fix coming with a future release (according to a TiVo technician I worked with), but I have no idea when you will see it. In the mean time, your only option to see signal strength is to tune to a channel and then look at the Diagnostics screen.

10. klyde

klyde Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Alabama,...
    thanks for that, although my diagnoses screen only also reads 72.

11. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    72 % is a great number for the signal strength - it just means that your signal STRENGTH (NOT the same as signal "quality") is as good as it gets. The Bolt uses an automatic gain control (AGC) circuit to reduce overly hot signals to 72%, so with OTA, you should never see a higher number than that except for a split second after you tune in a hot channel and get a glimpse of the higher number before the AGC drops it down to 72.

The Bolt will give a perfect picture with any signal strength between about 42 and 72, as long as it is a GOOD CLEAN signal, meaning low noise and low or absent reflected signals. The quality of the signal received at the device is much more important than the strength.

"Noise" on a broadcast signal can be introduced by unlimited external factors, such as electrical motors, microwaves, or competing signals on the same frequency, and also by internal factors, meaning anything that touches the wire after the signal is received by the antenna, such as each coax connection. Loose wire connections are particularly bad for introducing noise to a signal. In fact, every device through which the signal passes will add its own noise to the signal - even a signal amplifier will make the signal a little worse while simultaneously increasing the strength! But the two worst things that can affect your reception are either an unstable signal, or a signal with multiple reflections of the same thing (called multi-path), each arriving at slightly different times (such as a signal reflected off of a nearby building reaching your antenna microseconds after the primary signal has already been received.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  12. klyde

klyde Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Alabama,...
    72 is not always so great. I fought Tivo for a month over the fact that one station was overloaded. I had to but an attunitator just for tthat station to knock the SS down other wise the station had drop outs pixtalation and other problems. Tivo didn't even know about the AGC including a supervisor. It took me about 10 calls to find out why. Also since I live on a bluff 1300 feet above everything and nobody lives next door and there is no emf anywhere around me thats not a problem.