Bolt OTA MOCA POE Placement

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by finstead, Mar 19, 2020.

1. finstead

finstead New Member

Jan 1, 2008
    South...
    I have attached a file showing my setup. I have established MOCA in a manner in which I do not believe that a POE filter is necessary to prevent signal propagation. I wonder, though, if a POE would increase the efficiency of the system. If so, I am not certain where it should be placed. I am wondering if it should be after the basement switch and before the MM1000; there would be a splitter with the "input" leg connected to the MM1000, and one "output" leg connected to the switch, and the other "output" leg connected to the POE. Many thanks in advance for your advice. Finstead Bolt OTA Setup.jpeg

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Why do you have 2 modems? Office Cable Modem, Office Wifi modem.... or should they be routers?

I suspect POE would be before the cable modem.

3. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    This particular system doesn't need a PoE filter, and will not benefit in any way by adding one.

krkaufman and finstead like this.
  4. finstead

finstead New Member

Jan 1, 2008
    South...
    Snerd: Many Thanks!

snerd likes this.
  5. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    I disagree. You do need a POE filter on the antenna feed.

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Why? There aren’t any MoCA signals present on that segment of coax; the MoCA network is restricted to the isolated coax segment between the main MoCA adapter and the Minis, not getting near the modem or antenna points of entry.

snerd and finstead like this.
  7. finstead

finstead New Member

Jan 1, 2008
    South...
    krkaufman: Many thanks. This was my understanding from the beginning based on your previous postings to this forum. I have not understood the "reflecting" or "mirroring" effects of a POE in a closed MOCA system and was wondering if the POE was necessary from an efficiency standpoint rather than from a radiating standpoint; snerd implies that the POE is not necessary from this standpoint, either.

krkaufman likes this.
  8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Your MoCA segment is simple enough that there would be no benefit in altering it to a more typical hierarchy (all nodes downstream of splitter outputs), where a MoCA filter’s reflectivity might be of benefit.

9. tapokata

tapokata Active Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    Probably not a huge difference, as the MoCA enabled coax part of the network is modest, however..

You could swap out the upstairs splitter to the Minis to a MoCA rated three way splitter. Add a PoE filter with a 75 ohm terminator on the input port of the splitter, and the drops from the mini locations and MM1000 to the output port. You would benefit from the reflectance offered by the PoE, offset by the slightly greater insertion loss from the 3-way compared to the 2-way.

That said, if your signal rates are satisfactory at the mini locations, then leave well enough alone. As pointed out by the esteemed Snerd and KRK, your plant is well isolated.

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Since the Minis will never communicate with each other, the original hierarchy is optimal.

snerd likes this.
  11. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Exactly, and by a wide margin. The MoCA signals only go from the MM1000 to the minis, so they only pass down through the "coax/splitter tree". Setting this up like a conventional MoCA system with a 3-way splitter and a PoE filter would essentially double signal loss and only add more potential failure points to the system.

krkaufman likes this.