Bolt OTA 8.5 months old and failed

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by JimmyDean, Mar 10, 2020.

Should I exchange the Tivo Bolt OTA or swap in a 2TB drive

1. Exchange the Bolt OTA with Tivo - $50

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Install a new Toshiba 2TB drive - $50

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. JimmyDean

JimmyDean New Member

Jun 18, 2019
    I have an 8.5 month old Bolt OTA with voice remote and 1TB (Western Digital Hard drive from the factory) that came up with the "serious problem ... wait 3 hours" message. I called support and they had me unplug everything and start the 3 hours again and it will not start up. I'm getting the blue light on the front panel and occasionally the yellow or orange blinking light next to it. It cycles through the "serious problem" message to the Tivo logo to the "starting up" message and loops every few minutes through this.

From day one I have had it raised off the floor with risers, with the cable card door off and with a USB fan blowing (correctly) to keep the unit cool and have never even felt the case get very warm with this setup so I don't think I have a temperature problem

Support wants $50 to exchange the unit, no warranty. The Toshiba MQ03ABB200 2TB 2.5" x 15mm drive can also be purchased for about $50 on Amazon. Either way I'll be down a few days with shipping and will lose all of my saved programs (bummer but not the EOW). More space is nice but not necessary.

Would I be better off switching the drive out?

I've read lots of threads on the drive and some are having good results with the drive swap. Any current advice appreciated. I'll keep the thread posted to payback any learning as I proceed with drive swap or unit exchange.

The Bolt OTA does what I need it to do, recording from my antenna and letting me watch on the TV or stream to my Android devices. I like the unit, hoping to make it more reliable.

2. DaveB673

DaveB673 New Member

Jan 1, 2020
    I am not sure which way you will go, but if it's the drive, I'd say buy a 2GB and press.
    Also, I have been experimenting with cooling on the TiVo Bolt. I have seen an 8-10 degree temperature drop by standing the Bolt vertically on the straight short side, with the angled side in the air. Mine would run 63-64 degrees when flat, even when I elevated it a 1/4" on all four corners. But, with the Bolt vertical, it's run 53-55 degrees. At least according to the ODT number in system information.

Mikeguy likes this.
  3. JimmyDean

JimmyDean New Member

Jun 18, 2019
    Thanks for the tip on cooling. I was seeing high 50s with my configuration so I will try your method once I get it running again. So if I see this in my mind correctly the fan is at the bottom vertical method? Do you take the cable card door off? Are you running an external fan?

4. DaveB673

DaveB673 New Member

Jan 1, 2020
    No, I left all the panels in place. No external fan either. The fan is at the top. If you were to pop the panel open on the angled part, you'd see the fan right there.

5. RegGuheert

RegGuheert Member

Mar 16, 2019
    FWIW, here is what I did for free that got my Bolt OTA's ODT down from 58°C to 37°C: Replacing Noisy Bolt Fan & Power

6. LarryAtHome

LarryAtHome Active Member

Feb 18, 2008
    If you exchange it with TiVo it will be working.... if you replace the hard drive and it does not work then you are without a working TiVo.

7. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    You could try replacing the drive first and then if that doesn't work you could put the old drive back in and send it back to Tivo for a replacement. You could also check the original drive on a PC to see if it is healthy and format the drive on the PC and reinstall it to let tivo reformat it and see if it works.

8. JimmyDean

JimmyDean New Member

Jun 18, 2019
    Thanks for all the tips on this discussion. I ordered the Toshiba 2gb for $50 on Amazon. My thoughts were as above if it failed I would have a 2Gb drive for 50 as a backup, put the bad drive in and send it to Tivo for replacement. My fear was that Tivo would send a another defective WD 1Tb drive that would fail within months. I'm hoping the Toshiba 2gb lasts at least a couple of years. It arrived this evening. I put it in and the unit started right up. I had to go through setup and downloading of updates and downloading of the guide is underway. First recording appear to have worked perfectly and I have doubled my storage. My only difficulty was getting the remote to pair with RF. Finally it worked after changing batteries and at least two dozen failed attempts. Now it is RF paired and the voice remote works. Now I just have to remember what passes I had setup and get them back in.

Next up is getting a backup drive. I'll be searching on how to make a backup so if it fails again I have a record of my passes and preferences etc.

Thanks again!

Mikeguy likes this.
  9. PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    2GB what a downgrade, I'd go 2TB

Sent from my SM-T837P using Tapatalk

10. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    A bolt will reformat a new drive, even if it was formatted for the bolt and then your previous drive would be reformatted if you try to put it back in the bolt. Maybe you could make an exact copy of your existing drive with a disk duplicating utility, but the only way to verify is to try it in the bolt and if it fails you lose everything.

11. DaveB673

DaveB673 New Member

Jan 1, 2020
    Whoops! Good catch.

And, here are pictures of my TiVo standing on its end.

Attached Files:

12. pfiagra

pfiagra Active Member

Oct 13, 2014
    I haven’t yet taught mine that trick. :D